Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
opalbrown

Help! Wanting to get dirtbike rack fitted

Hellooo, iv got a 2011 toyota yaris 3 door hatch and was wondering if anyone may know the possibilities of getting a tow ball fited and possibly a dirt bike rack? If anyone could help with and info at all it would be muchly appreciated :) thanks
opalbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I just installed a Curt 11050 on my 09 (which your 2011 would use as well). Once you install the hitch, you could use any bike rack that fits a 1-1/4" receiver. Here's a link to what it looks like. Installation took less than 30 minutes.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52489

If by dirt bike you mean a motorcycle, rather than bicycle, then you would not want to use a rack, but rather a small motorcycle trailer, as it would be too heavy for the tongue weight rating.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I just installed a Curt 11050 on my 09 (which your 2011 would use as well). Once you install the hitch, you could use any bike rack that fits a 1-1/4" receiver. Here's a link to what it looks like. Installation took less than 30 minutes.

If by dirt bike you mean a motorcycle, rather than bicycle, then you would not want to use a rack, but rather a small motorcycle trailer, as it would be too heavy for the tongue weight rating.

Do you know if that Curt 11050 will fit an '11 equipped with TRD cat-back and TRD rear sway bar?

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Do you know if that Curt 11050 will fit an '11 equipped with TRD cat-back and TRD rear sway bar?
I believe it will with no problem. Installed, the only thing that hangs below the bottom edge of the bumper is the receiver (in the center). By the exhaust it is completely tucked up there.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
opalbrown

Quote:

Awesome! Thanks so much, so no problems installing it myself or someone who knows a fair bit on cars? Do you know what the max weight that one would hold is :)
Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
No interference from the TRD?

Quote:
I believe it will with no problem. Installed, the only thing that hangs below the bottom edge of the bumper is the receiver (in the center). By the exhaust it is completely tucked up there.
Thanks for the reply. The TRD seems a bit larger than the OEM exhaust....ample clearance with the Curt. Does anyone have any pix of the Curt towbar in relation to either the OEM or TRD exhaust?

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Thanks for the reply. The TRD seems a bit larger than the OEM exhaust....ample clearance with the Curt. Does anyone have any pix of the Curt towbar in relation to either the OEM or TRD exhaust?
Here's a pic of mine with the OEM exhaust. As you can see, the only place where the curt extends below the bumper plastics is at the rear tie down:
Curt Hitch - Oem Exhaust.jpg
Old 10-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
opalbrown

Quote:

Awesome! Thanks so much for that :) are they hard to install? Asin would I be able to personally achieve it or am I best of getting a freind who knows abit more about cars to have a crack? :) can I buy that hitch off ebay?