Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
monchyxb

Drives: scion xb
Custom Intake manifold!

I just bought a corolla 2000 intake manifold with the flange made for the 1nz. Also adapted a corolla 2zz throttle body. Did some powder coating and mounted it today! had to improvise for the moment with the vacuum hoses but I will fix this tomorrow... right now I wanna test this! here are some of the pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 310717_10150795667160184_812920183_20390746_1744757826_n.jpg (69.7 KB, 640 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (210.8 KB, 464 views)
monchyxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
result should be interesting - no-plenum design
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
What's the throttle body flange inner diameter? I've been thinking I want to try and fab up my own to get the full 1ZZ tb diameter instead of necking it down to stock.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Cool! Is this a one off or is someone making these?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

thread should go in Performance Mods, no?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
netz2008

Drives: 2008 hatchback
Wow, drive by cable? Second Yaris I know that uses that!
I've got the 1zz throttle body, and my intake manifold is ground down to the diameter of that throttle body (big difference between a stock intake manifold and port matched btw)
netz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^ his "Drives:" is an xb so why wouldn't it have a throttle cable?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
monchyxb

People here in Puerto Rico are doing it for the 1NZ.. I have seen a couple on a classifieds web page from here.. I bought it for 150 from a guy who claimed around 8hp on an aspirated motor. I felt more power just bolt on, but some A/F problems at idle the motor turns very lean so next week I'm off to the dyno to do a tune and see the numbers.

BTW how do I change this to performance mods??? Sorry noob here!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
monchyxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
What's the throttle body flange inner diameter? I've been thinking I want to try and fab up my own to get the full 1ZZ tb diameter instead of necking it down to stock.

I think its a little bit more than 2.25". Huge response when going WOT. If you want to do it you'll have to make a custom flange since the throttle is 4 bolts instead of 3.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monchyxb View Post
If you want to do it you'll have to make a custom flange since the throttle is 4 bolts instead of 3.
Crap, I knew there was a catch! I thought there were some drive-by-wire TBs with three bolts, but looks like only the cable driven ones have 3. Does it look like the end of the plenum could be cut off and re-welded with a new flange? The only pic I could find online was a side view that doesn't show the TB port.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Even if it doesn't make much power, it's sexy as hell; I'd rock that.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #12
Nanoss22

Drives: Yaris sedan 10 std...
Uff PR lo hace mejor a mi me venden.una en 50 pesos pero.hay q hacerle la chapa mas lo del trotel ... De q parte eres???
Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
monchyxb

Quote:
Crap, I knew there was a catch! I thought there were some drive-by-wire TBs with three bolts, but looks like only the cable driven ones have 3. Does it look like the end of the plenum could be cut off and re-welded with a new flange? The only pic I could find online was a side view that doesn't show the TB port.

Yes you could cut were the throttle is bolted on and make a flange for the other throttle and weld it. It has the space to do it! Or you could use the throttle that comes with the manifold which is bigger than the 1nz.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
monchyxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoss22 View Post
Uff PR lo hace mejor a mi me venden.una en 50 pesos pero.hay q hacerle la chapa mas lo del trotel ... De q parte eres???
From Mayaguez! 50 bucks sounds nice.. but the expensive part here is making the flange to make it fit in our motors, The guy who I bought it from said it cost him 100 to make the flange :/
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
monchyxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Even if it doesn't make much power, it's sexy as hell; I'd rock that.

It does look very sexy! Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Or you could use the throttle that comes with the manifold which is bigger than the 1nz.
The yaris uses electric throttle control (DBW), not a cable like the xB. There are plenty of 1.8L throttle bodies for the 4-bolt pattern with DBW, but none that I can find with the 3-bolt pattern and DBW.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
monchyxb

Quote:
The yaris uses electric throttle control (DBW), not a cable like the xB. There are plenty of 1.8L throttle bodies for the 4-bolt pattern with DBW, but none that I can find with the 3-bolt pattern and DBW.
I see, well then you have to make a flange from 3 bolts to 4 bolts like I did. If you look at my first picture look at the spacer between my manifold and throttle. You'll need to make a flange that bolts to the 3 bolts of the manifold and on the opposite side of the flange put 4 studs(symmetrical to the throttle) in which you will bolt the new throttle. Wish I had the pictures of the flange so I can show you, but its pretty easy and I can to help you out with questions If you are going to do that.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
I can to help you out with questions If you are going to do that.
I know it's a bit late to get measurements off of the one you just installed, but if you could find a way to get the dimensions of the head-end flange holes, that would be great. If someone has a spare 4-bolt TB handy and could do the same for the manifold-side of the 4-bolt TB, that would also be great. I was thinking that you might be able to do a rubbing with a piece of paper and a crayon or pencil, or just trace around the edges and holes. I'm not entirely sure how you would transfer the image to the interwebs, but a scanner or something could be used. Hell, maybe even snail mail?

Edit:

I just picked up a manifold yesterday, and ordered a TB last night. The only thing I need to get this project rolling is the dimensions and layout of the cylinder head flange. Do you by chance know if the cylinder spacing is the same on the 1NZ and the 1ZZ?

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 10-14-2011 at 07:43 AM.