Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
GD-RS

Drives: Black Golf...for now
Unhappy 3M Trim-line Pain Protection?

Hey All, just wondering about the 3M Trim-Line paint protector and whether or not it's worthwhile. I know some of you have applied this to your Yarises and was just wondering if you're satisfied? I've heard good things and bad.

I plan on getting a black 5 door RS and one of the main cons for this product is that polish etc builds up on the seem and makes it very visible, maybe not such a big deal on a white one but since I plan on keeping a full time mirror finish on mine i think it might be an issue.

I guess the alternative is live with the minor ones and buy a deflector, right?
GD-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
3M Trimline all the way - my 3M Trimline installer did the hood and front of the fenders for $200...I've had it on all my cars...

The polish building up at the edge of the film is easily removed with the edge of a rag or a q-tip...If you use a clear polish like Zaino there is no white residue anyways...The film is waxable as well...

I don't like the deflectors because they trap contaminants, and you end up getting rust where they attach, and rub...

Cheers
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD-RS
Hey All, just wondering about the 3M Trim-Line paint protector and whether or not it's worthwhile. I know some of you have applied this to your Yarises and was just wondering if you're satisfied? I've heard good things and bad.

I plan on getting a black 5 door RS and one of the main cons for this product is that polish etc builds up on the seem and makes it very visible, maybe not such a big deal on a white one but since I plan on keeping a full time mirror finish on mine i think it might be an issue.

I guess the alternative is live with the minor ones and buy a deflector, right?
the 3M is totally worth the money. Unfortunately I did not get as good of a deal as echo hrs. I did mine for $550 that includes the hood, full front bumper, side mirrors, and door seals. Don't get the reflector because I think it makes the car look so ugly, especially on the Yaris because the hood is positioned so high up on the Yaris.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
tifosi360

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Do they sell pre-cut kits in Canada?

I am in the US; nobody sells any pre-cut 3M kits yet. Do you know anyone that sells them in Canada so I could order it?

Thanks!
tifosi360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
paco

Drives: 2002 MINI Cooper
I have heard the 3M paint protector yellows with age. Is that true ?
Also does it withstand the harsh winter/calcium road conditions ?

--
paco
paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
That's correct. That's why you don't see many countries with harsh UV exposure (such as Australia) that sells these coz it goes all hard and yellowy.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
celica girl

Drives: '00 Celica, '07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoahmaru
the 3M is totally worth the money. Unfortunately I did not get as good of a deal as echo hrs. I did mine for $550 that includes the hood, full front bumper, side mirrors, and door seals. Don't get the reflector because I think it makes the car look so ugly, especially on the Yaris because the hood is positioned so high up on the Yaris.
You got a pretty decent deal. hrs didn't get the front bumper done but you did.

A reputable place should warranty your 3m bra for 5 years against it turning yellow. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
celica girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica girl
You got a pretty decent deal. hrs didn't get the front bumper done but you did.

A reputable place should warranty your 3m bra for 5 years against it turning yellow. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yea I got 5 year warrany on it turning yellow or some other malfunctions, and also life-time install warranty if it ever peels off or chips. The place I went to is called High Line Auto Custom in Calgary, they did a really good job.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
paco

If/when the 3M protection becomes yellow, is is possible to have it changed without damaging the paint ?

--
paco
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

The film is removeable...And I've never had it yellow on any of my previous cars...
Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
The film is removeable...And I've never had it yellow on any of my previous cars...
Great news! I'm going to consider it seriously for my next car.

Would you trust the dealership (they offer 3M film installation) or would you rather go to a specialized shop ?

Does the film tend to scratch easier than paint ? Can you see hairline scratches when looking at the car under the sun ?

--
paco
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco
Great news! I'm going to consider it seriously for my next car.

Would you trust the dealership (they offer 3M film installation) or would you rather go to a specialized shop ?

Does the film tend to scratch easier than paint ? Can you see hairline scratches when looking at the car under the sun ?

--
paco
The dealership will have an installer come in and install it. The installers they use are usually pretty good, but it ends up costing more, for instance my Toyota dealer wanted $400 bux to do the film, whereas my local Trim-Line shop did it for 200...I have used the same shop for over 10 years, so I know they do a great job, I can't really tell you what your best option is in Quebec...

The film can get surface scratches, but is waxable, so they come out...but I am also obsessive compulsive with the finish on my car, only hand washing, waxing very often and garage storing it...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
GD-RS

Drives: Black Golf...for now
Yeah, I think this is the way to go. I've spoken to quite a few people now and they all give it good reviews. I feel ya echo_hrs, i'm the same way and if adding this protection will help ease my constant worry, then so be it. the fact that it's waxable is also a key feature. thanks everyone
GD-RS is offline   Reply With Quote