Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #37
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
That makes sense, but QT has big labels on all the pumps stating the "up to 10% ethanol" so I dont think its that, not sure, but I also dont argue with success,lol. They are real good about jumping into any gas war too so the prices are as low or lower most of the time.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #38
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

So does everyone else have those "up to 10% ethanol" labels.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Most of them, I believe, I know the one I filled up this weekend did. Ive always heard ethanol would hurt mileage, and maybe ,as you all have said, there are other contributing factors.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #40
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
That makes sense, but QT has big labels on all the pumps stating the "up to 10% ethanol" so I dont think its that, not sure, but I also dont argue with success,lol. They are real good about jumping into any gas war too so the prices are as low or lower most of the time.
Seeing as this came up, as you know ethanol reduces fuel efficiency, so up to 10% ethanol can hurt your mileage by around 10%.

What if you could get the same gas, but not get the crappy ethanol?

OH wait!! You can! lol Check out this site....
The stations that sell straight gas are starting to pop up around the country again, and i cant wait to see what it does to my mpg's!

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #41
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post
Seeing as this came up, as you know ethanol reduces fuel efficiency, so up to 10% ethanol can hurt your mileage by around 10%.
No, it doesn't equate to that at all. E10 gasoline has about 3.4% less energy per gallon than "pure" gasoline. That's about how much your mileage will drop.

"Pure" gasoline hasn't been around for a lot longer than the ~4 years since E10 became the standard. Before that, most gasoline sold in the U.S. had ~15% methyl t-butyl ether (MTBE) in it. There are a number of other oxygenates that were used, like TAME (t-amyl methyl ether), diisopropyl ether, isopropyl alcohol, t-butyl alcohol, methanol, etc. The market for them has really been hit hard by the mandates pushed through by the ethanol lobby. If you get the raw gasoline pumped through the pipelines before it's had the oxygenates added, you'll get something that's about 2-4 octane numbers lower than the ethanol blended stuff. That will make your engine retard its spark timing and run less efficiently.

There's a lot to criticize about growing corn to make motor fuel out of. But the "true believers" in the harmful effects of fuel ethanol are pretty much deluded.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #42
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We've been averaging 39 miles for both automatic YARIS as of lately . The warmer the weather the better the mileage . Tires set at 35 > 36 p.s.i..

Last edited by Hershey; 02-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #43
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
No, it doesn't equate to that at all. E10 gasoline has about 3.4% less energy per gallon than "pure" gasoline. That's about how much your mileage will drop.

"Pure" gasoline hasn't been around for a lot longer than the ~4 years since E10 became the standard. Before that, most gasoline sold in the U.S. had ~15% methyl t-butyl ether (MTBE) in it. There are a number of other oxygenates that were used, like TAME (t-amyl methyl ether), diisopropyl ether, isopropyl alcohol, t-butyl alcohol, methanol, etc. The market for them has really been hit hard by the mandates pushed through by the ethanol lobby. If you get the raw gasoline pumped through the pipelines before it's had the oxygenates added, you'll get something that's about 2-4 octane numbers lower than the ethanol blended stuff. That will make your engine retard its spark timing and run less efficiently.

There's a lot to criticize about growing corn to make motor fuel out of. But the "true believers" in the harmful effects of fuel ethanol are pretty much deluded.
Yes... pure gas is called RBOB Gasoline. It is oxygenated gas that uses different additives than ethanol. This is only what I use. Two mom/pop gas stations and one premium Shell station that sell this non-ethanol gas are left in my area. Only difference is when you buy Shell gas you get their proprietary detergents that they say helps clean your engine... 'Premium pure gas'.

From changing over to this gas there has been around 3-5% increase in my MPG's.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #44
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
must be nice .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #45
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Interesting, because my 2010 sedan does 38+ normally, 75 highway 25% city. I have got one tank at 40 and one at 41.4 mpg. Have my tires at 40 and I do 70-75 on the way to and from work. Heck, last weekend I went to a concert in St Louis and was running late. Did avg 80mph with the AC on and still did 38.8 for the trip there, around town driving while there and back to Columbia, Mo before I filled up. The rest of the trip home was around 75 and all week to and from work and that was my 41.4 tank. One thing I do notice is this car like Quick Trip gas much better than Philips 66. I mean a noticeable difference in mileage. 2-3 mpg! I had to gas up at Phillips in town this weekend and the gauge is 2 bars down at 120 miles which is not cool and I had one tank at 35mpg which was also Phillips. My Civic was just the opposite, it did better on Phillips than QT. Weird stuff......
I find it strange too since my previous car was a 95 Civic rated at 26 MPG. I achieved 33 MPG on average but was able to hit the 35 range on occasion and a few were in the 40s. On the other hand, my tires were one size up from the stock size, so my real MPG was probably lower.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #46
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
That is not too bad...

You will see a noticeable difference if you bring your speed down to 50 - 52 MPH. I try to keep my tach at around 2,000 - 2,100 RPM while driving. Manual shifts are at the 1,900 - 2,200 range.

If driving an auto... feather the gas pedal... accelerate really slow. Be aware of your surroundings well ahead of you. Coast to stop lights once you see it far ahead of you turn red. Take off very slow...

Use glides as much as possible when in gear (DFCO gliding) on hills or mountain long grades. I find hilly and mountain terrain to be better for FE then flat terrain.

Most of all stay consistent. Listen to your engine. Driving technique is everything in maximizing your FE...

Cheers!
Does the manual come with a tach? My auto doesn't have one but the Yaris seems to shift quietly, so it's not as easy to notice when the gears shift. On my Civic, 2nd gear was around 15 MPH, 3rd gear at 25 MPH, and 4th gear somewhere around 45-50 depending on how pressure I apply on the pedal.

Going from an old Civic to a Yaris, I noticed the gas pedal was more sensitive (in all new cars) in general. My commute is rather hilly.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #47
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
On the other hand, my tires were one size up from the stock size, so my real MPG was probably lower.
That would make your actual, corrected mileage a bit higher.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #48
Steve L.

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3 door
I average 35 MPG with an automatic.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #49
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i've gone through 4 tanks now in my new (to me) 07 sedan with automatic transmission. my average so far is 38.43 mpg.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #50
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i've gone through 4 tanks now in my new (to me) 07 sedan with automatic transmission. my average so far is 38.43 mpg.
TX has some ethanol-free gas stations to help you boost your MPG higher. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Old 07-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #51
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
Does the manual come with a tach? My auto doesn't have one but the Yaris seems to shift quietly, so it's not as easy to notice when the gears shift. On my Civic, 2nd gear was around 15 MPH, 3rd gear at 25 MPH, and 4th gear somewhere around 45-50 depending on how pressure I apply on the pedal.

Going from an old Civic to a Yaris, I noticed the gas pedal was more sensitive (in all new cars) in general. My commute is rather hilly.
My manual came with a tach! Probably an option with the package I bought? The other car on the lot was a base manual with no tach.

I shift in 3rd at around 23-25, 4th about 30-35, and 5th (cruising) about 38-40 :-) I generally keep my manual shifts at just under 2,000 RPM with hills and ramps slightly higher...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #52
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
So does everyone else have those "up to 10% ethanol" labels.
Federally mandated, as far as I know up here, and I believe you folks down south aren't too far behind us...

The main benefit to E10 is that it makes injector cleaners a thing of the past (they might even damage the injectors if they're already clean! )

Main drawback, is of course, the slightly lower gas mileage.

Depending on how many cold starts I'm doing, I'm averaging 35-36 MPG in the city, 40'ish MPG on pure highway (4dr. LB auto). Lately I've been doing these two mile jaunts to work, shut it down for a few days, come back from work, two mile jaunt, etc. I'm looking at the gas-gauge and I know the MPG is gonna be hurtin'. On the flipside, I'm down to half a tank, but my last fill-up was on July 9th.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #53
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I drive a manual 3-door, 2007 1.5ltr yaris HB.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #54
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Federally mandated, as far as I know up here, and I believe you folks down south aren't too far behind us...

The main benefit to E10 is that it makes injector cleaners a thing of the past (they might even damage the injectors if they're already clean! )

Main drawback, is of course, the slightly lower gas mileage.

Depending on how many cold starts I'm doing, I'm averaging 35-36 MPG in the city, 40'ish MPG on pure highway (4dr. LB auto). Lately I've been doing these two mile jaunts to work, shut it down for a few days, come back from work, two mile jaunt, etc. I'm looking at the gas-gauge and I know the MPG is gonna be hurtin'. On the flipside, I'm down to half a tank, but my last fill-up was on July 9th.
Ethanol is also known for condensation. Older vehicles and carburator vehicles have a rough time. The shelf life of ethanol is poor compared to MTBE.

Cheers!

Tags
automatic, manual, mpg