Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #55
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I know for a fact that BMWs are now fitted as standard with runflat tyres. Problem is they never balance properly. Technological progress in reverse.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #56
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I cannot believe that statement was actually made. Talk about speaking without knowing a shred of fact.
I have Koreamobile. Spare tire does not exist. It has big styrofoam piece in the trunk where spare tire should go. Hyundai will be happy to sell me a spare tire kit for the low cost of almost $300 though...
Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #57
bairjo

Quote:
I cannot believe that statement was actually made. Talk about speaking without knowing a shred of fact.
So you come on here and slam me for stating they have no spare tire. When I open my daughters trunk...no spare tire. That is a fact. In my mind, that is not world class. Also, bringing up other manufacturers that have also lowered their standards on a kia thread does not make the kia all of a sudden a better car. My daughter lives 5 hours away and had her car a year before I found out she was without a spare. Do you think I should have gotten on here and expressed how impressed I was? Yea, I looked in that empty trunk and the first thing that came to my mind was...world class. Sorry I bothered you.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #58
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Could you list the most common ones ? I'm curious to know.
A bit of light reading for you http://publicaffairsresources.aaa.bi...Spare-Tire.pdf

Just google 'vehicles without spares' for more links and stories. Run flats and inflation kits is a global trend which seemed to take hold with the 2014 model year.

Last edited by WeeYari; 01-23-2017 at 08:41 AM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #59
bairjo

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Q-cGZswRnepj_Q
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #60
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
bairjo, thanks for the link to the Road and Track article. It was an interesting read.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #61
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
The Hyundai has it beat in everything except driving dynamics.
...and reliability, which (as with most products you buy) is probably the most important talking point. Reliability is the foundation for which every other feature sits on.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #62
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
...and reliability, which (as with most products you buy) is probably the most important talking point. Reliability is the foundation for which every other feature sits on.

So what is the reliability issue of Huyndai ? I keep hearing people say their cars aren't reliable, but haven't seen one on the side of the road yet.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #63
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
For every person that says Hyundais and Kias aren't reliable, you'll find a Hyundai and Kia owner that says they've never had a problem.

Most reliability studies are iffy at best, since you have to look at what they consider to be a definition of "reliability." How many times the car's engine won't start? How many cupholders don't work? How many times the brakes wear at 30,000 miles? 60,000 miles?

The bottom line is there isn't a single bad car on the market these days. The cheapest Kia is still going to be more reliable than cars 30 years ago (not to mention far better equipped).
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #64
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post

The bottom line is there isn't a single bad car on the market these days.

i have bought/ leased many new cars from many manufacturers

they are all reliable

non issue
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #65
WeeYari

Just a small piece of personal history.

1984 - Mere months after arriving on our shores for the first time, bought a Hyundai Pony. Zero issues.

1990 - Traded Pony in for a new Hyundai Excel. Only issue was drop in compression in one cylinder by the end of my ownership in 1999.

1999 - Bought new Dodge Dakota which initiated the decline in my faith in domestic brands.

2007 - Traded Dakota in on my current 2006 Yaris. Other than failed alternator and air con, no critical issues in 10 yrs. Still my lifetime favourite vehicle purchase.

2016 - Bought 2013 Kia Soul. Now the waiting begins. I do have faith in the fact that it has held #1 and #2 spots in US small car sales for a number years for a reason.

Added into the mix over the years were a Pontiac Transport, Dodge Grand Caravan and a Dodge Caliber. Now these were all some shit with issues.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #66
David C

Kia and Hyundai.

^^ I was checking out a Soul 4u 2010 at the Huyndai dealership, it had 42k km only, cream color, very nice two tone fabric, single owner, with both summer and winter tires, the thing was spotless. Asking price was about $10k plus tax (15%). It was the 2.0L automatic.

Most reviews I've found online said it to be quite reliable and cheap price for full equipment and look, but that driving experience wasn't has good as the car looked, same with gas mileage. They reported loud road noise on highway speeds and lousy/rough handling on imperfect city pavement. Plus the bigger engine that sucks a lot more gas and doesn't seems to make he car more lively than my Yaris.

Still, I think that it was a very interesting car for my needs, although a bit bigger than necessary, but so well equipped that the extra fuel cost and reported road noise would get balanced out overall. If I was to do roadtrips which a bunch of friends or had two hunting dogs, that would be a nice comfortable car for such purpose compared to my Yaris. However I travel alone and don't have outdoor pets, so I don't need to change.

I think that if Toyota would merge the inner design and equipment of the Soul into a Yaris body, it would be a very exciting and enjoyable car.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #67
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
For every person that says Hyundais and Kias aren't reliable, you'll find a Hyundai and Kia owner that says they've never had a problem.
Fully agree on that!

My wife has had her 2014 Forte for 3 years now, and other than the tire issues i've mentioned in another thread, she's never had any other problems. Neither mechanical or electrical. It's a solid car, just regular maintenance to do.

On the other hand, i've heard stories about Soul's having major electrical problems. It really is a coin toss a lot of times.

At least you guys in the US have lemon laws. In Canada, those do not exist...at least not yet.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #68
WeeYari

Quote:
They reported loud road noise on highway speeds and lousy/rough handling on imperfect city pavement.
Reads like most Yaris reviews.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #69
David C

Quote:
Reads like most Yaris reviews.

I never thought of my Yaris as being quiet to drive, however, it's not uncomfortable, as the engine/drivetrain doesn't get much louder as the speed goes up. However I've been in other cars (notably GM's) where the loudness is directly proportional to your speed to a point were you have to crank the radio so loud to cover the noise that you can't even have a conversation with the person next to you. I think it's possible that the engine bay and body design play a lot in where the sound and vibrations of the air intake, exhaust and drivetrain is directed. In my Yaris, I can clearly make out the sound coming from the exhaust, the sound from the air intake (especially when accelerating from 60km/h up to 85km/h, nice high pitch aspiration noise), the sound and vibration coming from my tires and the sound of the rear bumper flapping in the wind when going over 60km/h. However they are all muffled sounds that are directed toward the rear of the vehicle rather than towards the cockpit, so that if I don't have any music playing at a normal/low volume, it can't notice any of them. And still with no music on, the noises are not aggressive and hardly noticeable.

Can't say the same for the suspension when going over bad roads, but that's expected from a small car and even bigger cars let you hear and feel a good deal of bumps.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #70
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
So what is the reliability issue of Huyndai ? I keep hearing people say their cars aren't reliable, but haven't seen one on the side of the road yet.
Full disclosure, I've never owned one myself, but as previously stated, they've been very unimpressive when kicking the tires and taking them for test drives.

More importantly to me is the testimonials from techs that actually work on cars for a living, which almost always urge you to stay way.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #71
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
My wife has a 2010 Kia Rio that is now at about 109k mileage. It has had 3 sensors replaced under warranty. Couldn't tell you what sensors they were anymore. late august she complained about a misfire and took it to the dealer. Cel said it was a #1 cylinder misfire. They said plugs or coil. So she brought it home and I said what the heck, threw a set of plugs in and it ran OK. The Cel showed up about 2 weeks later while on vacation in Colorado with same code. So I went to Auto Zone in Manitou Springs and bought a coil, they lent me a 10MM wrench and it ran like a champ and the code went away about 2 days later on its own.That was in early October. Now in December, here comes the misfire again. Went to a local Auto Zone here in Gardner, and........#3 cylinder misfire......another coil...... Sure wish I had bought the 4 pack the 1st time,lol
Turns out this is a common problem once they get some miles on them. But if things turn out the way we plan,shes gonna get the Subaru she always wanted soon anyways.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #72
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
AS an aside. She used to give me a hard time about her Kia having a 10yr/100k warranty.
I said that may be true, but the thing about my Yaris is, I dont need it!!!!
That being said, the dealership I got my Toyota from puts a lifetime warranty on the drive train of every new Toyota they sell. Its only good for the original purchaser, and I'm sure they are banking on the odds of most people selling after a few years....They dont know me very well.......