Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
1NR-FE Engine tunes-mods-etc.

Hi guys.
I know that most of you, you have the 1.5L American engine (1NZ or 2NZ) but some of us we live in Europe and we don't really have aftermarket support for our 1.3 dual vvti engine (1NR-FE).

I have searched all the web for tunes for this particular engine. And I had no luck till now. I can't even find an aftermarket exhaust header.

So I would love to see this topic grow, with members that own this engine and they were able to find something.

There are not any compatabilities or similarities with the 1NZ motors since the 1NR-FE uses dual vvti technology. This means that we have different air filters, exhausts, the nst pulley kit doesn't work on our engine etc, so you see that all the good stuff that are made for yaris, isn't available for us.

The only thing I have find so far (and really after a ton of search) is an apexi dry air filter (I didn't want to by Oil based filter for the obvious reasons) which I brought today and I was lucky since this was the last available.

My next thing on my to do list is an exhaust header to help the engine breathe a little less restrictively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Hi guys.
I know that most of you, you have the 1.5L American engine (1NZ or 2NZ) but some of us we live in Europe and we don't really have aftermarket support for our 1.3 dual vvti engine (1NR-FE).

I have searched all the web for tunes for this particular engine. And I had no luck till now. I can't even find an aftermarket exhaust header.

So I would love to see this topic grow, with members that own this engine and they were able to find something.

There are not any compatabilities or similarities with the 1NZ motors since the 1NR-FE uses dual vvti technology. This means that we have different air filters, exhausts, the nst pulley kit doesn't work on our engine etc, so you see that all the good stuff that are made for yaris, isn't available for us.

The only thing I have find so far (and really after a ton of search) is an apexi dry air filter (I didn't want to by Oil based filter for the obvious reasons) which I brought today and I was lucky since this was the last available.

My next thing on my to do list is an exhaust header to help the engine breathe a little less restrictively.

do a 2zz 1zz or a 2zrfe swap.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
do a 2zz 1zz or a 2zrfe swap.

Engine swap is out of the question. First of all because I have a perfectly working engine, with low mileage (117.000 km). Secondly it's not legal to swap engine. You have to change the car's license and here in Greece it's something really time consuming. Also, 1.8L engines in my country have much more taxis to pay. And they are not gas-efficient. And finally an engine swap is expensive. I can custom turbocharge my engine for much less in a professional shop.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
miser,

I think I'm the only active guy here who does things with the 1NR-FE.

I have a USDM Toyota iQ with the 1NR-FE and a few modifications.......

1ZZ throttle body modification. As with the 1NZ-FE guys, I melted the adhesive on the adjustment screw and turned 2.5 times (I think it was counter-clockwise). Definitely increased throttle response and the extra mm of air intake I'm sure helped our little pathetic 94-98bhp lump

Gutted out both primary catalytic convertor that's part of header as well as secondary catalytic convertor, which definitely helped with power.

50mm DC Sports exhaust, straight through with only resonator until recently adding Honda Fit HKS axle-back to quiet it down. Definitely allowed for a touch more breathing, but needed more control over fuel and VVT phasing.

CamCon cc-101 VVT-I and A/F controller all set to the specs on the original Power Enterprise website for the 1NZ-FE. It ONLY controls your intake VVT-I, not your exhaust.

Stock gutted iQ airbox with K&N filter and OEM MAF going to custom intake with 3" Outer diameter and 2.7" inner diameter all the way to the 1ZZ TB, all wrapped in DEI laval thermal wrap.

As far as boost goes, you need to be careful as the 1NR-FE has 11.5:1 compression, so colder IK22 plugs with 4-5psi on a custom turbo kit and good tuning are going to be a necessity. Kit would have to be custom as the exhaust manifold doesn't match any other 4 cylinder Toyota and the closest I've found for a manifold is the Suzuki G13B with primaries 2-3 moves slightly.

Also with boost, specifically turbos, they produce substantially more heat, and if your running the K410 or K411 CVT transmission, it's going to overheat substantially, so you're going to want to reduce underhood temps as well as the CVT cooling system or you're going to blow it quickly.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
miser,

1ZZ throttle body modification. As with the 1NZ-FE guys, I melted the adhesive on the adjustment screw and turned 2.5 times (I think it was counter-clockwise). Definitely increased throttle response and the extra mm of air intake I'm sure helped our little pathetic 94-98bhp lump

Gutted out both primary catalytic convertor that's part of header as well as secondary catalytic convertor, which definitely helped with power.

50mm DC Sports exhaust, straight through with only resonator until recently adding Honda Fit HKS axle-back to quiet it down. Definitely allowed for a touch more breathing, but needed more control over fuel and VVT phasing.

CamCon cc-101 VVT-I and A/F controller all set to the specs on the original Power Enterprise website for the 1NZ-FE. It ONLY controls your intake VVT-I, not your exhaust.

Stock gutted iQ airbox with K&N filter and OEM MAF going to custom intake with 3" Outer diameter and 2.7" inner diameter all the way to the 1ZZ TB, all wrapped in DEI laval thermal wrap.

As far as boost goes, you need to be careful as the 1NR-FE has 11.5:1 compression, so colder IK22 plugs with 4-5psi on a custom turbo kit and good tuning are going to be a necessity. Kit would have to be custom as the exhaust manifold doesn't match any other 4 cylinder Toyota and the closest I've found for a manifold is the Suzuki G13B with primaries 2-3 moves slightly.

Also with boost, specifically turbos, they produce substantially more heat, and if your running the K410 or K411 CVT transmission, it's going to overheat substantially, so you're going to want to reduce underhood temps as well as the CVT cooling system or you're going to blow it quickly.

Hi mate,

It seems that you have made quite a lot of research for this particular engine. And as you said, the engine (for my taste at least) it's a lump. It's not the horsepower, because 101 hp for this small car is good, but it's the acceleration and the torque that are reaaaally disappointing. 13 pounds of torque is not even enough to overtake a lorry safely... meanwhile cars like vw with the 1.2 tsi-tfsi are flying if you compare them with us...

Anyway, I have a 6-speed manual tranny so I won't face any kind of problems that cvts might have. But I am not planning to turbocharge my car. It was just an hypothetical thought.

I don't want my car to be loud. I want it to be functional. So I am considering to replace only my exhaust header (and not the whole exhaust section) to give a little extra breath combined with the less restrictive air filter I ordered. I think that it will help what's your opinion?

Also about the 1zz throttle swap. Is it really worth it? And I didn't quite get the modification I have to do.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
MugenRep

Quote:
Hi mate,

It seems that you have made quite a lot of research for this particular engine. And as you said, the engine (for my taste at least) it's a lump. It's not the horsepower, because 101 hp for this small car is good, but it's the acceleration and the torque that are reaaaally disappointing. 13 pounds of torque is not even enough to overtake a lorry safely... meanwhile cars like vw with the 1.2 tsi-tfsi are flying if you compare them with us...

Anyway, I have a 6-speed manual tranny so I won't face any kind of problems that cvts might have. But I am not planning to turbocharge my car. It was just an hypothetical thought.

I don't want my car to be loud. I want it to be functional. So I am considering to replace only my exhaust header (and not the whole exhaust section) to give a little extra breath combined with the less restrictive air filter I ordered. I think that it will help what's your opinion?

Also about the 1zz throttle swap. Is it really worth it? And I didn't quite get the modification I have to do.

If you go over to Facebook and check out iQhatch, you'll see some info and pics for the iQ I've run together. There's also a pic of what the header looks like. If you were to get a Suzuki Swift GTi G13B or Nissan ga16De header, I know both can be grafted to a 1NR-FE header flange with a little work, or you could go the custom route, like the header on that page.

I'm envious of your 6 speed, lol. The iQ CVT is a very effective transmission in maximizing the potential power of the mill, but overheats even on 70 degree F days when pushing it.

Also if you want to maximize the performance of the 6-speed, a friend in Japan makes gearsets for the trans for shorter and more efficient gearing instead of the LONG throws for such a small engine.

Go to http://www.t-san9.com/ and you'll see some of his parts. His name is Tsukasa Sangawa and he's a really nice guy and quite knowledgeable. He was originally an aerospace engineer, so his knowledge and experience are quite good. He's also quite a nice guy to speak to in all actuality.

Oh, and best yet......he just had LSDs made for the 1NR-FE 5 and 6 speed transmissions!!!! :D If you talk to him, tell him John Daugherty sent you.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
MugenRep

Quote:

I'm not 100% sure it's worth it, but with these little engines, I'm sure every little bit helps. It was $40 from a local junkyard, so I figured I'd give it a try.

How I got mine to work.....

-Melted adhesive on adjustment screw.

- Installed WITHOUT adjusting at idle for 20 mins while it went through looking at and trying to learn the new throttle body.

-After it fluctuated for 20 mins. I adjusted the screw 2.5 turns counter-clockwise (I think). Then restarted and let it go through procedure again until the idle calmed down.

-Another guy in the iQ group after I did it, did it also, but it took more turns for him for whatever reason, but it eventually learned adjusting 1/2 turn each time, and then letting it sit to relearn idle.

Mine works 95% fine most of the time unless it's very hot and humid out at which point it fluctuates up on a cold engine start to about 2-3k rpms, and then immediately back down in under a count of 5. Then no further problems.

Do I think it was worth it? Yes for the cost, most definitely. If you prefer not to go that route, you can also send your throttle body to http://maxbore.com/ who can port, polish, and add a new throttle plate.

Another friend of mine also has access to a guy making throttle body spacers for the 1NR-FE throttle body if you're interested I can get his info.

Last edited by MugenRep; 09-14-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
miiser

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure it's worth it, but with these little engines, I'm sure every little bit helps. It was $40 from a local junkyard, so I figured I'd give it a try.

How I got mine to work.....

-Melted adhesive on adjustment screw.

- Installed WITHOUT adjusting at idle for 20 mins while it went through looking at and trying to learn the new throttle body.

-After it fluctuated for 20 mins. I adjusted the screw 2.5 turns counter-clockwise (I think). Then restarted and let it go through procedure again until the idle calmed down.

-Another guy in the iQ group after I did it, did it also, but it took more turns for him for whatever reason, but it eventually learned adjusting 1/2 turn each time, and then letting it sit to relearn idle.

Mine works 95% fine most of the time unless it's very hot and humid out at which point it fluctuates up on a cold engine start to about 2-3k rpms, and then immediately back down in under a count of 5. Then no further problems.

Do I think it was worth it? Yes for the cost, most definitely. If you prefer not to go that route, you can also send your throttle body to http://maxbore.com/ who can port, polish, and add a new throttle plate.

Another friend of mine also has access to a guy making throttle body spacers for the 1NR-FE throttle body if you're interested I can get his info.

Thanks for the info. Did you ever searched for ecu remap-chiptuning etc?

Also did the aftermarket header gave the car a little more juice?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
MugenRep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Did you ever searched for ecu remap-chiptuning etc?

Also did the aftermarket header gave the car a little more juice?

Nothing currently available for the iQ that I can find as far as getting it "reflashed". Modern ECUs, especially the CAN-BUS, can't be chip tuned per say. They need to be flashed or a piggyback that overrides (such as the CamCon cc-101).

According to the member who had his header custom made, it worked and added more power overall, which I'm sure is true since he deleted his primary catalytic convertor.

Here's some pics of the header compared to stock as well as the Group I saved info to. If you look under photos and albums, you'll see categories and info I've found associated with the engine and iQ chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Header Pic.JPG (195.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Header Pic1.jpg (38.8 KB, 188 views)
File Type: png iQHatch1.png (69.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
miiser

Quote:
Nothing currently available for the iQ that I can find as far as getting it "reflashed". Modern ECUs, especially the CAN-BUS, can't be chip tuned per say. They need to be flashed or a piggyback that overrides (such as the CamCon cc-101).

According to the member who had his header custom made, it worked and added more power overall, which I'm sure is true since he deleted his primary catalytic convertor.

Here's some pics of the header compared to stock as well as the Group I saved info to. If you look under photos and albums, you'll see categories and info I've found associated with the engine and iQ chassis.

Nice one.

Did you made the header custom made? Or you purchased it? And how much it costs? Also how much more loud with single header swap the car can be?

Also can you explain me what the camcon does? I just searched about it and it seems very interesting.
Is it easy to use?

Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
MugenRep

Quote:
Nice one.

Did you made the header custom made? Or you purchased it? And how much it costs? Also how much more loud with single header swap the car can be?

Also can you explain me what the camcon does? I just searched about it and it seems very interesting.
Is it easy to use?

The header was made by a local welder for the member for $200 USD, and his iQ isn't too much louder than and iQ with a DC Sports cat-back and OEM catalytic convertors.

The CamCon really honestly needs at least a wide-band o2 sensor to make sure you don't run too lean and dyno tuning for best gains.

It allows you to adjust VVT-I timing on the fly to and as well as alter A/F curves throughout the rev range to optimize performance based on octane and modifications.

Until you'd get a tune, you can just set the 1NZ-FE settings into and and turn it on when or if needed

If CamCon isn't to your liking, you could buy one of Sangawa-Sans MiniCons which do almost the same thing.

http://www.t-san9.com/parts.html
Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
miiser

Hmmm definitely I will look for a header for the moment. As far as for the camcon, it seems that needs some knowledge that sadly I don't have at the moment.
Now I have to find if there is anyone here in Greece that can tune my ecu.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
miiser

@mugenrep

I talked today with a local exhaust welding shop. They told me that the catalyst is welded in the stock exhaust header. So if I remove the catalyst I might have problems with error codes etc. did you face any kind of these problems?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:

the screw you are adjusting is the cold idle screw. it is easier to adjust when the engine is cold.

another option is the sprint booster. it's advantage, besides acceleration increase, is a valet mode and a "lock out" security feature. they are pretty neat.
www.sprintbooster.com
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #15
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
the screw you are adjusting is the cold idle screw. it is easier to adjust when the engine is cold.

another option is the sprint booster. it's advantage, besides acceleration increase, is a valet mode and a "lock out" security feature. they are pretty neat.

www.sprintbooster.com

Wow it's made in my country too. I didn't expect that. I will check this out

--------------------
I checked it
So it's just to reduce the throttle lag?

Last edited by miiser; 09-17-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
Vivek
I've made a post!

Drives: 2014 Toyota Vitz 1NR-FKE engin
Quote:
miser,

Hello MugenRep. I have a JDM car with the K411 transmission. I have a whining noise in my transmission going up long hills, a journey I do once weekly. The Terrain is undulating and I usually use the engine brake feature (B) on descents and sport mode (S) going uphill. During my last trip, I stopped on a hill and I stalled. The car would not go up. I accelerated for just a few seconds because I recalled intuitively the stall test should not be performed for more than 5 seconds at a time. Subsequent to that, the tranny whined uphill until it probably cooled as the terrain became flat. I was somewhat afraid I may have caused damage but it is working fine now as I usually don't traverse that area frequently. I have seen guys install a 4 port tranny cooler for nissans to use an external cooler to supplement the radiator cooling/warming function. This seems like a good option but I haven't seen a similar unit for the K411 transmission. Since I saw you recommended additional cooling for this tranny, I was wondering if you can locate such a cooler to improve heat dissipation. My concern also lies in the fact that I have seen external coolers rated for 200psi but the K41B CVT transmission for instance encounters pressure over 500psi. What options are available?
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:37 AM   #17
Bluevitz2016
Champ

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2016 (1NR-FE)
Quote:
Hi guys.

Hi could you please send link where you got the apexi filter from please
Bluevitz2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:05 AM   #18
gab25diygarage
gab25diygarage

Drives: 2017 yaris NCP150
i also have NR 1.3 engine... as me living here in southeast asia i'm still waiting for thailand or malaysia to release best bolt on mods to make the engine faster(just faster than a regular stock 1.6 engine out there/not for racing racing freakish fast). well... as of now the only mods i can see or aware is the 1zz trottle body, ������������ ������������ VVT sensor(check this out), full exhaust and good set of performance air intake. ("NZ engine is still the best!")
gab25diygarage is offline   Reply With Quote