Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Transmission just died I think

Ok so great car, no major issues until yesterday.

Car is a 2008 Yaris sedan 1.5L Manual - no options
345,000km - all fluid changes performed as per toyota schedule

Drove to work yesterday, noticed nothing (85km drive), I left work yesterday, started driving and noticed a flapping sound, like something was caught in the wheel, stopped checked the car, couldn't see anything, kept driving, flapping noise went away around 3rd gear. As I was accelerating from 3rd to 4th I herd a whining sound, eased off the gas then back on and shifted to 5th, sound went away.
drove about 5 min, got up to 110km/h and I hear a noise like somebody was trying to murder a cat... or a serpentine belt slipping but really loud. I pulled off the highway as quick as I could. checked engine, couldn't see anything, serpentine belt was tight, no burning smell, nothing leaking.

started car, revved engine while in neutral with clutch disengaged, loud whining sound was there. revved engine with clutch engaged and no noise. at this point I was still able to shift gears. moved through gears as normal, clutch peddle still has normal pressure at this point. Attempted to shift into reverse and at this point lost control of gear selection.

With clutch engaged, not engaged, car running or car off, I can't cycle through the gears - doesn't matter what I do, shifter won't go left or right, seems like it could be in 3rd gear or neutral but can't tell.

took it to a mechanic my father trusts, they said they wouldn't charge me more than an hour to diagnose, they said based on what I told them, needs a new transmission.

My wife says junk the car due to age and KM's - I like it and want to keep it :)

How do i figure out if a 2014 yaris transmission will fit the 2008 ? I found one at a junk yard for $385 and only 45,000km on it.
or a 2008 with 100,000km on it for $215

I've done transmission swaps before (Subaru & Chev) just not on toyota.

I've had no major issues with this car until now and think it's still got life in it so i'm willing to put some money in even if my wife isn't lol.

sorry for the book, thanks in advance for any help.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I don't know if a 2014 Trans will fit but my guess is yes and the engine is the same and they're still 5 gear m/t's so I doubt toyota would have spent the time and cash to change the Trans for no reason.

If your engine isn't burning much oil then definitely just swap in the 100k km Trans for $215 and call it a day. My Echo which has driven is rough traffic most of its life has 370,000km and other than burning a bit of oil it runs fine.

I haven't done a Trans swap on a Yaris but i've read how to do it and it is pretty straight forward. Slap the new one on and you'll be good well into 400k km. O and obviously if the body of the car is rotted out then ya get a new car. But if it's in decent shape definitely keep the car and get a new trans
Old 02-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
As long as it isn't an Echo transmission it should fit. The Echo and Yaris use different shifting and mounting, so although it would bolt to the engine, it would't be usable. As far as I know things haven't changed for the Yaris badged cars.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i bet its the clutch
Old 02-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
wait, i re-read the symptoms....likely transmission, but id do the clutch/flywheel while you've got it apart.

id go for the cheaper transmission.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
I'd suggest to check the clutch first. Maybe something broke inside.

Was the car shifting bad before? Things I'd ask before swapping it. But also check the gearbox oil, it will tell you if its gone.

If its gone, just get a used one. I dont know if the 2014 fits though. I think the 06-11 use the same transmission but I cant confirm
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Vinceb

thanks all for the input, checked with the junk yard and they said yaris tranmissions are the same from 06-15, so i got the one with 107,000km on it for 250 and a clutch kit,new for 208. waiting for transmission to be delivered today i hope then get to it tomorrow morning.
there were no leading symptoms prior to the flapping noise 10 min before and the squeaking noise when i pulled off the highway. no issues shifting, fluids been changed a few times based on toyota servicing, every 64k i think.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In my experience a lunched tranny will have a lot of metal in the oil when drained and also a metallic sheen to the oil.

You might just have a bad clutch!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
Vinceb

got the first axel out of the transmission, fluid is clean and looks like new no crap in it, havent pulled the drain plug yet. cant upload my photos from phone right now cuz they are too large. we're about 2 hours in so far. both axels loose, one out battery, air box and other stuff on top side gone.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Vinceb

finally its out... made a few mistakes like trying to leave the drivers side motor mount on while removing. (had to remove the bracket from the transmission and from the enginebay, wasnt enough room to just disconnect the rubber bushing). the fork, throwout bearing, pressure plate fly wheel etc. all look in great condition for being an 08 and 345k.... 'new" transmission arrives tomorrow, couldnt get it on friday, and new clutch kit tomorrow also. will start the reassembly then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-02-07_16.12.07.jpg (418.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-07_16.12.48.jpg (418.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-07_16.13.22.jpg (470.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-07_16.13.32.jpg (394.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
bronsin

IS this is original clutch? Is this is 1st time the trannys been out of the car?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Thanks for sharing the pics and your experience. It helps for when I swap in a lightweight flywheel this summer.

It's not in too bad shape although it looks to have seen its fair share of salt and rough winters. Good thing you're installing a new clutch kit, that throw out bearing looks to have had it.

As a heads up I'd put some heavy duty marine grease on the clutch fork where it contacts all of pieces of metal. That tends ot be a source of some clutch squeak for many people who own these cars and it's extremely hard to lube that point with the trans installed fully.

I'd also wire wheel the fork and the inside and then spray it out with some brake cleaner.

I'm impressed with how well the clutch friction material looks after 345k km. I can't tell the depth but there seems to be a decent amount of pad left. The flywheel mating surface looks a bit glazed but with 345k km I don't even think it'd be worth resurfacing unless you can get it done locally for a cheap price.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
In my experience a lunched tranny will have a lot of metal in the oil when drained and also a metallic sheen to the oil.

You might just have a bad clutch!
i agree. i doubt it's the transmission, although you mentioned you can't seem to move the knob left or right, you might want to look at the physical joints, including the shift lever assembly and Tranny control cables.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
Vinceb

just a final update.
i was going to do a bunch more photos as i put the transmission back together but last week i got busy with work and didnt have time to work on the car. i got a text from my father telling me that he was bored so he put the tranny back in by himself :) then we had to wait for new axel seals from toyota, he picked those up and called me to say the car was done and running great :) so no photos of it going back together.... did i mention i have the best father ever? he taught me everything for car mechanics over the years. anyway. car running good, dad put a synthetic tranny oil in bur not sure which brand ( i had always run toyota up to this point). drove car home and to work, new clutch kit grabs instantly at the bottom (fully pressed in). shifts good, but of a rubbing when going into 5th and R but i think that may be something with a bushing inside the car seems to be there if driving or if parked. ill tear apart the old tranny some time i hope to see what the issue was. im at 340,000 km and the 'new' tranny is around 100,000. im headed for 500k . thanks for the suggestions and info.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You need to make an adjustment to the pushrod on the clutch pedal. Look up under there and you'll see it's threaded. Just lengthen it 1mm at a time and see where the clutch grabs. You don't want the clutch grabbing right at the bottom of the stroke as it can cause damage to the syncros if it's not totally disengaged when you're shifting.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
bronsin

Right.

And I suspect your rubbing in R and 5th has something to do with the shifter...not the tranny.

Tags
transmission