Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
2007Yaris_
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Squeaky Noise when depressing brakes

Hello Friends !

I noticed that my 2007 is making a squeaky noise when brake pedal is being depressed. The same noise is generated when hand break is released.

I cant figure out whether the noise is coming from inside the car or from underneath.

Anybody else experiences this issue? Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks a lot
2007Yaris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
jetaimejsc

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
i have this going on and have yet to fix the issue. i too would like to know what it is
jetaimejsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
same here dont know where its coming from, in or out of the car, its pretty annoying..i think its the break pedal, in need of some lube or something???..anyone figure it out?

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I had a "squeak" but it was when I released the brake pedal. It was the rear brake shoes & springs squeaking when retracting. All I needed to do was clean and lub the contact spots between the edge of the brake shoe, and the back plate (terminology?) where the shoes travel back & forth.

I also blew out the springs with compressed air, and lubed the hooks where they engage the shoes.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Get a second person to have a listen at both of the rear wheels. If the noise is coming from there then it's likely that the rear drum brakes need lubricating.

I did mine a while back and did not take pictures, but basically follow the rear brake part of the FSM (starts at BR-59), jack the rear up, use some axle stands, remove the rear wheels, then the brake drums.

The FSM then shows where to apply "high temperature grease" and "lithium soap base glycol grease". I only applied some synthetic high temp grease in the outlined spots for "high temperature grease", reassembled (follow the FSM, there's a section about adjusting the brake shoe clearance), and no more squeaking.

EDIT: I wouldn't blow out the area with compressed air, but that's just me. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and a rag while wearing some gloves. I know enough mechanics/automotive painters with cancer and other health problems that I like to attempt to limit my exposure to these chemicals/particles/dusts etc.
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break, squeak, yaris