Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
a couple things...

currently, i have a small little air horn in my car. it's similar to this and mounted about halfway between the passenger's side headlight and the hood latch:

i'm putting in a new one with three trumpets, similar to this:

for the first air horn, the one i have in there now, i have the 12v constant hooked directly up to the positive terminal of the battery, with a bright red wire running straight across the top of my engine. my question is, where can i plug that wire in so it doesn't look like crap when i open the hood?? i have an add-a-circuit thing, but don't know which fuse i can plug it into where it'll be... safe? similarly, i'm looking for a constant 12v on the inside, if it exists without having to splice or tap into existing wires (don't want to overload anything!)?

my second question.. above the engine cover, there's a black metal sheet on the "ceiling" of the engine bay. is there anything behind that? my plan is to mount those three trumpets on that, since well, there isn't much room to do it elsewhere.

any help or mounting suggestions would be appreciated! i'm not too keen on the idea of drilling holes in my car, but if that's what must be doneee.......

thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
enobmort42
First time DIYer

without looking at it, i'm assuming i can just "add a fuse" to the existing horn fuse? i'm not very good with electrical stuff, so bear with me if i'm missing something! i've searched for so long, but to no avail... =P
Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With the bright red wire, are you feeding the contacts of a relay, where the coil is driven by the existing horn feed?

You can use the add-a-fuse on any existing fuse (with the proper size output fuse for the new horn). You definitely don't want to run it directly off the battery without a fuse.

By the "ceiling" of the engine bay, are you talking about the bottom of the hood? If so, it is hollow, so you could use it for mounting.

For the inside 12V constant, look at the red wire in the attached picture. There are two terminals on the connector - The top one of the two is the constant 12V. Make sure you use an inline fuse when you tap it...

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
enobmort42
First time DIYer

i attached a picture of what i have going on.. where it says "battery/12v" is where i have the wire right on the positive terminal. no inline fuse.

so any open spot in the fuse box will suffice? can i unplug the existing horn fuse, throw in the add a fuse, put that fuse on the add-a, and run it that way?

you'll have to excuse my ignorance!

by the "ceiling" of the engine bay, i mean the part behind the hood.. under the dash, i guess. if you look up and in, there's a black sheet of metal that covers the top of the engine compartment.

that's exactly the info i needed on the inside fuse. thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (14.9 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's correct on the relay wiring.

The horn fuse is a good choice for the add-a-fuse. The problem with the way you have it now is that if the horn module shorted or the feed wire got pinched, you would have the full current potential of the battery, which could easily start an electrical fire.

Above that black sheet metal is the wiper motor on the car's left and the A/C intake duct on the right. Just pop off the two plastic parts above it before you start drilling.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
enobmort42
First time DIYer

awesome. thanks a ton for all your help!!