Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Auto Acc for your Smartphone - WTF is up with the cost???

So I understand the whole dynamics of the industry and all. I understand that they bulk of the money the companies make is on accessories however this shit is getting ridiculous. I worked for an inline store for T-Mobile for a couple years. I am looking for a car mount for my Blackberry for my long move down to AL and the cheapest I can seem to find is a universal at 19.95. I did find some sites with stuff cheaper however they charge more in the long run because you have to pay the stupid ass shipping prices. All I have to say is why do people wonder their cars are broken into and the silly things are taken like car accessories for electronics...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Why do you need to mount it?

Given the widespread use of cell phones in cars these days, one would think that auto manufacturers would have some sort of universal mount as part of the console design. They could do a much better job of integrating it so you don't end up with some huge garish contraption stuck on your dash or windshield.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
^ I completely agree however you know how that one would go. The auto manufacturers would design around the iPhone most likely because that is the most widespread device and Apple would be willing to pay the fees to have it integrated. I see the iPhone as well as the iPad 3G and Amazon Kindles are very flawed devices just because they are all tied into AT&T's network. Sure the iPad is coming out on Verizon in the future and there are rumors of the iPhone as well. Anyway, I did dig up this article on Lifehacker and it gave me a great idea:

http://lifehacker.com/5593245/build-...t-for-under-10

So I have my suction cup mount for my Sirius Sportster that I don't use because of the custom mount I already built for it. I will use that along with the following from eBay to pretty much duplicate what the article takes about ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT) . The difference for me is that I am going to place the cup mounting plate to my drivers door right above the door latch. That will give me my BB right at my fingers and in very easy view for my VZ Navigator software during my trip.

Either way it still doesn't really address the gross financial situation of mobile device accessories.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
This place has some decent prices and reasonable shipping rates on accessories: http://www.semsons.com/
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The simple answer is because stupid people will waste the money on them. I don't get it, heck I don't know how anyone can pay $100 a month for service for a phone. it is totally ridiculous. I think people just have too much money or a complete lack of intelligence.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
bmw already does. they have usb charge stations, ipod direct hookups, aux jacks, bluetooth from factory. and in the console, armrest or whatever, they have a place to put the phone on this sticky pad that holds it in place.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote