Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Why ....I like it no stupid cut off line in the middle where up is dark down is light

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
+1

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #38
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Why ....I like it no stupid cut off line in the middle where up is dark down is light

I have projectors for my HID's with a proper cut off and I properly adjusted the headlight housing for height. I have no issues with there being no light above the cut off, I can see way more than just the road below/in front of me.

I also don't blind other drivers and I've had family members drive oncoming to my car as well as in front of me and both times they have reported having absolutely no blidness from my lights.

Costs me slightly more money and took longer to install by a few hours, but I now have much brifgtee lights than oem that look way better even when they aren't on and I don't cause a hazard to other drivers just so I can have brighter lights.

With the high beams on (projector flipped away) they are damn blinding and hurt your eyes.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I have projectors for my HID's with a proper cut off and I properly adjusted the headlight housing for height. I have no issues with there being no light above the cut off, I can see way more than just the road below/in front of me.

I also don't blind other drivers and I've had family members drive oncoming to my car as well as in front of me and both times they have reported having absolutely no blidness from my lights.

Costs me slightly more money and took longer to install by a few hours, but I now have much brifgtee lights than oem that look way better even when they aren't on and I don't cause a hazard to other drivers just so I can have brighter lights.

With the high beams on (projector flipped away) they are damn blinding and hurt your eyes.
Well I'm glad you like your setup and it works for you, most ppl will not have the means or knowledge to retrofit lights.
For my application it was simple plug and play and yes I have them adjusted correctly but honestly with all the new car and HIDs plus LEDs as OEM I could careless if I blind someone cos I get it all the time .
So far this setup works at least for me best with stock Yaris light assembly and no cut off is a major plus in my are where we have hills and curvey roads .

Just my 2 cents on that .

Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #40
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
No cutoff=dangerous and selfish. Being blinded by others' lights DOES cause crashes.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #41
tmontague

Quote:
Well I'm glad you like your setup and it works for you, most ppl will not have the means or knowledge to retrofit lights.
For my application it was simple plug and play and yes I have them adjusted correctly but honestly with all the new car and HIDs plus LEDs as OEM I could careless if I blind someone cos I get it all the time .
So far this setup works at least for me best with stock Yaris light assembly and no cut off is a major plus in my are where we have hills and curvey roads .

Just my 2 cents on that .

I won't argue with you that the no cut off helps in the roads up in your neck of the woods. I've driven them enough at night in bad conditions and was glad for my HID high beams - which is just hid's w/ not cut off. And yes your LED's are an easy and simple plug and play, no argument there.

My issue is exactly that, if you do not possess the knowledge (nor willing to learn it) or slight extra cash to add the extra lumens properly than it shouldn't be done.

I've been blinded many times by these half assed retrofits and depending on the type of roads/conditions im driving in it can become an issue of safety quite quickly.

The arguments in favor of these installs are always the same selfish stance ignorant to how those actions affect other people on the road. If it was for pure off road puposes with no other traffic I would easily understand, but to simply ignore the effects to others because of the convenience to oneself is selfish no matter what the opinion is.

To each their own, but more of these half assed installs on the roads will be ruining it for the people who have properly installed HID's with projectors so that they can improve appearance and actually see better. It won't be hard to ban non oem spec'd lights down the road unfortunately.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #42
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I'll just give my 2 cents. I just installed Morimoto Elite HIDs (5000k) into my Yaris hatch because I hated the OEM halogens. I really had to aim them down to prevent the light scatter from blinding oncoming traffic (I knew I had to do this before hand). Comparing it to my FR-S with OEM HID projectors (replaced the OEM Osram bulbs with Osram CBI bulbs, more around 5500k with same lumens as the ~4300k OEM), the Yaris has no where near the throw or the spread as the FR-S.

I thought about doing retrofits (as I did with my previous Yaris sedan), but I just didn't want to deal with possible condensation again (but to be fair, I opened the sedan's headlights like 10 times due to various headlight mods). In the future, if I ever decide on going with retrofits again, I'll be getting TRS's mini H1 projectors. They have a better road illumination than my FR-S OEM HID projectors (probably partly because of the D4S bulbs that the FR-S uses).

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...1-stage-3.html
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #43
Kaotic Lazagna

And if you don't want to take apart the headlights to do a projector retrofit (but can some how remove that shield/cover thing through the bulb opening), you can use these: https://www.amazon.com/Rover-Project...ini-projectors

I would have went with them, but they're built in HID bulbs, and are 6000k (wouldn't want anything more than 5000k unless they're Osram CBI). I wouldn't use anything less than Morimoto bulbs for HIDs, but that's just me.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #44
tmontague

Fwiw i only had condesation on one or m'y headlights after m'y original install when i tried reusing thé oem sealant. I then went To Lowes and bought à proper sealant that stays flexible and since then have had no issues in all types of weather and temperatures.

Imo if you don't want to deal with properly sealing them or the potential headache then don't do the mod, or pay for someone else to do it. Or like you did, manually point them down so they don't blind others - however this ends up leading to poor light patterns like you stated which brings me back to my previous point of do it properly or not at all
Old 01-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #45
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
No cutoff=dangerous and selfish. Being blinded by others' lights DOES cause crashes.
Really now ...Have you look at the pics I posted I guess not !
Actually no cut of is safer anyway u look at it and with proper alignment it does not blind ppl in actually I have yet anyone high beam me unlike with my HIDs and cut off.
And as for crashes ... to bright light, maybe we should remove all new cars with OEM LEDs and HIDs cos they are always way to dangerous as you say.

It's just funny how ppl like to state there bloody opinion with out any fact's ...O and here will attach a pic just so you can see what I'm talking about.

That is low beam

And high beam

Anyways be safe

Old 01-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #46
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #47
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Fwiw i only had condesation on one or m'y headlights after m'y original install when i tried reusing thé oem sealant. I then went To Lowes and bought à proper sealant that stays flexible and since then have had no issues in all types of weather and temperatures.

Imo if you don't want to deal with properly sealing them or the potential headache then don't do the mod, or pay for someone else to do it. Or like you did, manually point them down so they don't blind others - however this ends up leading to poor light patterns like you stated which brings me back to my previous point of do it properly or not at all
Don't get me wrong, they're still better than the halogen bulbs for two reasons, better spread and better (to me) color temp. They can have the same spread, and the 5000k color temp will help me see better (noticed objects tend to reflect the light of cooler colors than warmer colors).

My other post was just to confirm that PnP HIDs aren't going to be anywhere near HID projectors.

I don't think I started having condensation issues until around the 6th time I opened the head lights. I even got new sealant tape from TRS, and that didn't solve the issue, so I gave up. Lol
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #48
Kaotic Lazagna

Exiwolfman, OEM HIDs and LED projectors were designed around how each type of bulb distributes light (each type has a different dispersion). For example, HID and LED projectors don't have "squirrel finders" that will be a source of a lot of stray light in halogen projectors with HIDs installed in them.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #49
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Exiwolfman, OEM HIDs and LED projectors were designed around how each type of bulb distributes light (each type has a different dispersion). For example, HID and LED projectors don't have "squirrel finders" that will be a source of a lot of stray light in halogen projectors with HIDs installed in them.
In all honesty idk no more ... Question was asked I answered but for some ppl that was a selfish of me and how I like my lights so ty for ur insight on lights.
I for now will stick with my cheap Amazon LEDs cos they work well and better than stock .

Have a good one

Old 01-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #50
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
In all honesty idk no more ... Question was asked I answered but for some ppl that was a selfish of me and how I like my lights so ty for ur insight on lights.
I for now will stick with my cheap Amazon LEDs cos they work well and better than stock .

Have a good one

My reply was in regards to you saying "remove all OEM HID and LEDs" earlier.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #51
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I snapped this yesterday.. 4300K HID with stock reflector housing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #52
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

Looks good and the cut off is not to crazy

Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #53
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

Might just be the way the car was parked, but I think the passenger side needs to be aimed slightly lower
Old 01-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #54
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Might just be the way the car was parked, but I think the passenger side needs to be aimed slightly lower
Passenger side can stay higher it's the driver side that should be lower so one does not blind on coming traffic or both even works well too.