Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
coolcat21

Drives: 2004 Toyota Allex
Broken shift interlock override button ??

Hi guys,
I've just noticed that in my 2004 Toyota Allex (it's basically a corolla frame with all the yaris running gear, same tranny, engine, tyres, EPS, ABS, EBD , BA etc. etc.) the red shift interlock override button that's above the 'P' sign of the gear lever do absolutely nothing.

With the engine off, key not in ignition , and brakes not pressed , I can press the button just fine but the gear lever won't move out of park no matter what i do (whilst pressing the red button).

The gear lever button itself (the big main one) is in the locked position.

All other situations are as normal , if i put the key in acc/start and press the brake then i can move the lever from P to L just fine, and the gearshifts are fine too.

Is this something that's potentially gonna be expensive to repair ? Do you know what it could be ?
My personal mechanic doesn't know what it could be as even in his old toyota it works without pressing anything or entering the keys , just pressing the little button is fine.

Thanks in advance!
coolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat21 View Post
Hi guys,
I've just noticed that in my 2004 Toyota Allex (it's basically a corolla frame with all the yaris running gear, same tranny, engine, tyres, EPS, ABS, EBD , BA etc. etc.) the red shift interlock override button that's above the 'P' sign of the gear lever do absolutely nothing.

With the engine off, key not in ignition , and brakes not pressed , I can press the button just fine but the gear lever won't move out of park no matter what i do (whilst pressing the red button).

The gear lever button itself (the big main one) is in the locked position.

All other situations are as normal , if i put the key in acc/start and press the brake then i can move the lever from P to L just fine, and the gearshifts are fine too.

Is this something that's potentially gonna be expensive to repair ? Do you know what it could be ?
My personal mechanic doesn't know what it could be as even in his old toyota it works without pressing anything or entering the keys , just pressing the little button is fine.

Thanks in advance!
I am not sure on your car, but on the Yaris that button is simply a mechanical override for the solenoid that prevents the shifter from moving unless the brake pedal is pressed. On the Yaris it simply presses the lever that the solenoid would press when engaged. So, on your car it could be something like that lever being broken or out of position. Typically those small parts are not available separately, so in a worst case you would be looking at tracking down a shifter assembly from a wrecked car.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
coolcat21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I am not sure on your car, but on the Yaris that button is simply a mechanical override for the solenoid that prevents the shifter from moving unless the brake pedal is pressed. On the Yaris it simply presses the lever that the solenoid would press when engaged. So, on your car it could be something like that lever being broken or out of position. Typically those small parts are not available separately, so in a worst case you would be looking at tracking down a shifter assembly from a wrecked car.
Oh dear, do you mean the gear lever is actually broken ? is that what you meant by "lever" ?
I need some kind of diagram so i can explain to the wrecker if i end up having to replace the "whole thing".

It's not the whole transmission though right ? and is it save to drive meanwhile ? I drive about 30 miles a day. If i wait a few weeks or months to save $$$, will it affect the tranny in the long run ?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The only purpose that serves is to allow the shifter to be moved out of Park without pressing the brake pedal: for example if your battery is dead, you lost your keys, the solenoid breaks, etc. If the rest of the shifter functions normally, then I wouldn't worry about it. The only time I've ever used one was to roll a parked car out of the way when I didn't have the keys for it.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh dear, do you mean the gear lever is actually broken ? is that what you meant by "lever" ?
I need some kind of diagram so i can explain to the wrecker if i end up having to replace the "whole thing".

It's not the whole transmission though right ? and is it save to drive meanwhile ? I drive about 30 miles a day. If i wait a few weeks or months to save $$$, will it affect the tranny in the long run ?
Not the shift lever - just a small plastic piece within the shifter assembly. It is definitely not a problem with the transmission. The shifter assembly simply moves a cable that moves a lever on the transmission. The shift lock override is simply a part of the shifter and has no direct effect on the transmission. Typically it never gets used, except when the vehicle needs to be rolled, when the battery is dead.

Here is a diagram of the Yaris shifter assembly showing the little lever mechanism of the override.
Name:  U340 Automatic Transaxle.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  111.8 KB
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
coolcat21

Thank you crankyoldman and CTscott.
I'll see if anybody here has an idea (or maybe parts) without replacing the whole assembly, otherwise to the wrecker I go.

hopefully my battery doesn't go dead anytime soon whilst needing to move the car lol.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thank you crankyoldman and CTscott.
I'll see if anybody here has an idea (or maybe parts) without replacing the whole assembly, otherwise to the wrecker I go.

hopefully my battery doesn't go dead anytime soon whilst needing to move the car lol.
Actually it looks like the shift lock release is something that can be purchased separately. There are three parts that make up the shift lock release on your Allex. The "link" or "spring" are most likely the problem.

Button, shift lock release: 33563-12190
Spring, compression for shift lock release: 90501-05055
Link, shift lock release: 33564-12130
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
coolcat21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Actually it looks like the shift lock release is something that can be purchased separately. There are three parts that make up the shift lock release on your Allex. The "link" or "spring" are most likely the problem.

Button, shift lock release: 33563-12190
Spring, compression for shift lock release: 90501-05055
Link, shift lock release: 33564-12130
Many thanks !