Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
gofasterr

Drives: 07 yaris
Stubborn Lower ball joints

I am trying to remove my lower ball joint from its arm, but having little luck. I went and got the separator from harbor freight mentioned on the similar thread, but no luck. My 07 has the ball joints separating from below, not up and out, the way the separator is designed. I have smacked it with a hammer and tried lube, I just dont know what to do. Advice?
gofasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
They are pressed in well to the A arm. To remove them you have to either use a ball joint press (different than the tool from separating the A arm from the knuckle) or remove the A arm, clamp it in a vice, heat the A arm around the base of the joint, and then whack it out with a sledge hammer.

I have a brand new passenger A arm and joint and a used, but good driver's side one if you can't get them out.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
gofasterr

Hey, thanks! I will give the press a shot and then see where I stand. Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
gofasterr

So i used the press and it broke the ball joint out the bottom and now there is a piece still left in the A arm. Is that what is called the knuckle? I can attempt to use the press to push that out too, but my first attempt made it feel like that was not going to happen.[IMG]pic.twitter.com/r2122gOAuN[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
gofasterr

There is the picture from my last post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.JPG (161.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The knuckle is the part that the hub is attached to. It is hard to tell from your photo if what is left is just the flange that the ball joint mounts into or if it is part of the joint. Did you purchase a replacement ball joint yet, where you can see if it fits or if the other piece has to come out?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
gofasterr

Yeah, its the piece the ball joint fits into. I have my new ones, as seen in the picture. The piece left in the arm has to come out, as the new one is part of the whole assembly I am trying to replace. I didnt see any threads, so not sure what to do with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.JPG (95.0 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK. So you will have to try to press that out.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
gofasterr

Right-o. Ill post in the AM when i give it a try
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
gofasterr

So I was able to press the remaining piece out. For posterity, here is what happened:

I got a ball joint press from an auto parts store (Big C-Clamp looking thing with collars and caps) and used it to press the ball joints out. Because they press from the top, all the stress was placed on the bolt/ball. This broke them out the bottom of its housing, ruining the ball joint, but hey, I was replacing them. Then the housing, which was left behind, had to be pressed out. Then I was able to press my replacement parts in with minor difficulties.

Much thanks to CTScott for the advice!!