Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Looking to install some LEDs.... need help.

I am thinking about getting some LEDs from this website:
http://www.oznium.com/
and possibly making some led eyebrows like the ones found on bmws and audi's..... LOL

but I have no experience with lighting...
has anyone else installed xtra lights and how did you do it?
did you splice them into your originals lights or set up a switch inside the car... if so how did you route the wires inside the car?

Thanks

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
they are quite easy. if they are prewired with resistors you can connect them to a + and - and you are off and running.

i installed a ton in my interior ..

i like that look though..pretty sweet
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
YAR1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
they are quite easy. if they are prewired with resistors you can connect them to a + and - and you are off and running.

i installed a ton in my interior ..

i like that look though..pretty sweet
Can you explain this to me?
So, do you mean attach it straight to the battery +&- or can I have them on a switch somehow to turn on and off at any time? how could I make that happen?

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
you could take them off any power source

if it were me.. i would tap into my headlight power/ground and have them run off that. that way they turn on when the headlights are one.

or maybe off the marker lights that way you are on if you run the marker lights in the day.

someone on here must have the ids for the wires that plug into the headlight.

for my interior ones i just drew the power from the 12v cig lighter
Old 10-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you can run a relay to the light switch on running lamps, or headlights...whichever you want. relay will activate the feed for the led's. simple, easiest way to do it. or, you can run power through a switch, or have the ground switched that doesnt matter either. but, you'll need a resistor, and depending on how many led's you have depends on the resistance needed.

there should be instructions with the kit and how to properly install them. if not, do a search on google or yahoo and find out how. also, you will need to properly locate + and - on the led...since it's a diode it will not work if neg hooked to pos.

after you find neg and pos for each, mounting is as simple as a hot glue gun or some epoxy on just about anything that's not conductive of electricity...a plastic strip, fiberglass, the bumper itself, ceramics, carbon fiber....anything not metal will work fine.

there's a stickey on the top of the diy forum. lighting and wiring diagrams out the wazoo...whatever a wazoo is.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
YAR1S

haha thanks severous and tiny!

Quote:
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
LEGATO``

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
hmm i'm not 100% sure, but that might be illegal in some states, BUT i do wish to do the same with mine
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i know it's DOT approved to have headlights of any kind, as long as they are no higher than stockers, and under 55w, and aimed downward like fog lights. also, they cannot be blue, red, green, orange, or any other color other than white. otherwise they'd be considered emergency lighting, and illegal for anyone other than EMTs. also, they must be constant on or not strobed.

and otherwise dot approved.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
YAR1S

well bmws and audi's get away with it and there is no differnce putting them on any other car as long as they are not blue or red then they should be fine.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
LEGATO``

well the thing with bmw's and audi's is that the cars that have them come stock with the LED bulbs already in them
but then again, i don't think cops really know what cars come with what.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
YAR1S

why would adding extra LEDs onto your lights be illegal though???
They are sold in stores all the time.....

Quote:
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
LEGATO``

oh i wasn't 100% sure if it was illegal or not, i was thinking more or less to what severous said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
i know it's DOT approved to have headlights of any kind, as long as they are no higher than stockers, and under 55w, and aimed downward like fog lights. also, they cannot be blue, red, green, orange, or any other color other than white. otherwise they'd be considered emergency lighting, and illegal for anyone other than EMTs. also, they must be constant on or not strobed.

and otherwise dot approved.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #13
Terra
Ian K

Drives: '08 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
you could take them off any power source

if it were me.. i would tap into my headlight power/ground and have them run off that. that way they turn on when the headlights are one.

or maybe off the marker lights that way you are on if you run the marker lights in the day.

someone on here must have the ids for the wires that plug into the headlight.

for my interior ones i just drew the power from the 12v cig lighter
Hey there,
I have an '08 Hatch and I'd be interested in getting a LED into that storage compartment below the cigarette lighter- Can you tell me how to properly draw power from the lighter to power an LED? I'm rather new to this and don't want to break anything. Thanks!! :)
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
why would adding extra LEDs onto your lights be illegal though???
They are sold in stores all the time.....
But don't they normally have a disclaimer "for offroad use only"?
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #15
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
getting power for the lighter is very easy. open u the dash and look..... there are 2 wires that connect to the lighter, one red (usually on the outer edge) and a black (in the middle) red is +, black is -. LEDS dont matter which end is + or - so just expose wire and tap in. u have to remember that the lighter jack has constant power so its gonna need a switch. (i'm not 100% sure on this, my car doesn't have a lighter, just power jacks which have power all the time, i dont know if they change anything for a smokers package)

and for the illegal light issue..... i have had this conversation with many in the last while and its touchy. its not even like every country is different, not even ever province/state is different, every area has differnt laws on this.

i live in ontario canada, and for the GTA (and i'm assuming all other places follow the same guidlines) the law allows for headlights yes. audi found a loop hole and realized that running lights can be any form of light emitting device over a certain power (watts) rating. if u put a fucked up colour, guess what, ure getting smacked with a ticket for impersonating an emergency car. the LEDS look sick yes, on an audi....not on a yaris....i'm sorry to say but its true.

the chances of getting a ticket for improper lighting is very unlikly.....unless u drive a honda or acura (thats y i got a yaris) and even if u did, its easy to fight.

for the record, there is lots and lots of stuff that are sold in stores and are illegal. about half the upgraded headlights are illegal either cuz they are too blue or too bright. they can sell it, u can buy it, u can install it, but u can't drive with it.

and most packages (headlamps at the local Canadian tire) do say if it meets all regulations or if u should check

the fact of the matter, yes u can get a ticket for illegal lights but no, white LED's for the MOST PART are okay. i say for the most part because i know if i dont someone is gonna find the brightest LEDS possible (from an aircraft possibally) and then try to come after my ass. the little LED's u are talking about are perfectly fine