Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Yaris Hybrid?

Any word on the next gen Yaris getting the Hybrid Synergy Drive? I seem to recall there were rumours of a Yaris getting the Hybrid option around the 2012 model.

Gotta say that would be a killer option to pull me towards a new one. Right now the Honda Insight and Honda Fit Hybrid (if it makes it to North America) have me quite interested. The Prius is more expensive and larger than I want.

The Prius is rated at 3.8L/100km by Toyota Canada... a Yaris getting 2-3K/100km would be AMAZING!
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
From what I've heard no. But they will make a smaller Prius I believe but not yaris small. I'm just speculating. I know they want to expand the Prius line up. But I don't think the new Yaris (new Vitz that just came out) is set up for a hybrid powertrain. Plus if they did the price will go up.

So the short end of it, no unless you hear something officially from Toyota. I think they might wait and see how the FIT hybrid does. Then again Honda's hybrid system is not a true hybrid system, its a mild-hybrid. But I don't know about the FIT's system.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I don't think the additional cost would make for many buyers. You would almost be at the price point of a Prius so why bother.

The advantage of a Yaris is the cost is $6k less than a Prius.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
From what I've heard no. But they will make a smaller Prius I believe but not yaris small. I'm just speculating. I know they want to expand the Prius line up. But I don't think the new Yaris (new Vitz that just came out) is set up for a hybrid powertrain. Plus if they did the price will go up.

So the short end of it, no unless you hear something officially from Toyota. I think they might wait and see how the FIT hybrid does. Then again Honda's hybrid system is not a true hybrid system, its a mild-hybrid. But I don't know about the FIT's system.
The Fit Hybrid uses the same mild hybrid system as the Insight. But that doesn't matter to me if the cost is less to make up for it.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
here in Slovakia you can buy Auris Hybrid with the same technology that prius has but in the smaller car ;) do not know if Auris is offered in US but the size is the same as VW Golf ;) millage is the same as prius 3.8L which is good :)
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Bushido
Toyota Deutschland

Drives: Yaris 1.33 Sport 09
Well Here in germany they Said a Yaris Hybrid Would Come out...
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry33 View Post
here in Slovakia you can buy Auris Hybrid with the same technology that prius has but in the smaller car ;) do not know if Auris is offered in US but the size is the same as VW Golf ;) millage is the same as prius 3.8L which is good :)
No they don't have the Auris in the U.S. They have an Americanized version (bigger), the Matrix which is NA only from my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
The Fit Hybrid uses the same mild hybrid system as the Insight. But that doesn't matter to me if the cost is less to make up for it.
True. But would there be any real gain? How long will it take to recoup the costs. What's the premium to pay for the gain in mpg? I guess I'm sceptical about the FITs gain in mpg with Honda's version of the hybrid. I have no doub it will gain but does the price (even if its cheaper than the Insight or Prius) outweigh it to the point of becoming a moot point.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Looks like the Honda Jazz/Fit Hybrid wont be coming to the US anytime soon so there is little motivation for a Toyota Yaris Hybrid to make it here either. Until gas prices really rise in a big way most Americans will ignore super fuel efficient micro cars. Why drive a tin can around when you can drive a room? Personally I prefer driving an ultra low emission hatchback vehicle that is versatile, reliable and affordable, but in this culture I'm a largely invisible eccentric.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
The first teaser pic of the Yaris Hybrid has emerged... And I have to say, from this angle it looks damn good.

http://www.motorward.com/2011/02/toy...-geneva-debut/

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
HERE AS WELL:http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-yaris-hybrid.html

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
Considering that it is going to be built at FRP, what are the chances of it actually being brought to the US?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Considering that it is going to be built at FRP, what are the chances of it actually being brought to the US?
SLIM TO NONE as they say its for EUROPEAN consumption.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
Jochen

Drives: Yaris D-4D
If everything is as good looking as the front, I might buy one of those
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
rikiya
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Magnetic Grey Metallic RS
Considering the Honda Fit Hybrid beat the Prius in sales in Japan (for January)... Maybe Toyota will scramble to get together a Yaris Hybrid out soon, at least in Japan?

Under $20,000 and over 50mpg for the Fit Hybrid. Cheap!
rikiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Yar15

Drives: none
Any information about its consumption? Prius is 3,9 l/100 km, so it's maybe less.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Reebirt
Yota

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door Hatchback
I am told there will not be a yaris hybrid in canada any time soon,
but Prius C is coming out.
http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/fr/toy...le-221599.aspx
Although I have read that yaris hybrid is on it's way. No word of when.
Decent price for Prius, good warranty. Lots of gadgets.
Reebirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Any word on the next gen Yaris getting the Hybrid Synergy Drive? I seem to recall there were rumours of a Yaris getting the Hybrid option around the 2012 model.

Gotta say that would be a killer option to pull me towards a new one. Right now the Honda Insight and Honda Fit Hybrid (if it makes it to North America) have me quite interested. The Prius is more expensive and larger than I want.

The Prius is rated at 3.8L/100km by Toyota Canada... a Yaris getting 2-3K/100km would be AMAZING!
i posted this in the other hybrid thread, looks like everyone is getting one, but north america is always left out, so who knows.
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...risHSD-landing
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote