Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
pbolden

Drives: 5 door
yaris automatic transmission lag

Hello Everyone,

I hope I'm not repeating a previously ask question. I have an '09, 4 door hatchback. I've noticed a slight lag and slight raving sound when the car goes from first to second. Again this is very slight but noticiable. In other cars it would suggest that the car is a little low on trans. fluid. Is this normal for this vehicle? Has anyone else noticed this or should I be taking a ride to the dealership?

Thanks,
Paul
pbolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My wife's '07 seems to do the same. I believe it may have to do with the shift points programmed in the computer. I imagine the 1-2 shift is set for a pretty high rpm in order to get the most torque possible out of the little 1.5 engine and keep you from getting squashed while pulling out into traffic.
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Pick up the NST Lite-Crank pulley and it will help. Will also eliminate "gear hunting" up hills.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
When the engine is cold the up shift is delayed a little. After the engine is warmed, it goes away. If you experience the problems after the engine is completely warmed, then you should see the dealer.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I don't recall experienced that kind of "lag" with my automatic. I do remember the tranny getting smoother and smoother as I chalked up the miles... until shifts eventually became almost imperceptible. The automatic transmission is a brilliant piece of work that performs extremely well in this little car. I would suggest that if you're having concerns, bring your car into the service department at your dealer and have it checked out.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
pbolden

Drives: 5 door
yaris automatic transmission lag

Thanks for the responses everyone!!!
pbolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
As Kimona say, mine got smoother and smoother too.
Both of my Yarii had rough shifting from 1st to 2nd compared to 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
After about 2k-3k, I noticed it was smoother.
It's at 4.5k now and 1st to 2nd is as smooth as 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
The only thing that bothers me is the raving sounds because mine did not make any noise.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbolden View Post
Hello Everyone,

I hope I'm not repeating a previously ask question. I have an '09, 4 door hatchback. I've noticed a slight lag and slight raving sound when the car goes from first to second. Again this is very slight but noticiable. In other cars it would suggest that the car is a little low on trans. fluid. Is this normal for this vehicle? Has anyone else noticed this or should I be taking a ride to the dealership?

Thanks,
Paul
Yeah, my 2008 AT will sometimes SEEM like the AT is going south.

I've had three GM products die on me, two THD 350s and a THD200R4. It's a sickening feeling to discover that you're going to be paying some money before long because of a failing tranny.

The biggest difference between my Yaris AT and a dying AT is that I don't have to hammer the car to make it go from a standing start. When you have a dying AT the clutches slip a lot and will sometimes hesitate to lock for half a second or more before the tranny begins to engadge. This effect can also be caused by a clogged filter or low (or too high) fluid levels but in my experience more often happens in old trannies that are saying goodbye.

I've noticed some flare when the car is coasting and passes a shift point. I am not sure what is going on.

The fluid looks fine to me.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote