Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Yaris vs VW Rabbit

Yaris vs VW Rabbit, pros and cons?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Rabbit - con - its a vw

/thread
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
lol, well besides that
Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
What year and what mods? ;)
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
I thought about getting a Wabbit before.

One obvious con would be the cost of ownership over the life of the car.

Compared to the Yaris you're looking at higher initial purchase price, much higher fuel costs (22/30 MPG), higher insurance, and so on. Over the life of the car these things really add up.

Obvious pros over the Yaris would be performance related. 60+ more horsepower, stock turbo, better suspension, etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Not really a fair comparison - the Rabbit is a larger car. Rabbit vs. Matrix would be more reasonable.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHatch08 View Post
I thought about getting a Wabbit before.

One obvious con would be the cost of ownership over the life of the car.

Compared to the Yaris you're looking at higher initial purchase price, much higher fuel costs (22/30 MPG), higher insurance, and so on. Over the life of the car these things really add up.

Obvious pros over the Yaris would be performance related. 60+ more horsepower, stock turbo, better suspension, etc.
This nails it. I considered the Rabbit but for the above-listed reasons went with the Yaris. I just came off ten years with a Passat, and had another one for about the same length of time, and love VWs; but since I was basically looking for a commuter car with a little style the Yaris won hands down.

And I've been extremely happy with the decision ever since. That doesn't mean the Rabbit isn't a great car, but for the money I think the Yaris was a wiser investment...

Cheers! M2
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
if I could afford a rabbit, I would gladly take it over my yaris.

but, since I cant afford one, I am more than happy with my lil' rollerskate.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
I was really disappointed that the new rabbit became a sports car, instead of an economy car. Old rabbits rocked.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
just a small tid bit on the cost of ownership.. the rabbit/golf 2.5 recommend synthetic oil and the oil filter alone cost something like 16 dollars. My brother has a jetta 2.5 and was blown away by the ownership costs.. I'll keep my yaris anyday over something like that.
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The Germans have a long tradition of requiring special maintenance procedures and tools that effectively discourage DIY and neighborhood mechanics from maintaining and repairing them. The old air cooled Beetles were easy to work on, but far from trouble free.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
thats why they lost WW2,
ya THAT's why. Nothing about invading russia in winter or atomic bombs.. lol
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The Germans invaded Russia in the summer, but expected they'd roll right over them in a matter of weeks. They weren't prepared for the battle to last into the winter.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
VW makes cars that are well-designed, drive well and are very safe. Despite reports that claim improved reliability, though, I still wouldn't put VW at the same level as Toyota. When I owned a VW, the car required several visits to the dealer to fix well-known reliability issues. I also found that the VW dealers I dealt with were not as interested in after-sale service as Toyota dealers.

VW has passionate followers, and I certainly understand this when driving dynamics are considered. For reliable, low-cost ownership, though, I would recommend a Yaris over a Golf/Rabbit any day.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
Wowzers78

Drives: 2007 Silver 3dr hatch
Quote:
thats why they lost WW2, they made too many overengineered overly complex and sophisticated marvels to effectively sustain their efforts. I love their engineering but when you have to take the whole front end just to change the accessory belt (see Audi) its a bit problematic.
LMAO...you have to take the whole front end off the yaris to change the flippin headlight bulb! And definately an interesting take on WW2

I've driven a rabbit and they're really fun, but as has been stated also really expensive. Couldn't say I'd ever want to own one, but that's me...Something about driving a car named Rabbit is just a complete boner shrinker.

I would stay far away from a GTI though. My best friend had one 2 years ago and went through 2 engines, and one of my customers has had his for 1.5 and already gone through 3 engines. Granted all these ridiculous repairs were covered under VW warranty, which is a very good warranty, but if you depend on your car for literally anything its a deal breaker. Not to mention the resale value on them once they're out of warranty!!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowzers78 View Post
LMAO...you have to take the whole front end off the yaris to change the flippin headlight bulb! And definately an interesting take on WW2

I've driven a rabbit and they're really fun, but as has been stated also really expensive. Couldn't say I'd ever want to own one, but that's me...Something about driving a car named Rabbit is just a complete boner shrinker.

I would stay far away from a GTI though. My best friend had one 2 years ago and went through 2 engines, and one of my customers has had his for 1.5 and already gone through 3 engines. Granted all these ridiculous repairs were covered under VW warranty, which is a very good warranty, but if you depend on your car for literally anything its a deal breaker. Not to mention the resale value on them once they're out of warranty!!

when he says front end he means more than the bumper cover/skin...

to change some of the engine bay components on some vw/bmw/skoda/audi/seat etc. cars the radiator bracket/brace the bumper the absorbers, the condensor unit until all you see is the engine and the steering rack in front of you....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
thats why they lost WW2, they made too many overengineered overly complex and sophisticated marvels to effectively sustain their efforts. I love their engineering but when you have to take the whole front end just to change the accessory belt (see Audi) its a bit problematic.

Negative......Russia was their and everyone elses downfall.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Cost of VW regular maintenance and often needed repairs is bloody outrageous, and long-term reliability is dismal.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote