Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Redline MT90

With 22,000+ on the odometer, I was hoping the transmission would have loosened up a bit. Shifting was notchy and finding reverse was always a chore. Shifting when the trans was cold always sucked for the first few miles.

So, I decided to swap out the trans oil with some Redline MT90. Shifting is still notchy, but not as bad. I can find reverse with a lot less effort. Shifting when cold has dramatically improved. Redline has not been a miracle cure, but it did help.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
It is really too bad that the 75-90 weight transmission oil is so expensive. I have used Redline, Royal Purple, and AMSOIL. Personally I have found that AMSOIL and RP gave me the best results. For me it was honestly a toss up between them. I naturally would suggest AMSOIL over RP, but that is because of my love for the AMSOIL products, but the RP would not be a mistake either. Not sure if you would even be interested in spending the extra coin to change again. Regardless I am curious...did you use any type of transmission flush product prior to changing out the fluid? This can and normally will make a really big difference. Also ensuring that you have the correct quantity of fluid as well due to pressures in the system.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
I tried Royal Purple first, then switched to Redline. I liked the Redline better. Always wanted to try Amsoil (as I use their oil), but I haven't had the chance yet. Maybe next time.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Necrosis View Post
With 22,000+ on the odometer, I was hoping the transmission would have loosened up a bit. Shifting was notchy and finding reverse was always a chore. Shifting when the trans was cold always sucked for the first few miles.

So, I decided to swap out the trans oil with some Redline MT90. Shifting is still notchy, but not as bad. I can find reverse with a lot less effort. Shifting when cold has dramatically improved. Redline has not been a miracle cure, but it did help.
Redline might take a while to smooth the shift? Not sure.

My Yari is running redline with Nulon gear treatment. It's shifting like knife through butter lately i kid, i kid LOL.OK!!It's shifting well enough that I am happy with it. When I first put it in i noticed an improvement. But it was still notchy like you said but after awhile it's smoother.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
It is really too bad that the 75-90 weight transmission oil is so expensive. I have used Redline, Royal Purple, and AMSOIL. Personally I have found that AMSOIL and RP gave me the best results. For me it was honestly a toss up between them. I naturally would suggest AMSOIL over RP, but that is because of my love for the AMSOIL products, but the RP would not be a mistake either. Not sure if you would even be interested in spending the extra coin to change again. Regardless I am curious...did you use any type of transmission flush product prior to changing out the fluid? This can and normally will make a really big difference. Also ensuring that you have the correct quantity of fluid as well due to pressures in the system.

Flushing the a manual transmission is a new one on me. Are there any online resources for doing this? I drained the oil and let it drain until it stopped dripping, then refilled to the oil came out of the fill plug.

Royal Purple never really caught my interest. I have friends that swear by Royal Purple products. When cleaning parts coated with RP lubes, nothing ever seems to get all the lube completely off the parts. Parts feel greasy and slimy even after cleaned with heavy duty cleaners. Maybe the solvents in my assortment aren't the correct stuff for the job. Not being able to get parts 100% clean creeps me out.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote