Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Carelessness of some TOYO mechanics ;

Decided to take a look at the air filter and try to find any oil leaks before changing the oil after the recent head gasket replacement of the '08 sedan . When we got the car back about 2 weeks ago I checked the dipstick on the next day and found that it read over a 1/4 of an inch above the FULL mark . Would think that to be a 1/2 quart overfull . Then kept an eye out for any oil leaks from the new F.I.P.G. sealant and nothing as of yet . Then earlier today I put the car on ramps to get a better look for any leaks and discovered the oil filter they had installed had oil on the bottom of it and that it was not tightened properly as where I could easily unscrew the filter . Then checked the air filter that was installed in APRIL and found it to be filthy . Looks like they set the upper part of filter ( side of throttle body ) on a dirty work bench or threw it on the grimy floor . Thus I had to find the old air filter and clean it with a vacuum cleaner and install that one in which will be replaced by a new one that we'll pick up tomorrow . Then I decided to drain the overfilled oil that may have sealants in it from the head gasket replacement and put on a new TOYO oil filter . Now reads at the FULL mark . Concerns us of what we can't see that was performed by the mechanic(s) . Here's some pics of the dirty air filter and the oily bottom of oil filter ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0551.jpg (64.5 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0552.jpg (81.4 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0560.jpg (118.0 KB, 282 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
this is not normal ! you should ask your money back
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry33 View Post
this is not normal ! you should ask your money back
This was under warranty from TOYOTA for the head cylinder gasket replacement .
Old 09-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
so change the dealer
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Oil filter should be only hand tight. It should be able to be removed by hand at the time of the next oil change service. That little bit of dirt that you see on the filter also will not effect any performance whatsoever. What you want to look for is dirt trapped between the veins the spaces in between. If you hold it up to the light you should easily see it between them. If not then its dirty. Also 1/4 of a inch for our small engine is about 1/5th a quart overfull if that. I believe our engines take about 3.8 quarts they probably just put in 4 bottles full and called it a day.

1/2 a quart overfull it would be a inch or so above the full mark. Reality it wouldnt cause any issues if it was that full too. Possibly over time if it was filled that much after many oil changes the excessive crankcase pressure might cause some oil leaks from the valve cover or oil pan gasket.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Hershey

Oil filter should be only hand tight. It should be able to be removed by hand at the time of the next oil change service.

That is not dirt on the bottom of the oil filter . It's fresh oil . The filter was loose enough to let the oil leak down the back of it to the bottom . I could spin it off with no force . You should tighten the filter about 2/3 of a turn after getting it tightened by hand to get a good seal . I've been doing oil changes for over 20 years now and know what a leaking oil filter looks like . The picture shows the wet spot from the fresh oil that seeped from the top of the filter .
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
To be honest that filter doesn't look to bad and depending on where you live could get dirty like that if you already had dirt in your air box. Oil filters are hand tightened, probably shouldn't be able to easily unscrew with your hand but if you are strong you will be able to. As for it having oil on it, well the mechanic just didn't clean it off. Normally they wont or forget to wipe it down because you want a 30 min oil change. I normally do a 2hr oil change to get everything out and all done nice and neat. As for the level being that high, it's probably because they put in 4qts, I did this on my last one and I am 1-2mm over the line and I have not had any foam. The reason you worry about overfilling is mainly foam or air bubbles that will cause damage but I have had none every time i slightly over fill the engine.

In the end you need to realize that if you want it it done perfect you need to not rush a mechanic (mechanics are always rushing to get the oil change out so don't expect it to actually happen) or just DIY (the better of the two options).
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Hershey

as for the air filter , I disagree . Installed a new one .
Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
oh no! there is red stuff on the filter! That must be blood, the mechanic obviously bled on your filter while installing, who knows where he bled, you should check your car, it could be everywhere!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
Hershey

Another pic of the oil filter with drop of oil ( circled in black ) surrounded by a film of oil ( circled in RED ). It is what it is . Would have been a larger drop , but some came off on the tip of my finger . Could have loosened more over time with worse results . Have seen it occur on other vehicles over the past 20 plus years .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0555.jpg (65.3 KB, 187 views)
Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
oh no! there is red stuff on the filter! That must be blood, the mechanic obviously bled on your filter while installing, who knows where he bled, you should check your car, it could be everywhere!
Ha , Ha . Did notice that . Wonder if it's coolant that got on it during the head cylinder gasket replacement . .
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

slow down don't want to give nancy a panic attack.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Ha , Ha . Did notice that . Wonder if it's coolant that got on it during the head cylinder gasket replacement . .
dude seriously, i think you need to find a good mechanic, someone you trust, and have them look everything over. You are giving yourself a migraine with all of this insanity. You have had some bad luck, but that doesn't mean every little thing is bad or going to go terribly wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
I feel bad for the guy, he didn't even think what i wrote was sarcasm.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
Hershey

I feel bad for the guy, he didn't even think what i wrote was sarcasm.

I'm quite aware of your sarcasm .
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Hershey

Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i went in stating my wipers were streaking...and i'd replaced then recently with new toyota wipers and that they werent cleaning.

they looked at my car for 5 hours...i saw the 'time punches'...they told me that it wasnt warranty because they found no problems with my wipers and that i was to pay over 500 for the mechanic's time. how long does it take to check wipers? seriously...hit the switch, watch them move back and forth till they stop....is the windshield clean?

any way, long story short...they got hammered on the survey. they got all zero's, and i got a call from the manager about why, and what they could do to fix it...i said to fix my car and i'd be happy. but they wouldnt so i'm not happy. now i have to drive 45 minutes to the other dealer, in the opposite direction that i will ever need to go, just to get to another toyota dealer. but i'm happy w them, they fixed it. new wiper arms and blades...that's all it was.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
jcemitte

Drives: 09 yaris sedan
BAHHH!
the dealership did a shitty job end of story. its not some johnny 10 minute oil change its the damn dealership! there is a certain level of professionalism expected for a dealership, especially toyota. i worked a lube truck for john deere and tractors are, quite literly, running in the shittiest conditions out there and if a farmer saw his air filters and oil filters with all the mess i woulda got my ass chewed so bad i couldn't sit for a week.
bottomline, the mechanic, was neglagent, so was his boss. hershey is right to be pissed, i would be.
jcemitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Well not to be an ass, but why can't you replace a filter and do an oil change yourself? Whenever u get the car serviced anywhere u should always verify the work they do and look out for things like this.