Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
revolution

Drives: 2009 JDM Toyota Vitz
Steering Wheel Audio Controls...?

Hi,

So I found all the part numbers for the Steering Wheel Audio Controls that will allow me to add it to my Vitz RS, but I'm stuck on a little issue...

I can order the Silver Trim pieces, Buttons and Spiral, thats easy. And i can get the smaller Steering Wheel Airbag cover as well. But my only concern is what to do about the Airbag? Will i move the Airbag over from the old steering wheel cover? If so, how do i do that? I don't want it going Poof! on me whilst im installing...

Any help very much appreciated!!!!
Keyless-Go,8 Airbags, Pioneer AVH-P4150DVD, Reverse Camera, Nokia Bluetooth Kit, Pioneer 6.5" 230W Split System in Front, 6000K HIDs in Headlamps, 6000K HIDs in Foglamps, Afe Intake, 17" Advanti Toro Rosso Alloys with 205/45/17 Yokohama R1 Tyres, 40mm Modellista Lowering Springs...
revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution View Post
Hi,

So I found all the part numbers for the Steering Wheel Audio Controls that will allow me to add it to my Vitz RS, but I'm stuck on a little issue...

I can order the Silver Trim pieces, Buttons and Spiral, thats easy. And i can get the smaller Steering Wheel Airbag cover as well. But my only concern is what to do about the Airbag? Will i move the Airbag over from the old steering wheel cover? If so, how do i do that? I don't want it going Poof! on me whilst im installing...

Any help very much appreciated!!!!
The airbag assembly is riveted to the cover with some very heavy duty rivets. You would need to drill those out to change covers.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To answer your PM questions in a bit more detail, here are some pictures of how the airbag assembly and cover are constructed:

The airbag assembly removed from the steering wheel (note that the popped squib has been removed in this picture):
Airbag Cover with Frame.jpg

A replacement cover:
Airbag Cover.jpg

The rivets that need to be removed to separate the airbag frame from the cover:
Rivets.jpg

The back side of the removed airbag frame:
Airbag Frame Back.jpg

The front side of the removed airbag frame:
Airbag Frame Front.jpg

The back side of the removed airbag frame with the popped squib:
Popped Airbag Back with Popped Airbag.jpg

The front side of the removed airbag frame with the popped squib:
Popped Airbag Front with Popped Airbag.jpg

The back of the popped squib:
Popped Airbag back.jpg

The front of the popped squib:
Popped Airbag Front.jpg

Hopefully those give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. I drilled the rivets on this popped one, but would be hesitant to do so on a live one. The rivets are large, hard, and generate a lot of heat while being drilled. If I were going to swap the cover on a live one, I think I would:

1. Cut the plastic cover around the four rivets.
2. Pry the frame out of the cover (it has a lip that fits into a channel in the plastic, so you have to pry it loose once the rivets are free).
3. Unbolt the squib from the frame (there are four nuts that hold the squib assembly to the airbag frame).
4. With the airbag squib removed, drill the rivets out of the frame.
5. Bolt the airbag squib back to the frame.
6. insert the airbag assembly into the new cover.
7. Rivet or bolt the airbag assembly to the new cover.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
cool tips
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote