Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Rear Sway Bar Instructions - Additional Pics

Finally got the rear sway bar and had some updated pictures to add some detail to the current install instructions (like the PDF posted on sparks) just to help any first timers.

Step 3(b). “Leave one bolt in place.” & Step 4(a) "Hang sway bar off of shock bolt". I chose to leave the rear-right bolt in place, just because that is the muffler side (may get in the way of larger wrenches, eps. if you are working on the ground and can only do 1/8 turns).

Step 3(b). “Back the other bolt out until flush with the shock mount.” I left 3 threads (just didn’t want it to pop out) and could still fit the bar over.

If you’re holding off on doing this yourself because it may be hard or tricky, it takes more time and effort to jack the car and get the tires on and off than putting the actual bar on, that’s how simple it is.

You might want to wait until the part actually shows up before taking your wheels off though. I was too excited! Longest 19 minute wait of my life!

Performance Review:

I no longer lean my head and torso into a hard turn. Slow speed or gradual turns will not show the effect of reduced understeer, however, the anti-roll becomes very pronounced at higher speeds / sharper turns, almost as if once you reach a certian cornering force, you can feel the car carving into the turn more than before. The only data I can produce is being able to take 10-20mph turns about 3-5 mph faster, and being able to take 30-35mph turns about 7mph faster.

This was a gateway mod, which enabled me to feel the 'softness' of the front springs....next mod planned.

Pros: Easy Install, sharp performance.

Cons: If I hit a large pothole or bump with just one of the rear tires, I can feel it twisting the back end more (bar induces roll from one tire bump). Solution: Don't hit the bumps if possible. Move to state / country with better roads.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote