Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
PROTON..

What's your opinion on PROTON the Malaysian car manufacturer and their rides.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/new...=newthread&f=7

I like this one of all of the models.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
What's your opinion on PROTON the Malaysian car manufacturer and their rides.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/new...=newthread&f=7

I like this one of all of the models.

Why are you linking to Create New Post?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
The windows rattle like crazy when you close the doors. I can feel wind coming in from the doors (bad door seals). Everything in the dash is not tightly secured. IMO, garbage. Yeah Lotus was developed there. . . but just because truffles come from ****, it doesn't mean all **** is priceless.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Why are you linking to Create New Post?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWAru...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeS3w...1&feature=fvwp

Last edited by junorico24; 02-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
The windows rattle like crazy when you close the doors. I can feel wind coming in from the doors (bad door seals). Everything in the dash is not tightly secured. IMO, garbage. Yeah Lotus was developed there. . . but just because truffles come from ****, it doesn't mean all **** is priceless.
Yeah, what model is that mate? must be the older protons, is it brand new or second hand? these are the things you have to consider because the older they are the more rattles you'll here.It's normal.But lately, Proton has come up a few levels.They may not be as popular as the japanese and Korean rides but I think they're very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95zz...eature=related

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
djct_watt

Yeah. . . pretty much every model. . . I checked each and every one out before purchasing my Yaris.

I had a chance to spend a lot of time in most of the models at the Bangkok Motor Show and also at the dealers.

I was very interested in the Neo. . . also looked at the Savvy, Persona, and Gen 2. . . all equally ****y. It's just one of those cars that look nice from the inside and out, but are built like ****. You just know they will fall apart quickly. Rattles on a brand new (stationary) car are NOT acceptable.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Yeah. . . pretty much every model. . . I checked each and every one out before purchasing my Yaris.

I had a chance to spend a lot of time in most of the models at the Bangkok Motor Show and also at the dealers.

I was very interested in the Neo. . . also looked at the Savvy, Persona, and Gen 2. . . all equally ****y. It's just one of those cars that look nice from the inside and out, but are built like ****. You just know they will fall apart quickly. Rattles on a brand new (stationary) car are NOT acceptable.
Well....that's your opinion mate..But there are people who like the newer Protons for their fun handling characteristics and people who have owned them have had very lil problems with them.

The only minus seems to be the engine-which lacks torque.But overall not bad.I haven't owned one and you can't possibly judge a car based on just sitting inside one (stationary) and hearing rattles.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
djct_watt

That's all fine. . . it's possible. . . Like I said, if you read the post, I also went to the dealer. . . which entails a test drive too. That usually goes hand in hand with a dealer visit, but maybe things are different for you guys.

It rattles to hell and drives like a 10 year old car. You asked for opinions and now that you got one, you don't seem receptive of any opinion that is not your own. My opinion is that it is garbage. Garbage upon first inspection, and garbage-ier, if there is such a thing, upon driving it.

Here's more detail: trim panels that fall off upon the slightest touch, excessive steering wheel shake at speeds over 100kph, unresponsive engine, unresponsive brakes, steering float and wander. . . slow slow and slow and no MPG benefit which usually comes with underpowered cars. Ancient auto transmissions. . . they hunted gears like a shizophrenic psycho. The manuals felt akin to moving a plunger around in a toilet.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
djct_watt

Oh, in case you want to further your interrogation, I drove the Savvy, both MT and auto
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
djct_watt

Here's a great review for you:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/proton/satria-neo

Sums everything up quite nicely.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
junorico24

OK you drove the SAVVY ahahahha and the rest you pretty much sat inside and listened to rattles? This chic drove the manual Savvy which is the base model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VsTZSCD2gA
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
djct_watt

Yeah. . . it's the only model they had available for a test drive in both MT and auto.

Keep in mind, I did more than just "listen" to rattles. But I'm not here to debate with you my opinion. Build quality is build quality. And if a car company can't put together a door properly, you'd be the bigger fool to assume that the engine is built any differently. "ahahahaha"

Aside from the glaring omission to notice the Top Gear review I posted which sums up every point I made, here are some other opinions,
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Worse-...l#entry3361694

Notice that goes under the thread title, "The Wors(t) Car You Have Ever Driven."

"Proton rental in Malaysia. Plastic everything that falls off or breaks."
"AH, Proton, yes, that's another story eh. To think people buy those."

And to quote Top Gear (if you don't know who they are, you have no idea what a proper car review is, whether or not you agree with them). PS, they reviewed the Neo.

"Just because Lotus might have had a hand in tightening a couple of bolts on this car, don't assume that quality will be any good. The plastics won't be worrying anyone at Volkswagen. Or Tetrapak come to think of it."

"Performance: A choice of either 1.3 or 1.6-litre petrol engines isn't exactly spoiling you, and neither is particularly impressive."

"Handling: That all-important involvement from Lotus means the Satria-Neo handles well, with sharp steering, plenty of grip from those driven front wheels and nicely controlled body roll." They still score it 8/20 HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

"Practicality: Not the Satria-Neo's strong suit, with impeded front headroom thanks to that steeply raked windscreen and no real room to speak of in the back either. To make matters worse the boot is also smaller than average."

End result, it's still an econo-car. The handling is ok, but it's no hot hatch. So like a BMW X6 it does nothing exceptionally well nor is useful for anything. It's no particular value, given the competition either. . . you want good handling go get a VW golf or a mazda 2/3.

But heck, go and get one. Please go out and get a Proton. That would be awesome.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
djct_watt

You linked a womenandwheels video. . . ummmmmm

Here's a nice Top Gear video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtFR...eature=related

GREAT in depth review. Watch the weather stripping fall off the window! LOL!

"We were fed up with our stupid cars and left. . . on foot"
Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
djct_watt

Another fantastic review by Fifth Gear:
http://fwd.five.tv/cars/supermini/proton-satria-neo

"We can't help but feel that despite Proton saying that this is a totally 'new' car, it probably isn't, as much of it feels stuck in the past. The overall build quality is very poor for a modern car; most of the dash and interior trim creak and rattle. The doors don't even make a solid 'clunk' when they shut; it's more of a tinny 'bang', proving how thin they are. The boot is inaccessible from outside the car too, so whilst laden with luggage you'll need to open the driver door and reach down by the seat to find the boot-release lever. "

"'Handling by Lotus' doesn't mean that it will corner like an Elise, but thanks to stiff suspension and low-to-the-floor chassis, it does make for a fun drive, although the ride has been compromised."

"Thin doors, cheap plasticky trim, and controls straight from a 1980?s Mitsubishi. The build quality is poor too ? at motorway speeds creaks and rattles appear from every part of the cabin. The keys are also enormous, while remote locking buttons are so small that it's difficult to avoid pressing both lock and unlock at the same time."