Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #55
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
I haven't hit 40 MPG yet. Is this all flat roads? I have a lot of hills on my highway commute.
I actually find that i get better mpg on hilly terrain, granted its still highway. Going down the hills i just throw it in neutral getting around 4-5 hundred mpg while maintaining speed (DFCO would slow my car, and i would again have to use gas, so neutral is better in this case).

There is one hill in particular that i drive all the time, 600 ft elevation gain and loss. From the start of my drive, the hill starts, 2.6 miles up, 3.5 miles back down, when i get to the top im at 24-25mpg, once im back at the bottom, im back to 44-45 mpg, then by the time im home, 13 miles later, im about 50-51mpg.

I think my car is magic...

Also, KrazyDawg, i notice you have an automatic, manuals are definitely easier to get better mileage with (which i have), and i baby mine.

Based on your gas log, you fill your tank quite often, what do you do that requires you to drive so many miles? I ask because i deliver pizza's and i do the same.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #56
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBob08 View Post
That is amazing. I honestly don't know if I can get another 10+mpg by just slowing down to 55-60mph, I usually only go about 70mph on the freeway. I noticed you have the sedan too, it seems like it is a bit more slick through the air than the HB, so that might help too. I am not complaining about my mileage at all, the best of any car ever owned, just that it seems that many people are able to get SIGNIFICANTLY more than I have ever seen. More power to y'all, whatever it is that you are doing!!
I have often wondered how so many can get such fantastic mileage yet I still get slightly under 40MPG. Makes me wonder if there aren't some tall tales told here!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #57
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I have often wondered how so many can get such fantastic mileage yet I still get slightly under 40MPG. Makes me wonder if there aren't some tall tales told here!
poor measurement of gasoline (1/10th gallon) can throw mileage calcs off.

over-inflation of tires is dangerous, yet many high-milers over-inflate
(dangerous in emergency handling and low traction conditions, not really dangerous
dry pavement non-cornering)

also, extreme use of hypermiling techniques (accelerating absurdly slow after stops for example)

I don't do any of the above, and I am getting 43 mpg tank average with 75%
highway miles at 67 mph 2010 Yaris 5 door automatic

this drops to 36 when I start driving around town on short trips.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 06-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #58
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Are the cars mostly empty too? We're almost always three on board, and I'm sure that lowers our fuel economy.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #59
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I can get 50mpg driving 80% highway with four people on board
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #60
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisduder View Post
Are the cars mostly empty too? We're almost always three on board, and I'm sure that lowers our fuel economy.
every single bit of added weight lowers mileage, unless that weight addition
adds power or fuel economy in some way to compensate for itself.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #61
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Stop and go can really hurt your mileage. When I'm doing city driving, I do a lot of compression braking (manual transmission), I time the lights and maintain constant speeds wherever possible. Engine braking with your foot off of the gas shuts off fuel completely so it's even better than idling in neutral! Of course knowing that, you can start off with more of your friction brake earlier to stay in compression braking for longer ;)

When you think about it, if you just reduce the number of times you even need to accelerate, it's even better than accelerating slowly. Very few people drive like that, if you're like the other 90% out there you just follow nose to bumper, mimicking the car in front of you with very little space or time to do anything different.

So knowing that, you should always be paying enough attention to what's going on in front of you to know when you need to start gliding in neutral to slow down, or when you need to start engine braking, always keeping things as smooth as possible for any cars behind you. As a rule of thumb, one should very very rarely need to use friction brakes on the highway. Thinking ahead, paying attention and driving more proactively is the key here, which is actually safer then following bumper to bumper and reacting.

You have to remember that your mileage really starts to drop off after 55, so I like to keep it between 50 and 60, in fact when there's no traffic behind me, I like to make it a point to allow the car to drop to 50 at the crest of a hill, and speed up no faster than 60 at the bottom, making small adjustments to that accelerator pedal where necessary. If there are downhill slopes that allow me to maintain the speed limit at 60 in neutral, I'll do it. And of course I'll use less gas on hills approaching areas where I know I can actually gain speed in neutral. And of course I'll even throw it in 5th gear and use DFCO when I know it will maintain it's speed, essentially using no fuel at all and holding the speed limit.

For me the real limiting factor for my fuel efficiency is that my trips are usually too short to allow the engine warm up enough. Heck, if you're mostly doing short trips like me and you do a lot of city driving you might be right on.

It's really all up to the individual and their driving conditions, but I can tell you from 1st hand experience it's very easy to achieve 50mpg on long trips if you can manage to keep the speed down.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #62
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post
Based on your gas log, you fill your tank quite often, what do you do that requires you to drive so many miles? I ask because i deliver pizza's and i do the same.
I have a 130 mile RT commute for work. On the weekends, I still commute a bit, so the Yaris never gets a break.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #63
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Im only getting 250-300 on a tank. So that's about 22-27mph if im correct. I drove once super slow and hypermillerish, and i think i still achieved only like 310-320 which is still about 29mpg... What do you guys recommend? Im about to change the spark plugs and air filter, any other ideas?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #64
Boost Addicted

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5spd, 2005 GLI 1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
Im only getting 250-300 on a tank. So that's about 22-27mph if im correct. I drove once super slow and hypermillerish, and i think i still achieved only like 310-320 which is still about 29mpg... What do you guys recommend? Im about to change the spark plugs and air filter, any other ideas?
Do you get up to speed slowly from a dead stop? Are you trying to keep your RPM's low by upshifting as much as possible? Cause if you're doing these things, THATS whats killing your fuel mileage.

Fuel consumption is all about load... Load can be visually seen if you use a vacuum gauge. High vacuum is low load, low vacuum is high load, and you'd be surprised to see what little usage of your right foot can do to your vacuum levels.

Think about it this way.... You're on the leg press machine starting with your knees at your chest... What takes more energy? Pushing the weight stack away from you, or holding it there? Holding it, right? the quicker you get there, the less energy you use. It would be like doing a slow leg press to the extended leg position, vs. extending your legs as quickly as possible and holding it there.

Stupid analogy, I know, but hopefully you can see how it works. I'm not saying peel away from every stop light, but do NOT be afraid of RPM's. Shift at 3-4K RPM's, cruise at no less than 2K, and get up to speed more quickly. You don't need to be unsafe about it, but I guarantee you'll see a difference in fuel mileage. Oh, and when coming to a stop, keep your car in gear.... Above 1200RPM's (IIRC) IN GEAR while your foot is off the throttle, your injector solenoids shut off... So you're using ZERO fuel.

/rant lol

PS. Air filters are most efficient at 60% of their life. A clean air filter allows only a slightly better flow, but a much less efficient ''cleaning'' of intake air.
Boost Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #65
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Changing spark plugs won't increase your mileage or power if you're not getting misfiring, which sets the "Check Engine" light and a trouble code. The original plugs are iridium ones good for 100,000 miles. Save your money.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #66
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
What kind of driving in Miami? Mostly highway or city? Miami driving can be very challenging to get high FE.

I used to live in Miami. All the stop and go driving will kill your FE. If you are driving like Kendall Drive (SW 88th Street) from Dadeland to West Kendall, I can see you averaging around 22-27mpg!

The previous poster, "Boost Addicted" gives you good advice!

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #67
yarr_is

Drives: yaris
Too much speeding yo
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #68
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
haha. ;d i try to keep highway speeds at 60-70 and drive down streets at 50-60

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #69
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

I did change my spark plugs and it sure felt like I had more power. No scientific evidence to support this, but the fool behind the wheel test was successful so that is the only evidence I really care about!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #70
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Stop and go can really hurt your mileage. When I'm doing city driving, I do a lot of compression braking (manual transmission), I time the lights and maintain constant speeds wherever possible. Engine braking with your foot off of the gas shuts off fuel completely so it's even better than idling in neutral! Of course knowing that, you can start off with more of your friction brake earlier to stay in compression braking for longer ;)

When you think about it, if you just reduce the number of times you even need to accelerate, it's even better than accelerating slowly. Very few people drive like that, if you're like the other 90% out there you just follow nose to bumper, mimicking the car in front of you with very little space or time to do anything different.

So knowing that, you should always be paying enough attention to what's going on in front of you to know when you need to start gliding in neutral to slow down, or when you need to start engine braking, always keeping things as smooth as possible for any cars behind you. As a rule of thumb, one should very very rarely need to use friction brakes on the highway. Thinking ahead, paying attention and driving more proactively is the key here, which is actually safer then following bumper to bumper and reacting.

You have to remember that your mileage really starts to drop off after 55, so I like to keep it between 50 and 60, in fact when there's no traffic behind me, I like to make it a point to allow the car to drop to 50 at the crest of a hill, and speed up no faster than 60 at the bottom, making small adjustments to that accelerator pedal where necessary. If there are downhill slopes that allow me to maintain the speed limit at 60 in neutral, I'll do it. And of course I'll use less gas on hills approaching areas where I know I can actually gain speed in neutral. And of course I'll even throw it in 5th gear and use DFCO when I know it will maintain it's speed, essentially using no fuel at all and holding the speed limit.

For me the real limiting factor for my fuel efficiency is that my trips are usually too short to allow the engine warm up enough. Heck, if you're mostly doing short trips like me and you do a lot of city driving you might be right on.

It's really all up to the individual and their driving conditions, but I can tell you from 1st hand experience it's very easy to achieve 50mpg on long trips if you can manage to keep the speed down.

When you have to drive on Interstates, driving slow is dangerous. I drive to Chicago once a week and I am lucky to drive 75 MPH without being run over. At 75MPH, I usually get around 35 to 38 MPG. I wish I could get 50 MPG, but for me, that isn't a realistic goal.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #71
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
When you have to drive on Interstates, driving slow is dangerous. I drive to Chicago once a week and I am lucky to drive 75 MPH without being run over. At 75MPH, I usually get around 35 to 38 MPG. I wish I could get 50 MPG, but for me, that isn't a realistic goal.
Agreed. Local turnpike (toll road) that I drive daily for approximately 54 miles out of my 100-ish mile commute, the posted limit is 65. I don't dare go much under that for fear of being run over (it's nearly happened a few times).

But even doing 65, I can easily average around 38mpg (occassional 37, or 40).

Not as great as what others can get with their Yarii, but truthfully, it's certainly good enough for me! It's better than most any other car out there performing under similar conditions (ex. prior car was a Mitsu Lancer ES; averaged 27mpg).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #72
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Some of you peeps need to leave your Road Raging areas and find saner corners of the country to live in.

I really hated it when some of the roads went to 75. Never drove faster than 65 max on those, and never will. As a passenger I was in a car that hit a deer at 75 in heavy traffic, and we escaped death by mere inches. Once was enough...