Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
BLOODY_STONE

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris 1.3 sedan
replace suspension all at once ?

Hi guys

My yaris has 140,000 kms so far

car feels a bit sloppy , bad on rough roads

all these years i had the yaris , driving in bad conditions and very rough and broken roads ,, I am starting to consider replacing the suspension ..

By visual inspection , everything looks fine ,, no broken stuff , no torn rubber

but ride comfort is not good , much lower stability , some "ticking" and "clicking" sounds from time to time on rough roads and bumps ,, some times squishy sounds too ,,

Should i replace all the suspension parts all at once ? or take it all apart and replacing any needed piece?
BLOODY_STONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
just because it's not visible, does not mean it's not worn out. you should do as much as you can at the same time. if you can do struts/shocks+springs, bushings and ball joints, tie rods and endlinks and maybe control arm bushings all at the same time, that would be for the best. if you could do the engine/trans mounts too, that would be even better.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
BLOODY_STONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
just because it's not visible, does not mean it's not worn out. you should do as much as you can at the same time. if you can do struts/shocks+springs, bushings and ball joints, tie rods and endlinks and maybe control arm bushings all at the same time, that would be for the best. if you could do the engine/trans mounts too, that would be even better.
ya i was thinking of changing all of that at the same time ,, but some people told me its a waste of money ,, not sure what to do

i got all the parts in my garage but people keep telling me dont rush and wait till something gets broken then replace it ,,

looks like there are different schools in that stuff ,, lets wait for other ppls comments
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
imo, if you do the work yourself and have properly inspected the buchings and they do not have telltale signs of wear then I'd only fix what is broken/almost broken.

If you're paying to have the work done then I'd do it all at once since it will save a lot on labor.

Keep in mind that many aftermarket parts do not last nearly as long as oem so I wouldn't recommend just swapping out parts (unless you bought oem) because you have them unless you see that they are worn or are showing signs of wear.

Control arms bushings (the puck bushings at least) you can usually see wear when you jack the car up and there is no load on the suspension. You'll see smaller cracks forming - more than what is normal for rubber bushings. This is what I have on my Yaris at 175k km.

Just my 2 cents but some things to consider none the less

As a side, what's the story behind your username....scares me a little bit...
Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
BLOODY_STONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

lol this what other guys back in school used to call me 😄 was a fatass bad boy😂

anyways , a mechanic is doing it for me , some small cracks are showing up in the rubbers except for the cv joints ,, but the mechanic says its ok as long as nothing is torn up

so should i change ? i got all oem