Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
ballpeen/torque wrench sound front drivers side

im uploading a vid right now..had some noise on the road lastnight and limped the car home..assumed it was just a blown CV failing me..turned out the tire shop when they thru on the snows didnt torque the passenger side down...almost lost a wheel at 70 on the freeway.......

drivers side CV replaced, everything buttoned up torqued etc, car drives smooth and fine and aside from still having my "clunk" which im now 99% positive is my strut top(its hard to repeat reliably to find), i get the sound of a ballpeen hammer being dropped on a brake rotor..not swung in vengeance but a soft slow strike or a torque wrench clunk on "high torque" aplications

its 110% repeatable except for "depth of sound" IE sometimes its soft sometimes its louder, but its specifically forward then rearward "change of force"

initial i ruled out wheel/tire combo by lifting the car in the air and holding the brakes down hard..and could do it......
thinking was brake caliper or sliders, i locked up the E-barke and ran drive to reverse and back a few times and it does it without touching the brakes..

so that ...as far as i know...eliminates the possibility of it being caliper/rotor related...the rotor is just being a sounding bell for whatever is actually causing it

thing is..what am i missing that it could be thats clearly echoing out onto the drivers side rotor...but NOT the passenger side....the new cv?
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote