Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
vwhugger

Drives: 2008 and 2012 Yaris 2dr
Wheel removal

This is kind of a stupid question but why do I have such a hard time removing the wheels on my Yaris'? I usually rotate the tires around 10k miles give or take and I usually need to take a sledge and give them a sharp blow to unloosen them from the hub. I've put ant-seize, etc on them but to no avail. Never had a problem with other vehicles that I've owned.
vwhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
There is a very close fit on the wheels between the hub of the brake drum/rotor and the wheel itself. Im thinking if you put anti seize on this spot there woudnt be a problem. Put it on the hub and on the wheel.

I see you live where theres a lot of salt/snow on the roads in winter. Thats the problem.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
vwhugger

Drives: 2008 and 2012 Yaris 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
There is a very close fit on the wheels between the hub of the brake drum/rotor and the wheel itself. Im thinking if you put anti seize on this spot there woudnt be a problem. Put it on the hub and on the wheel.

I see you live where theres a lot of salt/snow on the roads in winter. Thats the problem.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
I'll give that a shot next time. It'll be a while before I'll know though. One other thing, I was thinking of opening the center hole of the wheel a bit also.
vwhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I smear a thin layer of grease around the hub bore and have never had an issue with stuck wheels since I implemented the practice. This is not an application for anti-seize in my mind.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
[QUOTE=vwhugger;792585]I'll give that a shot next time. It'll be a while before I'll know though. One other thing, I was thinking of opening the center hole of the wheel a bit also.[/QUOTE

If you do open the hole just file a little. I think the close fit is to ensure concentricity.

No one else does that though, in my experience.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I definitely wouldn't make the hub bore larger.

I just put anti seize on the hub bore and haven't had a issue since. You're likely not putting it on the correct spot hence why you're still having issues
Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The rims are what's known as Hub Centric. It's centres the rims on the hub and the lug nuts only hold it on, they don't centre it and carry the load the hub does. So because of the close tolerance of the two mating surfaces even the smallest amount of rust buildup can cause them to stick together.

So as everyone else is saying, you just need to lube up the centre.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
tight stuck wheel removal abrasive emery sand paper fit fits hub bore drum

A mechanic I've watched, trust and learned from used a piece of abrasive paper to clean up the rear drum's hub and the rim center hole until the wheel slid on easily. (This was on a 2007 hatch from Gilroy CA car that seems to have never seen dirt, salt or water.) Then assembled with silver colored anti-size.

I'll say don't open up this clearance too much or you'll subject the joint to bad effects of an orbiting load (why the left bicycle pedal has left hand threading...orbit a round fence post and find it turns the opposite direction with great power) and/or change the system from hub-centered to lug-centered.

Want to see a stuck wheel? Install a newly powder coated steelie w/o first confirming the easy fit.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Yea, don't open up the hub bore. Use some sort of thick grease or anti-seize on the hub and just leave it. Clean off the hub and wheel before reinstallation with a wire brush or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote