Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Installed TRD Swaybar Today

The bar has been sitting around my dining room for a couple months now and since it was relatively warm today, I thought I'd throw it on. Unfortunately, it will be a couple more months before I can experience the handling improvement.

The installation was a snap. The shock bolts came off fairly easily with my electric impact gun, largely due to the rustproofing that I do regularly. I did blast the bolts with some ReleasAll about 1/2 hour before. This bar could easily have been installed with the wheels on as mentioned in another post, but I thought I'd take them off anyway.

Bolts removed:

Got this tip from another post. Install back bolts first, then roll the bar forward into position and install the front bolts. Makes for a very easy install:

Lots of antiseize.

I dropped the torque of 36 and 40 ft/lbs a touch to compensate for the antiseize:

Wheels back on:

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-16-2019 at 08:43 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Nicely done, now to wait around for spring to test it out...
Old 02-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Nicely done, now to wait around for spring to test it out...
Haha, yeah. Gonna be tough to wait. But, it does give me time if I decide to do another project.

Looking at your sig pic, it looks like you did eventually install the engine stay. Also, catch can setup looks great.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Good you have time for rustproofing. My sway bar is pretty much all rusted now :)

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Good you have time for rustproofing. My sway bar is pretty much all rusted now :)

Yes, rustproofing ranks high on my maintenance list.

I thought about painting the swaybar black but pretty sure primer and paint doesn't really adhere well to powder coat. When it does get chipper and start to show early signs of rust, I will paint it in a nice satin black.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yes, rustproofing ranks high on my maintenance list.

I thought about painting the swaybar black but pretty sure primer and paint doesn't really adhere well to powder coat. When it does get chipper and start to show early signs of rust, I will paint it in a nice satin black.
Wanna trade with mine? It's probably not red anymore lol

Old 02-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Wanna trade with mine? It's probably not red anymore lol

Sure, why not. Paint would probably stick to yours better.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #8
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Haha, yeah. Gonna be tough to wait. But, it does give me time if I decide to do another project.

Looking at your sig pic, it looks like you did eventually install the engine stay. Also, catch can setup looks great.
That is an old pic, I have a much cleaner and proper occ now. I'll update my pic but the engine bay is no where near that clean anymore...
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
That is an old pic, I have a much cleaner and proper occ now. I'll update my pic but the engine bay is no where near that clean anymore...
Look forward to seeing it.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #10
bluefever00

Drives: 2008 Sedan
Pardon the newb question, but did the yaris come with a rear sway bar from the factory? I haven't looked under mine and it's dark right now. If so, is it larger than the original?
bluefever00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #11
tmontague

No it doesnt. The rear suspension is an H beam design which is a semi independant system. A rsb actually makes it act more like a solid axle fully non independant suspension. It will feel more solid on the highway and slightly increase oversteer but when pushed to its limit the rsb will actually become detrimental to grip
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
Tskm2

Drives: Yaris hatchback 06
From where you buy? Direct from dealer?
Tskm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskm2 View Post
From where you buy? Direct from dealer?
I shopped around for a while for the best price. I bought it from a Toyota dealer in California, iirc.