Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #109
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Interesting...

The answer to this question, and almost every other pulley related question, can be found in the following thread...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=4737&page=12

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #110
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Trying to get this OEM pulley off is a pain in the butt, especially since I don't have the proper tools. I think I will put this mod off for a few days until I find someone who will loan me an air/electric impact wrench. The pulley keeps rotating as I try to loosen the middle bolt. I gave up for the night and left everything laying out in my garage. I'm also doing a DIY custom axleback exhaust, so my car is pretty much incapacitated at the moment.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #111
posaunemeister

Nothing is going right, it seems. I've decided to just take the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler to the exhaust shop early in the morning to have them weld it on. I went by the common misconception on this forum that our stock exhaust axleback tubing is 1.75", so I purchased a few adapters and clamps for my muffler, went home, cut off the stock muffler and tried to pair the parts together to no avail. It turns out that the axleback exhaust actually measures 1.5" ID (no kidding). Since the space for the muffler is so limited, I decided to not try to make several adapters AND a muffler fill in that space. It just wouldn't make sense. I should've just gone to the exhaust shop in the first place AND I should've measured the exhaust tubing on my own before undertaking this project. You live and you learn. So, I will get up early in the morning and get this taken care of. I feel sorry for those who will be woke up by the blaring sound of my muffler-less exhaust...

Anyway, I'm going to replicate this custom axleback: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9520 , except I will paint my entire axleback with three coats of high gloss ceramic black spray paint to help retard the rusting, as I live in an area that gets a lot of snow in the winter. Thanks for the inspiration, Largeorangefont.

I also realized that Dynomax makes both their Super Turbo brand mufflers and the Thrush Turbo mufflers and they are pretty much identical in every aspect. They are both aluminized and the locks are spun (not welded). They have identical dimensions. The only difference that I noticed (besides the brand name logo) is that the Dynomax was about one pound (.45 kgs) heavier than the Thrush Turbo, perhaps due to more fiberglass packing or an extra internal wall (?).

On a lighter side, I put out an ad on Craigslist seeking for someone to loan me their electric impact wrench and a kind gentleman quickly responded and doesn't want anything! Of course, I will repay him somehow anyway. But yeah, he has both an electric and the air-compressed variety, as well as a slew of other tools. I have to travel 20min, but I'm sure it will be well worth it. I will post the outcome on here when all is complete.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #112
rhino5

Drives: '08 hatchback, '90 325i 'e30'
So....where did the beginning of this thread get moved to? My pulley will be here tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out...but it'd be nice to have a reference.
rhino5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #113
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
So....where did the beginning of this thread get moved to? My pulley will be here tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out...but it'd be nice to have a reference.
I would guess it's been moved to the MicroImage forum, though I haven't checked. It's a shame Charles had to remove all of his DIY's for spite.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #114
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I would guess it's been moved to the MicroImage forum, though I haven't checked. It's a shame Charles had to remove all of his DIY's for spite.
Yes, it is on the MI forum. I went there this past Wednesday to walk myself through a NST 10% UDP.

It is a very simple DIY, especially if you have an impact wrench to remove the crank bolt. That is the only potential difficult step if you need to rely on breaker bars to loosen that sucker.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #115
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Wow...if this forum fight is going to continue, I think it will kill both of them. Definitely a turn-off for me.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #116
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Wow...if this forum fight is going to continue, I think it will kill both of them. Definitely a turn-off for me.
+1

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #117
posaunemeister

I just installed mine and I definitely notice a huge difference. The RPMs take off in 1st gear. Before you can even blink your eyes, it's already time to shift to 2nd. The engine is significantly more responsive and the initial take-offs are cleaner & peppy. When you get into the upper mph's, the feels like it works a lot less. It's a different that you, too, will notice.

You will need a torque wrench and an impact gun. I put an ad out on craigslist seeing if someone would rent theirs out to me and I asked if I could do the work in their driveway (makes them more willing to let strangers use their multi-hundred dollar tools). A very kind gentleman, who does his own repair work and works for a wrecker company, let me use all of the tools that I needed, free of charge. I rewarded him handsomely, nevertheless, because I was so taken back by his act of kindness. I love meeting good people like that. He even offered to mount n' balance my wheels if I ever decided to get a set of aftermarket wheels! OK, anyway, It took a total of 45-50min for the install, just like Charles said. It wasn't easy, though. It was actually a huge pain, specifically loosening the lower alternator bolt, even with the long 14mm hand wrench. The upper 12mm bolt on the banana bracket was a breeze to loosen. In order to get the correct tension on your belt after the install, I recommend using a long pry-bar to get the belt at the correct tension and then tighten the upper alternator bolt (easier access), and then the lower bolt. This may require an extra hand.

Btw, I did purchase my pulley from Garm at MicroImage. He shipped it off via USPS Priority Mail and it arrived shortly after. It was an easy transaction with no hassles, and the price was the cheapest I could find online. Thanks, man!

Last edited by posaunemeister; 09-12-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #118
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
WTF chino.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #119
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
chino iz ghey
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #120
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
chino iz ghey
lol

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #121
cfbrodierice

Drives: Toyota Luxxy, soon a Yaris. DD
Hello all, I am brand new to the forum. I work on landcruisers and such. I am thinking of buying a yaris for a commuter. Just one thing to say about a lightweight crank pulley... and just my .02....
There is a reason it has a certain weight, so that any vibration in the crank is partially absorbed through the harmonic balancer. you change over to a lightweight and solid pulley and it no longer can do it's job. Ya your engine accels faster, but long term it could make your main bearings wear out faster....
cfbrodierice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #122
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbrodierice View Post
Hello all, I am brand new to the forum. I work on landcruisers and such. I am thinking of buying a yaris for a commuter. Just one thing to say about a lightweight crank pulley... and just my .02....
There is a reason it has a certain weight, so that any vibration in the crank is partially absorbed through the harmonic balancer. you change over to a lightweight and solid pulley and it no longer can do it's job. Ya your engine accels faster, but long term it could make your main bearings wear out faster....
I'm an automotive engineer abd what he is saying is true, going to these aftermarket pulleys is turning your 400k+ potential Yaris into a throwaway car, might as well buy a kia.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote