Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
osmoq

Drives: none yet
manual vs. automatic

If there is already a thread about this secifically, can someone point me to it? I looked, but couldn't find one.
From browsing the threads, it seems like peole with manual transmission get really good gas mileage, but I've seen some reports with the automatic that aren't as good. I'm trying to figure out if this is a coincidence based on what I've seen. Can people post whether they have a manual or automatic and their average mpg? Or if anyone knows real-world mpg manual/auto comparison reports, that would be great.
I ask because I was planning on getting a manual, but I'm looking at a specific automatic one, now, and I want to make sure I'll get the max gas mileage because that's one of the main reasons I want the car.

Thanks!
osmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

There are several threads on it. Manual drivers tend to do a little better, as the published mileage estimates suggest. I have an automatic and usually average from 35-38 MPG, nearly all driving around town. You can't get a very valid comparison from drivers' posted reports, as driving skills, traffic conditions and terrain vary widely.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I average about 32 or so in town with my auto, vs. 38+ with the manual my gf has. Honestly if you want max fuel go with the manual. Mine is super modded though, the gf's is stock (for now).
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
I have a manual, i drive about half city and half highway and i have a scangauge II. I usually average low to mid 40's but on the highway i have gotten as high as 55mpg with careful driving.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I'd get the manual if you enjoy driving,
if you are regularly stuck in rush hour traffic then go for the nanny tranny.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd get the manual if you enjoy driving,
if you are regularly stuck in rush hour traffic then go for the nanny tranny.
I enjoy driving and that's why all my cars have been manual.

Yes, one of the reasons I got a Yaris for commuting is its great gas milage.

However, I really don't care if I get 40 mpg or 35 mpg as I consider both figures good.
I just drive for enjoyment and don't worry about mpg.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
StragglerX

Drives: Yaris Sedan S
i get 38 mpg (worse) when i drive my 5 spd 08 sedan S aggressively and 42 mpg (best) conservatively with everything stock at 85% hiway. i recently upgraded to 205/50/16 on alloys which is 10 lbs heavier from each stock 15s steels. added trd swaybar with sticky tires made me even more aggressive and now i get 32 worse to 38 best.

32 is when i feel like always in a hurry city driving and doing 85 on freeways. 42 is when i drive like doing a drive test with dmv and max 70 on freeways.

my upgrades to wider tires and swaybar makes my yaris a fire breathing YARIS.
StragglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I have the auto and drive mixed city/rural mostly and my lifetime fuel economy is 41.7 mpg. I try to drive for good economy and use an ecometer.

I love the auto personally, but if fuel economy is your main concern I would choose the manual unless you have another compelling reason to go with the auto.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i got 31mpg all-city last tank. i have and manual transmission, intake, header, and a resonator-back exhaust. also on 205-45-16 tires and 16x6.5 wheels. my commute is about 7miles into work. i think thats still pretty decent.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I think it depends on what type of driving you do. I think we have a clutched torque converter so once it locks up they both should use the same amount of fuel.

I’m getting around 43mph if I stay on the highway and about 35 on back roads.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Stick shifts are great. You can control your shifts...

If you live in a Northern climate you may want to buy the 5-speed manual. In snowy weather you can gear accordingly to the percipitation levels. On very slick/snowy roads... from a stand you can start on the 2nd gear and gain traction with the lower torque. Not recommended to do this all the time... clutch will go-out sooner. You also can jump start when the battery is dead... depending on your environment. No need for cable jump!

I'm averaging on my manual tranny around 46 MPG. Work round trip is around 40 miles. High average is because of several road (Interstate) trips using the mountain terrain for long glides.

Good luck on your purchase decision...

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I average in the low to mid 40's with the manual. If you drive a lot of hills or dread the idea of rolling back a little and even stalling it, then go with the automatic. I've driven manuals from the get go growing up on a farm, but I stall the Yaris on hills if I have to stop on one. I've learned how to use the parking brake to hold the car till it starts to go, but there is a delay from when I step on the accelerator pedal and it actually goes. Love the electronic throttle-not. But love the fuel mileage and the delay is nice in the snowy months-it helps keep traction even though the car does not have ABS or traction control.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
You can control your shifting, have another gear which should help to keep your RPMs lower, exploit DFCO easier, compression brake and even coast in neutral a lot easier with the manual.

I get 45+ mpg to the tank at about 30/70 city/highway these days.

I agree on starting in 2nd, it helps a lot on starts in the snow.

To me the only advantage to the auto is driving in heavy traffic, but I just adjust my speed enough to try to eliminate or at least smooth out the stop and go, which is better on gas mileage, brakes and transmission anyway ... but it's a skill that I've pretty much had to master on the motorcycle.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I have the manual and routinely get 40 - 45Mpg on my commute, with an all time high of 54Mpg on 2 FE runs in the summer.

However, getting a ScanGauge II and adjusting my tires are the 2 things that got me the most increase in Mpg.
When the car was new, I was only getting the EPA rating of 36, with an occasional higher tank average. Now I track it by the trip with the ScanGauge and have to drive pretty sloppy to get below 40.

Note that only once a month or so do I have more than 15 minutes of real stop and go city driving on my trips. Some people coming from larger vehicles have trouble adjusting to the Yaris clutch. But for the driving I do, the slightly better FE and more enjoyable performance makes it well worth while to have the manual transmission.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Manual 3door
Average for the life of the car is just over 40mpg.
Average for the past 90 days is just over 39mpg.

I drive mostly in the 35-45mph range, with as little highway driving during the week as possible. I do have around a dozen 1,000 mile trips @ 75mph under my belt which usually net around 35-37mpg tanks which significantly lowers my average.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
I have the manual and routinely get 40 - 45Mpg on my commute, with an all time high of 54Mpg on 2 FE runs in the summer.

However, getting a ScanGauge II and adjusting my tires are the 2 things that got me the most increase in Mpg.
That's really good SpaceShot! Congratulations for breaking 50MPG. Hopefully, I can do the same! I'm trying really hard... but no dice yet. I'm actually on a 300+ mile trip right now...

If I may ask? What pressure did you set your tires? I just set mine to 38psi. Presently, I don't have ScanGuage II. I just listen to my engine... look at my tach all the time, and shift very gingerly. Mind you, I drive like a grandma.

I hear SG II helps out! Have you heard of Ecometer? I'm looking at Ecometer... the cost! I really don't know what either product offers...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The torque converters do have a clutch that locks up. But the auto is a 4 speed, and the gear ratios are a little different.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #18
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
That's really good SpaceShot! Congratulations for breaking 50MPG. Hopefully, I can do the same! I'm trying really hard... but no dice yet. I'm actually on a 300+ mile trip right now...

If I may ask? What pressure did you set your tires? I just set mine to 38psi. Presently, I don't have ScanGuage II. I just listen to my engine... look at my tach all the time, and shift very gingerly. Mind you, I drive like a grandma.

I hear SG II helps out! Have you heard of Ecometer? I'm looking at Ecometer... the cost! I really don't know what either product offers...

Cheers!
I used to drive just like you, like a grandma, without a scangauge, and netted myself about 39 in the city and 45 on the highway. After my scangauge, i couldnt believe the difference it makes, brought it up to about 45 in the city and about 50 on the highway.

My all time high was on a 19 mile highway trip from portland or to hillsboro or. I netted myself 55.5mpg on that trip, have yet to beat it. lol

I havent heard much about the ecometer, but i would definitely suggest the scangauge for anyone looking for mpg's.

Tags
automatic, manual, mpg