Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Yaris in a fatal accident

http://fox59.com/2015/07/24/fatal-ac...s-interestate/

A tanker truck slammed into the back of the Yaris, sending it off the road. You can see the Yaris at 1:20 in the video. The Yaris driver was killed, his passenger injured.

This happened 75 miles to the north of Indy.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yikes!

Interesting there were also fatalities in other larger vehicles also involved in the crash.

The Yaris's Ive heard of in accidents seem to do pretty well in terms of protecting their owners. However statistically small cars like the Yaris have higher fatality rates than bigger cars. Theres no getting around that.

As a long time motorcyclist with ZERO accidents and injuries Ive developed a highly developed program for self preservation. You got to be very defensive in your riding habits.

Ditto for a car like the Yaris...
Old 07-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Wow. Other than the Yaris driver, the other victims succumbed to the fire....a worse way to go I'd think. If the cooking oil truck driver was an operator for a large fleet, rather than an owner operator, that firm is going to be on the hook for big buck$.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
bronsin

With all the texting, emailing, and distracted drivers on the road today you really have to watch your 6 when you slow down or come to a stop.

Especially in the situation described.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
DebbyM46227

I'm constantly looking at the rearview mirror when stopped. With no trunk behind us with the hatchbacks, almost everyone looks too close!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
With all the texting, emailing, and distracted drivers on the road today you really have to watch your 6 when you slow down or come to a stop.

Especially in the situation described.
Last week I pulled into a McDonalds parking lot to use the wifi to look up a phone number I got the number and dialed the number. It was ringing as I was holding the phone and driving through what appeared to be an empty parking lot, and then noticed a cop around a corner. I hung up the phone, pulled into a space, shut the engine off, and redialed. In Texas, the ban is only in school zones but, IIRC, California must now be hands free while driving. This was the first time I'd driven while holding a phone in years and I was only doing it re that particular situation.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I'm constantly looking at the rearview mirror when stopped. With no trunk behind us with the hatchbacks, almost everyone looks too close!
In the early 2000s, I got rear ended at a stoplight in my 2001 Suzuki Swift by a 4-door Ford F-series pickup. I had a bunch of heavy stuff in the cargo area and in the back seat. Fortunately, I was fine, and so was my passenger. Amazingly, the Swift was repaired with no after effects.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
The one thing I have seen in my trips to the US .. the speed limits are much higher than here in Canada. Mind you .. the climate is such that the roads are also in much better shape down south, and that gives drivers the ability to drive much faster.

Here .. in construction zones, speeding fines are double. So .. getting a $500 plus ticket for speeding helps to help people slow down. But not everyone as there is just not enough enforcement .. and they know that their chances of getting cause are slim.

I think that semi driver should lose his license .. for a long time, at least 5 years.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
DebbyM46227

The semi-driver that caused the accident died in addition to the mom, her 2 kids, and the Yaris driver. So the semi-driver DID lose his license, in a sense.

The Yaris passenger survived with non-life-threatening injuries according to a report I just read.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
The semi-driver that caused the accident died in addition to the mom, her 2 kids, and the Yaris driver. So the semi-driver DID lose his license, in a sense.

The Yaris passenger survived with non-life-threatening injuries according to a report I just read.
Thanks. I guess I missed that part. I was too busy looking at the pictures.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yikes!

Interesting there were also fatalities in other larger vehicles also involved in the crash.

The Yaris's Ive heard of in accidents seem to do pretty well in terms of protecting their owners. However statistically small cars like the Yaris have higher fatality rates than bigger cars. Theres no getting around that.

As a long time motorcyclist with ZERO accidents and injuries Ive developed a highly developed program for self preservation. You got to be very defensive in your riding habits.

Ditto for a car like the Yaris...
Exactly right. A vehicle is only as safe as it's driver.

I trully believe that being a good driver isn't just a matter of controlling you vehicle and being aware of your surroundings. A good driver should be able to do all of that, but also anticipate events and situations that are going to happen around them, and take an apropriate action to resolve things before they become critial.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
bgkz25

Drives: 2006 Toyota Vitz 1.5Li
Sad news. Probably the driver which caused this trajedy either might have fallen asleep or something else. Construction sites have enough warning signs and an ample distance to safely ply the roads. It seems the truck just continued ramming those poor vehicles in front of him until it hit another truck.
bgkz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
The one thing I have seen in my trips to the US .. the speed limits are much higher than here in Canada. Mind you .. the climate is such that the roads are also in much better shape down south, and that gives drivers the ability to drive much faster.

Here .. in construction zones, speeding fines are double. So .. getting a $500 plus ticket for speeding helps to help people slow down. But not everyone as there is just not enough enforcement .. and they know that their chances of getting cause are slim.

I think that semi driver should lose his license .. for a long time, at least 5 years.
In Texas, fines double in construction zones as well. Can't recall off the top of my head re other states.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
No one can defy physics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
The one thing I have seen in my trips to the US .. the speed limits are much higher than here in Canada.
Be assured that our german speed limits (60MPH country roads / highway limitless) aren't that dangerous if you drive careful enough (just driven home doing 100, no problems at all ;) )

What I can't understand:
Why should one buy a vehicle with far more than 90hp/ton if you can use just a small amount of that power over a long time (keeping hauling jobs out of mind)

(however, if I had your fuel prices (half of ours) fuel efficiency wouldn'T be such an important thing to me
In fact, we had them about 15...20 years ago )
Old 07-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #15
bronsin

[QUOTE=dj92;766010]What I can't understand:
Why should one buy a vehicle with far more than 90hp/ton if you can use just a small amount of that power over a long time (keeping hauling jobs out of mind)
QUOTE]

I drove thousands of miles across western Canada in my Yaris on my trip from NJ to AK and back in 2011. Yes the speed limit seemed pretty low (usually 100 kph) and not only that the local citizens obeyed it! Especially in towns were EVERYBODY went like 20 mph! It was VERY hard to do that! But obviously if I knew what was good for me Id better OBEY!

Having said that once out of town the roads were deserted of cars. I saw virtually no police cars the entire 5000 miles but didn't DARE exceed the speed limit. Also at 60 mph I was getting 42 mpg and gas was as much as $7 a gallon (Yukon)

As a motorcyclist riding 117 hp sport touring motorcycles (about 300hp per ton) capable of 150 mph (100 mph is like sitting on your couch in the living room) I frequently come up against the moral question of obeying the speed limit. My policy is to go 10 mph over either the speed limit or over what the traffic is doing. (to keep ahead of traffic so I don't get cut off...which could be fatal)

I LOVE it out west especially Montana where the roads are empty, the posted speed limit on secondary roads is usually 80 mph outside of town, and I can and do go as fast as I want with They Call Me The Breeze blasting in my helmet speakers.

Last edited by bronsin; 07-26-2015 at 07:45 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Nothing anyone can do when a semi driver is incoherent, you're probably going to die.

No driver can control everything, or even all that much. All it takes is a split second of someone doing something moronic and that's the end.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have been rear ended. Its insane. And all my cars are neon colored, so that is not an excuse.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #17
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
What I can't understand:
Because punching the accelerator and getting out of the way can often be a better way to avoid accidents than jumping on the brakes.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #18
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Sounds like the Yaris driver was a post-Doctoral student. Quite a bit of education and still driving a Yaris.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote