Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
What the Yaris community needs to take the Yaris to the next level

Note I didn't post in the wheels section because the focus there is mainly "how to drop your car and add big wheels to impress your friends." Nothing wrong with that but the Yaris has much more potential.

I'm a Honda convert due to the fact that Honda abandoned its lightweight hatch niche.

The Yaris has a lot of potential with its 2200 lb curb weight, I'd say more potential than anything new short of a Lotus or Miata.

Now the problem is there is no real hard data as to what mods give us.

I would love to see something like this : TRD suspension + sway bar+ sticky tires give .9x g lateral acceleration and 7x mph slalom.

With the old Honda's there were formulas you could follow and know your track results at least ballpark figures. Nothing put a smile on my face more than buying a clean 93 Civic for $3000 and adding a formulated $2000 tires/suspension that guaranteed 70+mph Slalom and .9 gs. Cars that can handle like this for cheap are special and just make the daily commute FUN.

With the Yaris I am about to install $1500 worth of "stuff" and I have no idea what it gets me other than a better stance.

We should push TRD and other vendors to start doing track results, or possibly the magazines.

This will be the first step in making the Yaris a true tuner car, it has everything going for it but needs to be taken to the next level. Right now I see the Yaris owners making it a show car, but there really is potential modding into a fun sports car. And don't tell me it is a lacking power econobox, 8 second 0-60 mph is more than respectable as a sports car over the last 35 years and there has to be some real performance handling gains to be had.

I plan on finding somewhere to have a slalom and lateral acceleration measured after upgrading my suspension this weekend, anyone know where this could be done in the mid-atlantic area?

Last edited by regal; 04-24-2009 at 01:20 PM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote