Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
Oned

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
i could make an auxiliary input jack that would connect to the grey plug i posted a picture of above? Lol im not sure how
Oned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oned View Post
i could make an auxiliary input jack that would connect to the grey plug i posted a picture of above? Lol im not sure how
It would require soldering wires from the connector's wires (either clipping the wires from the connector or splicing to them) to the terminals on the jack.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Oned

Lol its crazy how toyota can charge Dave 30 dollars for practically the same item they are charging me 104 dollars. Its a piece of plastic with a wire all together probably cost 1 dollar to make. The question is, is the grey plug i found connected to my stereo.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
Oned

Yea im thinking of getting the Aux input jack from toyota but the final problem is if this grey cable with the plug that is going to plug up to the aux input is even compatible with the stereo i got from toyota. That is, is the wiring in my car compatible with the stereo. Im not sure about this because when I bought my yaris it did not include a radio but I bargained and finally got a radio. Toyota said the radio I got belonged to a 4 runner. I hope the yaris wiring, the grey plug i posted the picture of, is connected to the back of the stereo they installed.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #23
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You could actually make your own for a couple of dollars.

Pin 1 - White - Left Audio
Pin 2 - Red - Right Audio
Pin 3 - Black - Audio Ground
Pin 4 - Red - Input Switch (Connect to ground {pin 3} to enable aux on radio)
Pin 5 - Grey - Shield

Buy one of these for $2.49, and install it in a more practical place than the OEM one (like in the driver's glove box):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...51&tab=summary
Do you know what the red input switch wire (the AUXI/O) actually does? Is it something that the IEBus/AVCLan recognizes?

I'm wondering if it could be connected to the TX+ on the 12 pin port for the CD Changer to get an auxiliary-in at that point, basically doing the same thing the PIE adapters do.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is something I've been very curious about :)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #24
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
My plug is a little different

My '09 5-door LB has a different looking plug as well for the aux. jack. My '07 3-door LB had that gray, four-wire version pictured in posts above.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Do you know what the red input switch wire (the AUXI/O) actually does? Is it something that the IEBus/AVCLan recognizes?

I'm wondering if it could be connected to the TX+ on the 12 pin port for the CD Changer to get an auxiliary-in at that point, basically doing the same thing the PIE adapters do.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is something I've been very curious about :)
It is just a switched input that tells the radio that an AUX device exists so that when you press the AUX button it will switch to AUX mode. The easiest thing to do with it is to simply ground it.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #26
Oned

So I took my dash apart, and took out the stereo. There were 2 plugs and 1 little metal plug, plugged into the stereo. I tried to follow the grey pug I had found under the trim next to the E break but I could not follow it all the way. My question is, is the grey plug I found that is suppose to be where i plug in the auxiliary input jack i am going to buy from toyota attached to the 2 plugs i found behind the dash attached to the stereo? I dont want to buy the input jack from toyota for 104 dollars and then it turns out the grey plug was not connected to the stereo. If you look at the picture i posted of the back of my stereo, the 2 plugs are attached to the plugs on the right hand side of the stereo. The 2 input plugs on the left side of my stereo are not in use.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I took my dash apart, and took out the stereo. There were 2 plugs and 1 little metal plug, plugged into the stereo. I tried to follow the grey pug I had found under the trim next to the E break but I could not follow it all the way. My question is, is the grey plug I found that is suppose to be where i plug in the auxiliary input jack i am going to buy from toyota attached to the 2 plugs i found behind the dash attached to the stereo? I dont want to buy the input jack from toyota for 104 dollars and then it turns out the grey plug was not connected to the stereo. If you look at the picture i posted of the back of my stereo, the 2 plugs are attached to the plugs on the right hand side of the stereo. The 2 input plugs on the left side of my stereo are not in use.

The ones in your picture are D10 (10 pins) and D11 (6 pins). The Aux input feeds into connector D74 (20 pin connector, with only 5 used). Since you have the other end of cable for D74 in place, I would pull the radio (and maybe the AC controls) and look down below for the connector.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #28
Oned

Thanks for the your replies :). I think i found the plug. It has the same color wires as the grey plug. 2 Red, 1 black, 1 grey 1 White. And this plug fit perfectly on the input plug all the way to the left hand side of the stereo. If you look at the picture i posted of the back side of my stereo u can see where the plug I found fit. Would i need to connect anything else?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the your replies :). I think i found the plug. It has the same color wires as the grey plug. 2 Red, 1 black, 1 grey 1 White. And this plug fit perfectly on the input plug all the way to the left hand side of the stereo. If you look at the picture i posted of the back side of my stereo u can see where the plug I found fit. Would i need to connect anything else?
That's all that needs to be connected on the radio side.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #30
Oned

Thats good to know, I can put everything back now lol, I had to go to work with a big hole in my dash. So all that is left is for me to go to toyota and order the axuiliary input jack.....Then plug it up to the grey plug I posted a picture of. Is this correct? Just want to make sure before i pay toyota 104 dollars for an Aux input jack.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thats good to know, I can put everything back now lol, I had to go to work with a big hole in my dash. So all that is left is for me to go to toyota and order the axuiliary input jack.....Then plug it up to the grey plug I posted a picture of. Is this correct? Just want to make sure before i pay toyota 104 dollars for an Aux input jack.

You should be good to go. If you want to be 100% sure, find someone near you with a LB that has an aux jack and borrow it for a quick test. It takes less that a minute to pop the Aux jack.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #32
Oned

Haha its funny you say that, I was at school looking at other peoples Yaris in the parking garage...Thanks for all of your help. Thank you everyone. I will post again to let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #33
Wirenut07
Slave To The Groove

Drives: 07 S
I was getting my oil changed at a local dealership and I noticed that an '09 sedan had the AUX jack in the center console. Could someone give me the part number for that? I think that would be a lot easier to access and it would fill up the extra unused spot on the console. Any help would be appreciated.
Wirenut07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenut07 View Post
I was getting my oil changed at a local dealership and I noticed that an '09 sedan had the AUX jack in the center console. Could someone give me the part number for that? I think that would be a lot easier to access and it would fill up the extra unused spot on the console. Any help would be appreciated.
86190-48010
Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #35
Oned

Well I got the Aux Input jack. I plugged in the grey plug to it and it fit perfectly. But when i hook up my ipod and press the Disc-Aux button on my stereo nothing happens.. If there is a CD it will go to cd and play the cd but if there is no disc it does not go to aux. Any ideas? If you look at the picture from the back of my stereo on my first post in this discussion I am using the first plug starting on the left hand side. The 2nd plug is not being used, then the 3rd and 4th plug are also being used. Then i have a plug on the bottom right hand side being used as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well I got the Aux Input jack. I plugged in the grey plug to it and it fit perfectly. But when i hook up my ipod and press the Disc-Aux button on my stereo nothing happens.. If there is a CD it will go to cd and play the cd but if there is no disc it does not go to aux. Any ideas? If you look at the picture from the back of my stereo on my first post in this discussion I am using the first plug starting on the left hand side. The 2nd plug is not being used, then the 3rd and 4th plug are also being used. Then i have a plug on the bottom right hand side being used as well.
The first plug on the HU (the 20 pin one) is the one at the other end of the aux jack, so it is plugged in on both ends you should be OK. As a quick test, connect pins 3 and 4 on the jack side (using a piece of wire, paper clip, etc.)

The pins go 1-White, 2-Red, 3-Black, 4-Red.

After connecting 3 to 4, try hitting the Aux button.