Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #37
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I noticed that white skin...also on the top of his hand it looks like a tat or maybe a scab, and that would explain the tape/bandage.

I know some are skeptical of the photo, but I think it's real and he's a lucky guy.
Yes, it looks like some kind of bandage, I agree. It's looking pretty real to me now, he's definitely very fortunate -
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #38
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I don't know if a western cultural mindset re 'helping' applies here? I have had friends (going back decades) who are first generation Korean-American and same Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Sri Lankan, Laotian, Filipino, and Indian.....but not Thai. I also had wonderful Chinese and Japanese neighbors while growing up, and shared traditional meals in their homes, cultural events, traditional street markets, and vacations. I guess my point is that each culture has different norms re personal space, traditions, behavioral norms, etc., and what might seem odd from a western reference point might not be within a local context. Perhaps eTiMaGo can weigh in with his relevant point of view if he sees this thread.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #39
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I don't know if a western cultural mindset re 'helping' applies here? I have had friends (going back decades) who are first generation Korean-American and same Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Sri Lankan, Laotian, Filipino, and Indian.....but not Thai. I also had wonderful Chinese and Japanese neighbors while growing up, and shared traditional meals in their homes, cultural events, traditional street markets, and vacations. I guess my point is that each culture has different norms re personal space, traditions, behavioral norms, etc., and what might seem odd from a western reference point might not be within a local context. Perhaps eTiMaGo can weigh in with his relevant point of view if he sees this thread.
I spent a lot of time in japan and sure watched my share of a variety of disasters/crash scenes/crimes from asia on television. people seem as eager to help out in disaster situations and such as we do here. I think that is pretty universal.

my opinion hasn't changed. if a crash survivor was working his way out of that mangled mess, somebody (imo) would be trying to physically help him out. the guys shoulder barely fits under the metal. I don't see that his head could have ever fit in there anywhere.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I spent a lot of time in japan and sure watched my share of a variety of disasters/crash scenes/crimes from asia on television. people seem as eager to help out in disaster situations and such as we do here. I think that is pretty universal.

my opinion hasn't changed. if a crash survivor was working his way out of that mangled mess, somebody (imo) would be trying to physically help him out. the guys shoulder barely fits under the metal. I don't see that his head could have ever fit in there anywhere.
I defer to you then. The amount of time I've spent in China is a proverbial hill of beans compared to the time you've spent in Japan, and I haven't watched a variety of disasters/crash scenes/and crimes from Asia on television .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #41
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
who's to say the people didn't try to help the man out before the guys with the proper tools came in? Just because there wasn't a picture of someone tugging on his arm doesn't mean it never happend. They probably did try to get him out, but was honestly stuck.

Anywho, I think your being closed minded but we are all titled to our own opinion. Crazier stuff has happend than this.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #42
ijaen
First time Toyota owner

Drives: 2014 Yaris sedan / Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
something doesn't jive with that crash scene. the guy climbing out from the wreckage...people taking video...nobody helping him get out...not a scratch, bruise, drop of blood..something is fishy, no?
That is how things work now, last week there was a flash flood inside my office because the a/c chiller unit blew a valve. People ran to take pictures and video while me and a couple guys used brooms and a table to divert water away from the carpet and server area....

But I agree, that guy is suspiciously clean for a person involved in such an accident.
ijaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #43
axiom

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Regarding both of these crashes and the reason why the airbags didn't go off. Doesn't the vehicle have to be in motion, traveling above a certain speed for front airbags to deploy? In both of these crashes, the car was hit while sitting still. The original YouTube crash said that the guy got hit and spun into oncoming traffic then getting hit by another vehicle head on. Obviously the second crash involved two stationary cars that got smashed by the big truck. It's just like how an airbag won't go off if someone were to kick the crap outta the bumper while you are stopped.
axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #44
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Another reason for no airbag deployment maybe the car has no airbags, they could have been stolen or if its a used car they could have been taken out and sold.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #45
timothyone

Drives: 2014 l standard 3 door
That thing on his wrist is an IV. They apparently took some time in getting him out, and had medical people working with them. I think it's very real. It would take a whole bunch of very weird people, including the cops and EMS people on site, to have someone jump into a scene like that and do fake pictures in a situation where someone had just died or been seriously injured.
timothyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #46
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Some rebuilt used cars from a previous accident have no airbags as the rebuilder cuts that corner to save some money..
Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #47
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
This was posted in the wrong section, moved it. Please remember to post your threads in the correct section.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote