Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
a/c on squeaking noise

hi guys, my 07 yaris makes this squeaking noise when i turn my a/c on, noticed it only because i can really hear it when i am backing out of my garage. if the a/c isn't on, no squeak. i need to take it in but my question to you guys, is this a belt problem? don't know if the a/c has a belt or not. living in burbs of chicago need to use the a/c here and don't want to make things worse. any opinions? thanks
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
belt

Sounds like your serpintene belt is due for replacement. Usually you need to replace the serpintene belt every 3-3.5 years even if it looks in good condition. I would start there since it's the easiest and cheapest route. Make sure all your pulleys are free of any kind of oil or chemical residue before you put the new belt or it'll squeel also. Good luck to ya
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
bigdoglover

have any idea of what the dealer is gonna charge me? i know, difficult to determine. had her 6 year, no repairs yet. thought it was a/c related but guess i am wrong. thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
belt

I have no idea but most dealers are not cheap. atleast one hour of labor plus the price of the belt. The belt is an easy job if you have done it before. If you don't want to deal with it just buy the belt at a local parts store and have a local mechanic shop replace it for ya. This particular fan belt adjustment is skill of the craft and most experience mechanics can do that job easy, a lot cheaper than the dealer that 's for sure. If you lived near me I'd do it for free but .....oh well.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Dealer tried to charg me $200 to replace the belt. I told them no thinks, I would just buy the $10 belt and do it myself.

It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be only because the lower alternator bolt was frozen in place and ended up spraying everything with liquid wrench, which was a big problem, heh. If you read my belt threads you'll see why. But all seems fine now, and it only actually cost me around $50 (belt, and several sockets and a set of stripped bolt head sockets).

Give it a try yourself man. If you know how to turn a wench and read instructions you'll be fine, if as in my case, there is a snag, there are great people on here that can help. :)

In my case I'm not a muscular guy, and I had to prybar this cheap belt super tight while I had my wife tighten the top alternator bolt.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
bigdoglover

thanks guys, not something i would try to do being a female senior citizen. took it to the dealer and it was $145 out the door, took appr. 30 minutes including a car wash. i'm happy with that and silly as it seems to me the car seems like it is running better. glad i checked with you guys before i headed over there as at least i have an idea what will be wrong and what kind of price it should be. 65,000 miles and all i have done is tires, a new battery, oil changes and now the belt. anything i should start looking for as going on it next? pretty trouble free so far, nice not to have a car payment and decent gas mileage. i had hoped the dealer would have a new yaris in the showroom but nothing.