Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
monkeydave

Drives: 2016 yaris icon
whistle noise from tyres/rear drum brakes

does anyone else have a whistle type noise from the rear wheel area of car?

thanks guys, two videos below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5ZvDjn614&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_iaSHuzQLw

oh yeah car is new 600 miles on it and i just want some thoughts before i go to the dealers weather its tyres, drum brake or (not likely) bad wheel bearing, the car drives quiet for a couple of miles and only does it over 45mph, brakes work great and have no noise or vibration in operation and no vibration when driving

thanks again

Last edited by monkeydave; 02-15-2017 at 02:56 PM.
monkeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
It's tough to tell from the videos, but since it only happens at high speed I would suspect a wheel balance issue or a tire wear issue. It would be a good idea to take the wheel off and get a good look. A tire weight could have fallen off or it could be feathering of the tire tread (run your hand along the tire thread to see if it feels even and smooth). Also check for any visible damage on the tire, look for a bulge in the sidewall and check the pressure.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
monkeydave

Drives: 2016 yaris icon
thanks for the reply

its done this since the begining and the car is brand new, there is no vibration at all when driving and the brakes work normally and do not change the sound when applied, i think is the drum brakes at the back or the tyres themselves but i dont think it is wheel bearings as the sound is different

it starts at about 40mph
monkeydave is offline   Reply With Quote