Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
eepp

Drives: Yaris 2008 RS
EVAP leak detected?

Lately, and more in the winter, when I start my Toyota Yaris 2008 HB's engine, there's a quite strong gas smell inside the car. It eventually goes away when on the road.

I have the following DTCs:

P043E Evap Leak Detection Reference Orifice Low
P043F Evap Leak Detection Reference Orifice High
P2401 EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low
P2402 EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High
P2419 Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

I remember to have been told by a mechanic that some gasket at some point in the exhaust system (I think, maybe it's another system) is broken and needs to be replaced.

Would you know which gasket he was talking about, considering the above symptoms?
eepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
He was probably taking about the "donut" gasket off of the exhaust manifold. Which is nothing to do with your problem. Once you get your EVAP system serviced, to avoid failure again, do not top off your tank when gassing up. Topping off causes many a failure of the EVAP system.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
eepp

Hmm I might have done this in the past, yes.

I also sometimes fill the tank while the engine is running. Is this bad practice?

What do you think IS the EVAP issue here? I know this has many components and pipes, but how topping off could cause a permanent issue like a leak?

If I get this donut gasket fixed, what's the problem with having an EVAP leak, except for pollution?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepp View Post
Hmm I might have done this in the past, yes.

I also sometimes fill the tank while the engine is running. Is this bad practice?

What do you think IS the EVAP issue here? I know this has many components and pipes, but how topping off could cause a permanent issue like a leak?

If I get this donut gasket fixed, what's the problem with having an EVAP leak, except for pollution?
I believe most cities it is illegal to gas with the engine running. Not sure of the fire risk but apparently there must be some.
As far as you EVAP failure, it will cause worst mileage which may clog your Catalytic converter which are quite expensive. The reason topping off is bad as it floods your EVAP system.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The gas smell in the cabin is likely caused by the doughnut gasket after the exhaust manifold.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
The EVAP system is about emissions control. Stopping hydrocarbon vapors from getting released into the atmosphere. It stores the fuel vapors from the petrol tank in a charcoal canister. When the vehicle is running periodically the solenoid valves in the system will open and the vapors will be drawn down the lines from the canister into the intake manifold and burnt off in the engine. If you can smell vapors in the cabin like that your vehicle might be running a little rich. Might be an idea to get it sorted. Also i don't know about the law on vehicle inspections in Quebec but it would probably fail its MOT on emissions here in the UK with those sort of issues.

The doughnut gasket on your exhaust is a fairly common issue on the Yaris. I replaced the one on my cousins Yaris last year. I managed to get an aftermarket doughnut for about £7.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
eepp

I read on other threads that aftermarket donut gaskets won't fit and that I should get one from Toyota.

Is this true? What parameter should I check when looking for the part?

Could all those EVAP DTCs exist because my fuel tank cap is bad somehow?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I have a genuine Toyota one in my exhaust because the exhaust is OEM. I used an aftermarket one on my cousins car because it had a rusty aftermarket exhaust on.

If the fault was due to a loose petrol cap the car would probably set either:

P0442 - EVAP small leak detected
P0445 - EVAP large leak detected

Your codes seem to relate to circuit faults detected in the system. Could be anything from a bad solenoid valve, an actual circuit fault like bad wiring or corrosion in a wiring connector or a fault with the ECU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk