Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Can the Yaris run on E85? Anybody try it?

The local Valero gas station by me sells E85 for like a buck cheaper than "real" gas.
Can the Yaris run corn juice????

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
E85 is costs less, but cars running it get FEWER MPG than regular gas...
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
pretty sure you have to have a "flex fuel" vehicle to run it but as previously stated your mileage will not be the same. it all evens out in the end.

if you have a vehicle that is made for it, I think it does better but it has to be made to run the stuff.

not 100% but that is what I think
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Sounds like a waste of corn/food!
I was also curious to see if the yaris fuel system could handle it without being damaged.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This is a good Q and A on E85. The main reason you "can't" use it in the Yaris is that the ECM isn't programmed to deal with the difference in target AFR required to use it. Also, it's not quite as economical as you might think, since if you added a piggyback (and larger injectors) to tune for it, you would use about 30% more E85 fuel.

http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/...E85_fuel_.html
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
If I recall right, the injectors cannot handle the e85 and also since there is
so much alcohol content in that stuff, it'll eat/rot out your fuel lines like no other.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
If I recall right, the injectors cannot handle the e85 and also since there is
so much alcohol content in that stuff, it'll eat/rot out your fuel lines like no other.
That turns out to be a fable. Vehicles built since the early 80's use rubber and plastics that are not susceptible to alcohol. The biggest concern with E85 is its ability to absorb water and hence corrode ferrous metal parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Enthanal use should be shunned by all consumers! Dont encourage these a holes by buying their crap!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I've driven my Yaris in 45 states and in some states the octane rating for the standard grade unleaded is 86 instead of 87. My car has never run differently to any noticeable degree after such fill ups and I've never had any fuel related part fail. However, re 85 octane gas, the previous posters on this thread could easily be correct.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
^ Hes not talking about 85 octane, but E85, i.e. a fuel blend that is 85% ethanol from corn or other biomass...

It's interesting to note that a lot of tuners seem to use E85 as a cheap alternative to race gas, since the octane rating is comparatively high... and they're not too concerned about mileage :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
barebonedvitz
return of the comeback

Drives: white '08LB..very nice,i like
so i guess no one hasn't used E85 yet huh?

any update OP?

this might help http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

i would do the conversion... if i had money.. hehe..

http://e85prices.com/california.html at the lower right corner of the page, there's a calculator.. unless someone has done actual mpg calcs on their yaris, we can only assume, that even with a 10-15% reduction in mpg, E85 is still a good deal..

93 Civic Si- SC/B18B1 - street beast
07 Red/BlackTop Yaris LB - died in a sandwich in 2010@168K.
08 White Yaris LB - daily beatnut...round 2!
barebonedvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Enthanal use should be shunned by all consumers! Dont encourage these a holes by buying their crap!
It's already blended in with your gas, and has been for a long time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#United_States

It's very hard to come up with something that can rival the energy density of petroleum based fuels. The fact that they can get as close as 70% from fermenting corn is pretty impressive.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
It's already blended in with your gas, and has been for a long time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#United_States

It's very hard to come up with something that can rival the energy density of petroleum based fuels. The fact that they can get as close as 70% from fermenting corn is pretty impressive.
no it isn't. Destroying a food source to use as fuel when a much better fuel is already in use is really dumb. It is one of the factors that is driving food prices up world wide. If we wanted to use alternative fuels, diesel and people that convert them to using old vegetable oil as fuel, now that is impressive.

Adding ethanol to gas makes it both more expensive and get worse gas mileage. It is a total disaster to everyone that does not sell corn for profit.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
E85 on a boosted 1nz would be
The only way to go. Yes, your target AFR is richer on E85, but you can make a lot more power per psi of boost simply because E85 has a much higher octane rating than even "premium" fuel, which allows you to gain back those timing retards you had to do on regular pump gas. Long story short, boost and E85 are a GREAT combo.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
^ Hes not talking about 85 octane, but E85, i.e. a fuel blend that is 85% ethanol from corn or other biomass...

It's interesting to note that a lot of tuners seem to use E85 as a cheap alternative to race gas, since the octane rating is comparatively high... and they're not too concerned about mileage :D
Oops.....I feel like a male version of Gilda Radner's Emily Litella on that one....I TRY to NEVER ASSUME......because look what happens when one does!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
I have used it many times in South Dakota area and no problem. There is usually a gallon of regular gas when I put it in.... no sweat.....the alcohol should clean injectors a little bit.

btw 310K on my 07 Yaris hatch. NO BULL
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That turns out to be a fable. Vehicles built since the early 80's use rubber and plastics that are not susceptible to alcohol. The biggest concern with E85 is its ability to absorb water and hence corrode ferrous metal parts.
Nope. Modern flex fuel car fuel lines are different composition than normal E10 fuel lines.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
i recently saw a gas station that stated their premium had no ethanol in it...my tank was full, else i would have filled up with it and seen what the difference was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote