Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Brettguy

Drives: 5 spd MT,black ASA iwheels
What kind of oil temperatures are you getting?

Thinking about buying something to show my oil pressure and temp since I currently have none. Anyone with gauges ever see oil temps higher than 230 or so? I just did another high-speed road trip and started thinking about this. Most experimental thing I would do is run a 0w or 5w40. just wondering if it would be justified for towing or 100mph driving

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Brettguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Interestingly, I have been thinking about this myself in light of my current project. That is, picking up some electronic gauges for both oil temp and pressure, as well as a trans temp gauge. I think Trevor Montague monitored his oil pressures and maybe temps too, but he tracks his car, so they would likely be higher. Then again, if you actually drive your Yaris at 100mph, well maybe you do need to investigate these variables. Wait...can a Yaris actually do 100 mph?

EDIT: On the topic, check out Trevor's post. He definitely sees temps over 230, lol.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...853#post823853

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-07-2019 at 10:17 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Brettguy

100mph takes patience trust me lol. But yeah I have pretty rare circumstances that let me drive that fast. The top factors for me I've found:

-Using a decent radar detector (in my case a uniden dfr7)
-Using waze for police sightings
-Keeping a little extra weight in the rear with some luggage real helps the car feel stable
- having a smooth/low traffic stretch of highway
- spending a lot of reading time on rdforum.com

Im obviously not 100% protected from a ticket using this but it makes driving 1000% more fun so for now it's worth it

Last edited by Brettguy; 04-08-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I've been to Germany several times and my 1 litre Yaris has probably spent about 30 hours of its life sat at around 100mph. I have no idea what the oil temperature was although my car is an oil burner and you do notice a burnt oil smell in the cabin after prolonged time at those speeds. No indications the car was overheating. My car seems to have suffered no ill effects though and i run Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 Fully synthetic.

Both of those times i had several hundred kilos of clothes/food/stuff and camping gear in the car so the ride felt quite pleasant. I'd imagine it might start to wallow a bit if the car was empty given how light they are.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettguy View Post
Thinking about buying something to show my oil pressure and temp since I currently have none. Anyone with gauges ever see oil temps higher than 230 or so? I just did another high-speed road trip and started thinking about this. Most experimental thing I would do is run a 0w or 5w40. just wondering if it would be justified for towing or 100mph driving

100mph although faster than a typical commute, is not necessarily much harder on an engine. Sure, the engine is working harder but no where near WOT with a full load on the engine. RPM's are elevated but that alone is not an indicator of engine or oil stress.

If you were going to get an oil gauge for curiosity's sake then get an oil pressure gauge. Temp is pretty much irrelevant as you will never get above or even close to 300F and a solid synthetic oil and even convention with proper oil change intervals can handle that for relatively brief windows of time.

Oil pressure is more important because it shows you if your engine oil is within factory spec for which the engineers designed the engine for. Temps can fluctuate but pressures may still be within spec and Toyota has very wide specs for oil pressures (at least for the 2zr engine). A manufacturer specifies an oil viscosity that keeps the pressure within the specs that they built the engine for. I almost made a wrong assumption and went with a 5w40 oil for this upcoming track season. I wrongfully assumed I was out of oil pressure spec as my idle pressure after a track session was 5-6psi with a 5w30 oil. I assumed because my on track oil temps (280-290*) were well above the standard operating temp of 212* that I needed to switch to a viscosity that would operate at the same viscosity at track temps as the factory weight does at 212*.

Based on a few factors and hours of hours of reading I will be going to a 0w20 for this upcoming season, even with my oil temps hitting 280-290*. The only way I will go back up to a 30w oil is if my oil pressure falls below toyota's spec.

Your driving habits definitely don't warrant a gauge, but if your curiosity does then grab an oil pressure gauge. You can T it off of the factory sensor location. Viscocity is not the important factor when it comes to wear and believe it or not neither is temp. 275*-315* has almost identical wear protection across all oils relative to themselves.

Read this extremely useful website https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/ if you want the short answer of what easy to find off the shelf cheap oil to run that will offer the most protection: go with Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic 0w20 (5w30 i suppose since you have the 1nz). The 0w20 has better wear protection but the 5w30 is still very high on the list.

Second best off the shelf oil would be Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. This is the oil I ran for 13k km straight last year, 800-900 of those km's were on the track and each time I hit 280* at least for around 10-30 mins. I posted my used oil analysis on this forum and it came back excellent

Your oil temps will not be hitting what I saw on the track since your engine is not nearly as stressed on the highway. I only started noticing the oil temps climb once my coolant got to 230* and that was about 10 minutes into a session of constant WOT and driving close to redline. To put it in perspective I would go through over 3/4 of a tank of gas in about 120km on the track. keep doing what you're doing just do your engine a favor and run one of the oils high on the list posted on 540ratblog
Old 04-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
Brettguy

This satisfies my curiosity so much thank you! I read the 540rat blog and he makes an extremely solid argument for sure. If he created a YouTube channel I would subscribe in a split second.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:41 AM   #7
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
noob question here..

do all yaris 2nzfe/1nzfe have oil temp gauge/sensors? or it is only available to some models.

i have the 2zne engine and i dont have the oil temp gauge however i have coolant temp gauge
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
lani100

Drives: Yaris T sport TRD turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfloyd170 View Post
noob question here..

do all yaris 2nzfe/1nzfe have oil temp gauge/sensors? or it is only available to some models.

i have the 2zne engine and i dont have the oil temp gauge however i have coolant temp gauge
No only oil pressure which is just a warning light.