Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Ramon1691

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Yaris kind of slow !!!!!!!!🔴🔴

Is it my imagination or the Yaris gets smoked by pretty much any other car, it seems the only people I pass on this bad boy is people on bikes lol or walking. I get on the freeway and feel like I'm going 45 instead of 70 lol and I know Is a echo box but I feel like they should of gave it atleast 130 hp :)
Ramon1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I found my 2007 (and now my 2014) rather quick... and very nimble. If you're not too timid to really get on it, the car performs surprisingly well... even with the 4-speed automatic.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #3
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
My car before the Yaris was a '96 Geo Metro, with three cylinders of fury putting out 49hp. I was constantly frustrated by people in front of me on highway on-ramps who didn't seem to know what the right pedal was for. I never had any trouble keeping up with traffic, unless I was going up a mountain, or the speed limit was above 75. The speedometer only went up to 85 for a reason.

The Yaris feels like a rocket ship by comparison. It has more than twice the power, and only weighs a few hundred more pounds. It can go 115mph. How much faster do you need to go?
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
It can go 115mph. How much faster do you need to go?

it aint slow

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 02-12-2017 at 11:30 PM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post

it aint slow

You got that from my sister store!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
Old article but demonstrates the "agility" of the Yaris....

http://www.motortrend.com/news/top-1...or-trend-1768/
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I agree with what others have stated above. It has more than enough power if you aren't afraid to push the pedal to the floor. It helps if you have a manual trans as you can get it to the rpm that you want and therefore get it into the power band.

I feel that many people in North America are so used to big 6 or 8 cyliner engines where torque comes at lower rpm's. They aren't used to putting the pedal right down to wide open throttle.

I would agree that the 1nz runs out of breath above 5k rpm with out and flow mods...but that is what the 2zr swap is for ;)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
Ramon1691

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Hey

Thanks for the replies yea is enough power I just don't like to floor it, however when I'm at a stop sign i have to floor it to make it fast I have the 4 speed auto I just feel sometimes like people are always tailgating me maybe because is a small car but I always stick to the speed limit or is it that Americans like to speed all the time lol 😂 idk maybe is the size of the car but I deserve the same respect as those big v8 trucks...... and when I'm merging in the freeway I try to avoid short entrances too it sounds like a little tank too, a few rattles but then I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the car I love it tho great gas saver, reliable, girls compliment me on it guys give me weird looks lol
Ramon1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon1691 View Post
but I always stick to the speed limit
so the Yaris isn't slow the driver is...and yes pretty much any where in NA if you drive the exact speed limit you will be tail gated. Up here the accepted safe norm is about 10 km/h over the limit and you'll have no issues with cops.

Going the exact speed limit is pretty ridiculous...or at least it is around here where speed limits tend to not follow much rationale and many times are used more as a way to boost municipal income. When I've driven through the States I found that the speed limits were a bit more realistic especially on the highways.

With most 4 bangers you can't be afraid to go WOT or you'll always have low power. Most hit their optimal powerband around 4500 rpm. Notice the red line of v8's are much lower than 4 bangers.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I bought my Yaris to be reliable and cheap transportation, and it does that just fine. I drive somewhat cautiously (I don't like hitting the gas too hard) and people are constantly itching to get by me when I'm starting out from a stop sign/red light. They get in the left lane and zoom right by me like I'm standing still....I suspect I piss a few of them off, but that's how it goes.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Don't fret, look around at the people who are passing. Most are candidates for autonomous vehicles anyway. What everyone else is saying is true. I usually drive mine in the power band from 3000-5500 RPM anything outside that is just wasteful. This engine is a blast once you get it going, but of course I have a 5 speed. I would also tend to agree that some people have micro-aggressive behaviors around small cars. I just plant the pedal, and the rest is their problem. I've been looking around at different cars to replace mine as I'm always re-evaluating my purchases, however I could easily get swept up in the "new is better" culture. Best bang for the buck, the Yaris is the best and I keep coming back. It's proven, simple, cheap, and modable enough. Most cars nowadays are sacrificing durability for the sake of new emissions regulations and are stacked with tech. Always remember that the turtle beats the hare. Have fun with it!
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
It's true, people do not respect small cars much, and big trucks just feel closer when you're in something smaller.

If other drivers want to treat every stop sign or red light as a drag race, let them. There's no need to play that game if you don't want to. There's also no need to worry about flooring the pedal if you really need to, like on a short on-ramp. It's a tough little engine, it can take the abuse.

Like tmontague said, everyone tends to go about 5mph above the speed limit at all times, and you're not likely to get in trouble until you go more than 10 over the limit, unless you're in a school zone or something. People will get irritated if you keep it right at the limit.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ I got a speeding ticket for 51MPH in a 45MPH zone. Cost me over $300 with fine, fees, and traffic school! Now, I try to drive very close to the speed limit.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I rev it out on a regular.

I find good freeway on-ramp match-ups are against cars that had more power, but are a older now. Mid to late 90's model Civic's, Corolla's, Sentra's, etc. seem to love to try and beat me onto the freeway, but as long as they're not modded, I usually get them - and it feels great lol.

Most modern cars get the right of way, though. With 106 bhp, we're not getting by many modern vehicles.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ I got a speeding ticket for 51MPH in a 45MPH zone. Cost me over $300 with fine, fees, and traffic school! Now, I try to drive very close to the speed limit.
School or construction zone?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #16
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Yaris kind of slow !!!!!!!!🔴🔴

The acceleration is slow. But, if you are patient you can make it speed up. The highest I have archived is 195km or else 121mph.
I have the hatchback model, 6speed manual 1.33L 100hp. The best spot for this engine is the 3.000 rpm. When u hit 3.000 the engine comes to life and starts pushing power to the wheels more aggressively . (I guess it's the vvti technology)

But as I said slow acceleration but only if you compare it with turbo engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^I don't know what's going on here?^^^
I haven't gotten a ticket in a many years, but one time I got one for 121 in a 75. it was $125.00 and like 3 points. I don't think I could have a license in CA.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #18
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Typical 4-cylinder car, much like what I have driven all my life. From a weight-to-horsepower ratio perspective, it (5spd Manual) isn't any different from a get-up-and-go standpoint as all the various (5spd Manual) 4-cylinder Honda's that I have driven over the last 35 or so years. It isn't a rocket, but it is adequate and doesn't feel sluggish to me (at least not in manual form).
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote