Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
smb24601

Drives: Yaris 07, Delorean 82
Jiffy Lube Issue

Took my 07 Yaris to Jiffy Lube the other day (yea yea I know, but changing oil in an apartment and working EMS shifts makes them cheap and convenient) for an oil change. Today while driving home (less than 300 miles later) I hear a cur-plunk and see a huge plume of white smoke out my rear window. I pull over as soon as I can, notice my oil light has come on. Once I get it jacked up and crawl underneath the oil filter is missing. I have oil covering the lower engine, undercarriage, and back hatch, so bad in the back that it actually started pooling. I got a ride to an auto parts store replaced the filter and oil and was able to drive home with no noticeable issues, minus the fogged up rear window.

My question is what should I be asking for in terms of compensation from Jiffy Lube and what might I reasonably expect?

Thanks

Last edited by smb24601; 08-11-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: for grammar, clarity, accuracy, additional details.
smb24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
First off, I'd never recommend a Jiffy Lube. Second, I would use the Toyota dealer or a very trusted mechanic. Third, Jiffy Lube will likely offer you a free oil change or your money back. I don't see them giving you anything but that. They are in an EXTREME hurry, and it is quantity over quality. Buyer beware.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #3
Sliver

Drives: Yaris 2011
I would tell them you want the $ it would take to replace and install a new engine cause you have no way of assessing the internal damage that may have occurred that may show up later. If they don't agree then tell them you will post the problem in every auto magazine and forum there is.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #4
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I had a similar situation happen to me about 30years ago with my 1979 Celica. The technician had failed to see that the filter gasket was stuck to the block and after a 30mile drive my oil light came on. Had it towed to the dealer to fix the problem and to check if anything obvious had happened. Luckily it is a 20R and even though the oil was down to 2 quarts (from 5) I never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I would tell them you want the $ it would take to replace and install a new engine cause you have no way of assessing the internal damage that may have occurred that may show up later. If they don't agree then tell them you will post the problem in every auto magazine and forum there is.
The second reason I had my car towed to the dealer was to establish some record of the event in case something catastrophic happened in the future (it didn't). You can try to go back and "threaten" the Jiffy Lube for "compensation" but they know that legally, until something actually happens they don't have to pay you anything. Plus, even if they offered you a free oil change, would you want it?

If I were you (and I was) I would just chalk it up to experience, do your own changes (or stick with the dealer or trusted mechanic), spread the word (I do) to stay away from Jiffy Lube type places in general, and hope that nothing happened/happens to your car down the road.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
smb24601

I hate someone working on my car. when I was in the military I would borrow the supplies and do everything myself or slip a mechanic a case of beer. Since I have been living in an apartment I am unable to work on my cars in the parking lot. I prefer a local mechanic but my work hours make jiffy lube the best option. I really don't even tryst Toyota, I have had them lie to me to get extra services done. Though I am sure they would do a top notch job.

@silver this is really what I am worried about but know it is probably impractical. Though everything sounds fine, I know there is no telling what might happen.

@yarissteve towing wasn't an option as late as it was and being able to get to work today etc. Soonest I am going to be able to get it to the dealership maybe Monday. I did document with pictures.

Thanks guys
Old 08-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good Advice!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I worked for a Toyota dealer for 10.5 years. At this point you really don't have much to go on since it wasn't towed anywhere and is still running. It is a hard thing to prove. Those quick lube places were our best customers when it came to replacing engines, oil filter housings, tow-ins, etc. Some of the stupid stuff I have seen. I miss working for Toyota, but the promotion to one of our other franchises was so worth it. LoL
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb24601 View Post
@yarissteve towing wasn't an option as late as it was and being able to get to work today etc. Soonest I am going to be able to get it to the dealership maybe Monday. I did document with pictures.

Thanks guys
Oh, I realize life gets in the way sometimes. My point was to document everything as best you can. Make sure you keep the receipt for the service; it should have the mileage at which you took the car in.

Oh... And stay away from Jiffy Lube type places (I'm still spreading the word ) if you can avoid them. Do you have any friends who would let you do oil changes in their driveways/garages?
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
smb24601

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
I worked for a Toyota dealer for 10.5 years. At this point you really don't have much to go on since it wasn't towed anywhere and is still running. It is a hard thing to prove.
If I take it into the dealership there isn't much they can do or say is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
My point was to document everything as best you can. Make sure you keep the receipt for the service; it should have the mileage at which you took the car in.

Oh... And stay away from Jiffy Lube type places (I'm still spreading the word ) if you can avoid them. Do you have any friends who would let you do oil changes in their driveways/garages?
Documented everything best I could with pics including odometer, oil filter box/receipts, and oiled khaki's.

I have never felt comfortable with them or similar, but often I am working when everyone is off and everything is open, I am off when everyone is sleeping/working or businesses are closed.

UPDATE: District manager is supposed to be in contact within 48 hours we will see.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
You could try taking it to the dealership, and see if they can document anything obvious they find, in regards to an oil change being done improperly. For example, oil being all over everything. Having it documented that way can really help your case.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb24601 View Post
I have never felt comfortable with them or similar, but often I am working when everyone is off and everything is open, I am off when everyone is sleeping/working or businesses are closed.
When you go to JL again explain what happened the last time. Maybe that will make them more carefull?

Better yet before driving away check the drain plug and filter for tightness and the oil level too.

Oh no I forgot you cant test the oil to make sure they put 5-30 in there!

I am SO glad I do all my own oil changes I didn't let ANYONE touch my vehicles while I could still work on them.

Maybe you better look at this "I have to have JL change my oil" fixation with the thought that if they do the work its going to be deja vu all over again.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
miami

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Base
Read the fine print of all the documentation you signed when you got it serviced. See if you waived any rights.
miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
smb24601

Thank you all for you responses. After playing phone tag with the Jiffy Lube DM, he looked it over, underside was still coated in oil, also he verified that the filter had been changed. He will reimburse me for oil and filter and a thorough car wash to get the undercarriage clean, and a free oil change(that will go unused). I wish I could do the maintenance myself but where I live not really possible, and have always felt uneasy about using a quick lube place but for convenience's sake have had to. From now on I will pay a bit extra and wait a bit longer and take it to a real mechanic's shop.