Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I put Vortex generators on my Tercel track day car...mainly to clear off the back window whens its raining. Can't see just about anything before I added them...after anything above 45mph my back window is dry! Have not noticed anything on the track in terms of better stability or anything like that.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Bumpity bump - any updates?

Also, I was wondering if those "shark fin" style VGs could be used in V-pairs like the OP set up on his. I assume the V-pairs is to create two counter-rotating vortices?

thanks
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
alfredyeez

Drives: Yaris Sedan
http://www.autospeed.com/A_3058/cms/article.html
alfredyeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
A quick update: no big change if any, either up or down in MPG per tankfull as near as I can tell. BUT the vastly improved straightline handling continues! I actually got it up to the extremely high speed (for me) of 78 mph the other day and it still tracked great "like it's on rails".

The other neat thing is they just look cool, and they keep drivers behind me at a red light entertained wondering what they are and what they do.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
Yeah. I was a bit disappointed there. My 2 tanks since the installation didn't return any higher MPG.

Oh well, come to think of it -- I was driving faster than usual too, since my car has been more stable.

Right now I've removed them and I'm planning to install small ones on the side of the back end instead.
I saw the new Camry Hybrids have them.

Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
Overkill Fab

Drives: 13' Yaris HB
well i'm new to the Yaris and this forum so I will keep it simple. Read up on the VG's and thought I would give it a try. I have a 100 mile commute everyday and want to maximize MPG.
So I had some scrap 1/2"x1/2"x1/16" angle aluminum in the shop and thought I would try that first.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/att...1&d=1373130395
used 3M hanger double sided tape to attach themhttp://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51285&stc=1&d=13731303 95
marked off even spaces for a total of 12 VG's.
used a protractor set at 18 degrees for the correct angle. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong as that's what I read is the best angle to use.
and installed them.
This was just a first try as I soon found out this is a bad spot as the rear hatch hits them. Also not to sure there current location is effective as its after the break for the rear hatch and I may move them forward. Also may up the size to 1"Hx2"L. but this is what I had lying around.
noticeable changes? Not really but the rear end did seem more stable when cornering at speed.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
Idahotom

I think you may want to move those forward. The picture I posted was my first spot, but then I moved them forward to right behind the antenna. The theory being the vg's need a little distance to effect the downstream airflow. Just a wild ass guess, no testing! But mine are now glued down right behind the antenna, In the aircraft world, somewhat the same deal, they are put a bit ahead of where you want the effect most. The good thing about the double sided tape is it's easy enoguh to try a few places, and yeah from a practical standpoint further forward is better re: hatchback opening!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Fab View Post
well i'm new to the Yaris and this forum so I will keep it simple. Read up on the VG's and thought I would give it a try. I have a 100 mile commute everyday and want to maximize MPG.
So I had some scrap 1/2"x1/2"x1/16" angle aluminum in the shop and thought I would try that first.
used 3M hanger double sided tape to attach themhttp://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51285&stc=1&d=13731303 95
marked off even spaces for a total of 12 VG's.
used a protractor set at 18 degrees for the correct angle. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong as that's what I read is the best angle to use.
and installed them.
This was just a first try as I soon found out this is a bad spot as the rear hatch hits them. Also not to sure there current location is effective as its after the break for the rear hatch and I may move them forward. Also may up the size to 1"Hx2"L. but this is what I had lying around.
noticeable changes? Not really but the rear end did seem more stable when cornering at speed.
Damn drive a yaris in md and have a long commute to fabricate...we must be brothers.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
Overkill Fab

Drives: 13' Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Damn drive a yaris in md and have a long commute to fabricate...we must be brothers.
yeah it sucks! I think I've bought tubing off you for my Eclipse! LOL
Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Yaristeve

After being batted around like a ball of yarn in a kitty's paws today due to the wind, I was reminded of this thread and wondered if anyone had any updates...
Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
This interests me also.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Idahotom

Mine are still doing their thing, no mileage increase, discernible anyway, but much improved straight line tracking. A very strong direct x wind can still move it around a bit, but even that situation is improved.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #31
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
Mine are still doing their thing, no mileage increase, discernible anyway, but much improved straight line tracking. A very strong direct x wind can still move it around a bit, but even that situation is improved.
Are your VGs the smaller 1" X 0.4" ones or the 1.5" X 0.?" ones? I noticed that ebay started a aircraft section in their ebay motors and there is an auction for the smaller size VGs.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
Idahotom

Mine are the smaller ones. Bigger ones are not more effective I'm told, as the layer of air you are trying to control is .1 of an inch. Bigger may look more effective but there is a reason they make the small ones the size they do.

Having said that, I know the aircraft supply company I got mine from for my plane (MicroAerodynamics) DOES supply larger ones for use on the horizontal stabilizer, in front of the elevator. They make the elevator more effective at slower air speeds, like right when you really need it, landing. I only had enough of the small size left over from the plane install, so that's what I used on the Yaris. They make such a difference in the straight line stability, work so well in other words, I'm glad I didn't use the big ones.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #33
Yaristeve

Thanks. I guess I will try them out...
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
Rodger Wilco

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Yeah i dont think that you will get much more MPGs out of the VGs but I bet that it keeps dust off the back window more. I cant imagine that adding drag to the surface will increase your efficiency. On aircraft they delay airflow separation (as you know I am sure), but they also add drag.

Help me understand what benefit you would be getting out of them on the yaris, other than looks?
Rodger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
Idahotom

Increased stability at highway speeds (60 mph +) was my result, as noted. A dramatic difference, especially I had them taped on first while testing, drove for a week, then took them off and drove another week. All these miles on my usual well known route, that features several flags along the way to keep me informed as to any wind. This increased stability is especially noticeable when along a semi.

I didn't do it for looks, that's for sure. My mileage has stayed the same, no better no worse, and I keep real good track every fillup. My guess is the very slight extra drag is offset by the apparently cleaned up airflow on the ass end. Getting back to the looks thing, not my reason but now that I feel what they did for my car anyway, yes it does give people behind you at a stoplight something to cogitate over!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #36
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Your original pics are dead. How about some new ones since this thread is seeing a resurrection.