Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Stock Head Unit + watts

Hey everyone. I want to get some new speakers and possibly a sub depending on what speakers I get.

I'm just wondering what the wattage output is on the stock head unit.

I'm assuming it's pretty low per channel..like 60 watts but I'm just guessing.

I wanna get some new speakers and most say that optimal wattage is 150+ watts so I don't think the stock unit will provide enough power.

Is it possible to keep the stock head unit and just get an Amp + speakers because I'd rather not buy a deck too, the stock one looks fine.

When it comes to car audio I'm a total newb though I'm planning on doing the install myself you can't learn anything unless you try it yourself. so.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
theres no way its anywhere close to 60 watts.....the stock deck probably puts out about 10 watts....

aftermarket decks put about 18-25....

anything more than that and you need an external amplifier......50-60 watts rms per channel is probably more than enough for the yaris(small car).....

I have an alpine 4 channel that puts out 50w rms per channel and i do wish i had a tad more(better to have too much and tone it down, than to not have enough)but it will work out fine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
Hey everyone. I want to get some new speakers and possibly a sub depending on what speakers I get.

I'm just wondering what the wattage output is on the stock head unit.

I'm assuming it's pretty low per channel..like 60 watts but I'm just guessing.

I wanna get some new speakers and most say that optimal wattage is 150+ watts so I don't think the stock unit will provide enough power.

Is it possible to keep the stock head unit and just get an Amp + speakers because I'd rather not buy a deck too, the stock one looks fine.

When it comes to car audio I'm a total newb though I'm planning on doing the install myself you can't learn anything unless you try it yourself. so.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
ok then in that case I'd rather get an amp and hook it up to the stock head unit to provide more power for aftermarket speakers.

Is it possible or does the stock head unit not have any place to connect an amp?

I'd like to keep costs as low as possible so I'd rather not buy a separate deck if I dont need to because they can get pretty expensive.

and I'll probably be looking on eBay instead of retail as well. I live in Canada and our dollar conversion to US is pretty high right now so it's good time to buy.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
use the search feature, this topic has been discussed!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
flint_mica_manual

Drives: S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
If you're going to keep the stock unit, what you want to look for in a speaker is sensitivity. That is if you want decent volume. You can spend 1000 bucks on speakers, but if they have low sensitivity they won't be very loud -- and you'll overdrive them and damage stuff.

Car audio is goofy in it's numbers and specs. Wattage doesn't mean much. You can go deaf with 1 watt if you have high sensitivity speakers, and most of the terminology in car speakers and systems is nonsense.

If you're a noob, I recommend you spend a night reading:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm

There's some really good info in there.
flint_mica_manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
yea theres tons of things to look for when buying a speaker...
power handling, sensitivity, frequency response..........the higher the db rating the less power you have to run to get the volume/clarity you want.....

a speaker that has a 93 db vs. a speaker that has a 91 db rating, will play a lil louder/clearer.......
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
raybob

Drives: Red Hatchback
Anyone have any experience with this amplifier?

http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/prod...ductID=4694342

It's a 4-channel, 55watts rms each, for under $100.
raybob is offline   Reply With Quote