Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Onwrdigo

Drives: Yaris LE 4-Door
Side Blinker Customization Add-On ??

Over in Europe, the third generation has side blinker repeaters in the side mirror housings. But over here in America, nothing. Even the 2nd Generation American Yaris's had a little white roundish blinker mounted in the front quarter panel.

Has anyone added anything like this to their third generation? Also, my neighbor across the street (big gear head, always working on his friends cars) looked at mine and thought about:

Wiring the "front side marker light" to be a "repeater" with the blinker switch whether or not your regular light switch is on or off....If you have your lights on, it would then just start to blink on and off when you use your turn signal. When lights are off, it would just simply light up blinking with the other blinkers. He says it looks like a pretty simple procedure by either splicing into the front parking/turn signal lamp wires to get it to repeat with the blinker or adding some kind of simple gizmo (I forgot what he said) to make it work. He was impressed with how everything is right there easily accessible to do it....he saw something on a Tundra Forum where a guy did it to his truck.

I am just kinda worried about it messing with something else in the electronics, but he feels that would not be an issue and he could do it where it looks "factory done" and my Toyota Service department would not even notice.

I would like to have it because it "is" a great safety feature when you are on a multi-lane interstate and changing lanes with other cars around you who cannot see your front or back blinkers on.

Thoughts??

Thanks,

O.
Onwrdigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
If you want to add lights on the quarter panel, you'd have to punch a hole into the metal or you can go the cheap/easy install of adding something like an LED strip. Either way, if you want the function of both, the parking lights and turn signal, an addition of a (SPDT) relay or harnesses for trailers for the dual function would work.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
the 2nd gen yaris could borrow the blinking side mirrors from other models (Scion TC2, Scion XB2, Scion XB, Corolla, etc) whereas the 3rd gen yaris doesnt yet. You could wait for a junker 2014 corolla (same part) in a few years, or import them from japan for anywhere from 250-500 dollars, and wire up to your blinkers.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote