Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
bteygabroat

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Question DVD/Navagation System Receiver - Parking Brake Wire???

Hello,
I just installed a new receiver in my car which is a navigation system, DVD player, as well as the usual stuff that comes on them. It was installed in a 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan. Everything went as expected, but the directions to connect the pink parking brake wire is confusing. You have to have the parking brake wire attached to the "parking brake circuit" or you will not be able to view video on the player. Can anyone tell me where the heck I can find this circuit so I can complete this? Thanks.
bteygabroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
isra

Drives: 2007 Yaris hb
if u conect it to the parcking brake wire u wont be able to use the dvd while driving in my case I just grounded the wire and it works perfect
Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
bteygabroat

Yeah....I tried that with no luck. It says it has to be connected to the parking brake circuit. Anyone?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
isra

Drives: 2007 Yaris hb
u can also try instead of always grounded with the stereo on touch a grounding point in ur car for a few seconds and then release it if it works u only need to put it on any switch from any parts store thats how i got a newer head unit to work
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is a one pin connector on the base of the parking brake lever, but as mentioned, a switch to ground lets you use it at will.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
bteygabroat

Do you have a picture of what you are referring to? I have no idea where to put this wire. I tried the above method and just put it to a ground, but it didn't work. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bteygabroat View Post
Do you have a picture of what you are referring to? I have no idea where to put this wire. I tried the above method and just put it to a ground, but it didn't work. Thanks.
I bet that yours needs to see the transition from 12V to ground as opposed to floating to ground. In that case, you'd need a single pole dual throw switch to switch between +12 and ground.

As for the ebrake wire, instead of popping the center console to get at the connector, you can tap the other end of the wire at the under-dash fuse panel (behind the change cup by the driver's left knee). It's the yellow wire in pin 2 of connector 4C:

Fuse Box.jpg
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I bet that yours needs to see the transition from 12V to ground as opposed to floating to ground. In that case, you'd need a single pole dual throw switch to switch between +12 and ground.

As for the ebrake wire, instead of popping the center console to get at the connector, you can tap the other end of the wire at the under-dash fuse panel (behind the change cup by the driver's left knee). It's the yellow wire in pin 2 of connector 4C:

Attachment 42888
Figured I would revive this old thread. I'm getting ready to install a JVC head unit in my daughter's '10 Yaris. I DO NOT want her to have access to the DVD function while driving. So I will be hooking up the parking brake sensor wire the correct way.

So Scott...my question for you is...this yellow wire...is that a negative signal? The installation instructions only say to connect to the parking brake sensor. They don't mention whether that needs to be a positive or negative. Looks like the majority of head units require a ground. I'm guessing the yellow wire is negative when the parking brake is engaged

I plan to check it. But just thought I would ask you as well. Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #9
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Figured I would revive this old thread. I'm getting ready to install a JVC head unit in my daughter's '10 Yaris. I DO NOT want her to have access to the DVD function while driving. So I will be hooking up the parking brake sensor wire the correct way.

So Scott...my question for you is...this yellow wire...is that a negative signal? The installation instructions only say to connect to the parking brake sensor. They don't mention whether that needs to be a positive or negative. Looks like the majority of head units require a ground. I'm guessing the yellow wire is negative when the parking brake is engaged

I plan to check it. But just thought I would ask you as well. Thanks
Disregard this post. Installed the HU without issue. The yellow parking brake signal wire is indeed a ground...and is what the HU is looking for when in video mode.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #10
Billiam

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1547876576830535.jpg (29.7 KB, 124 views)