Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Smile RED Carbon Fiber wrapping :)

Before I begin, I would like to give a BIG thanks to Brian for pointing me in the right direction and for the awesome advice he has given me. He has literally taught me all there is to know about wet-laying CF.

Anyway, I'm going to use this as my progress thread. I have never used real CF before, so I am taking my time :)

EDIT: High res pics of some of the completed pieces are on page 3, post 40

So I bought some Red CF from soller composites. Here is a close up of the weave.
100_1917.jpg

Since I am new to working with CF I decided to start with something flat that also had a gentle curve. I chose the middle armrest trim piece from the liftback. Here is a picture of it with two light coats of flat black, painted in case the grey somehow managed to show through on accident.
photo (6).jpg

Here is the CF square I cut out
photo (5).jpg

I applied the CF using 3M super 77 because of its quick tack time. After learning how to use the 3M without getting covered in it, here is the final result.
photo (2).jpg

Overall, the weave is straight, and that is what is important.
photo (4).jpg

Here is the piece with the first coat of epoxy on. Dry times vary, but I'll end up putting about 3 more coats after this.
res2.jpg

So far so good, no problems encountered yet. But all this work spanned about 5 hours, so i'm working slowly and taking my time so I dont have to redo anything.
res.jpg

I still have 3 coats to do and the lots and lots of prep work and sanding.

Thanks for looking. I'll keep updating the thread as I accomplish more. Sorry for the pic quality, gotta love the iphone.

Last edited by Slick; 10-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Colors come in pink, white, purple, light blue, blue, red, orange, yellow, green, lime green, and gray. Cf wrapping is a lot easier than it looks. Just ask Slick. He's doing very well for his first time.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Slick

And the master has spoke! :) Yeah PK, its a little daunting at first, but once you actually get in to doing it its a lot less difficult. There is a small learning curve, but the same can be said for anything. The best way to describe how this cf feels and moves is to compare it to dental floss, except its more dense. It feels very similar and molds/bends with ease. Im loving every second of this project. :D

Last edited by Slick; 10-16-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Slick

Well, the place to go is sollercomposites.com. Unfortunately, the combo colors are one color of your choice, then Kevlar, which is black. But they have two shades of blue, dark and light.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Slick

I did the trimming today. After some trial and error I figured out how to trim the cf without it trying to fray. Here is a pic of the only turn and curve.
q.jpg

Here is a pic of the test fit
w.jpg

I love how the kevlar really pops at different angles of light
e.jpg

Overall everything is going smoothly. I'll be adding the rest of the coats of resign today and then its more sanding. Lots n lots of sanding. Hope you enjoy :)
Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Slick

Im sanding the CF fabric itself. Normally, when you add the resign to the cf, the fibery cf becomes stiff and hard and then its a breeze to cut with a dremel using a sanding drum or cutting wheel. Unfortunately, I added a VERY thin layer, so the cf soaked up most of the resign and it didnt actually become stiff enough for me to sand it with out fraying easily. I used the cutting wheel for the dremel to cut all the excess off while leaving about a quarter inch before the actual piece of trim. Then using a combo of super sharp scissors and a exacto knife, I slowly cut around the plastic trim to get the flush look. The cf is stiff enough to cut and not fray, but not enough to withstand a dremel.

However, after I put my next coats of resign and they dry, I will use the sanding wheel to get back to the flush look it has now. I hope that helps :) I did learn now though that I should use a little more than very little to coat the cf, especially near the edges that need trimming.

Last edited by Slick; 10-17-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I think its going to look REALLY good when you're done! The red car with the gray wrapped in the red CF is going to be killer. I'm tempted now to do the same with my car, although mine is silver with lots of black carbon fiber on the outside now.

How much thicker is it now? I'm thinking of doing my stereo/hvac bezel...
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Slick

I'm not sure yet. I still have two coats of resign and clear coat to add. However, there will be alot of sanding. So idk the final thickness. It's about 1/32" extra now. Give or take a bit.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Slick

Today I started on three more pieces of trim. These are the two short armrest pieces on the end, as well as the other middle armrest trim. I definitely improved my wrapping technique. However, that didn't stop me from totally bending one of the end trim pieces over and having my way with it. Sorry no pics But yeah, lets just say that I waited to long for the 3M to tack and then not long enough. Ending with the black paint underneath worming its way through the CF and smearing all over the top. But hey, I trashed that piece of cf, sanded off the glue, repainted, and my second attempt on that piece turned out perfect Heres a pic of the three parts wrapped.
a.jpg

I added the first coat of resign to those three pieces a little later, as well as another coat to the first one I was working on. Hopefully only one more coat on the first piece and then it will be ready to be sanded
Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
I will be the first I guess to be a party pooper and say I don't like it. BUT I do like your enthusiasm and that you are happy with it. So I will keep lurking this thread it looks nice for what you are trying to do, but doesnt appeal to me i nthe way I'd do it.

Keeping track of the thread! Good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Slick

Dont worry, there is always a sour puss. Keep in mind though, none of the pieces are in no way near being finished. But, here's a thought, I would love to see what you would come up with. There are lots of colors and styles. Are you up to the challenge :) And thank your for your support. It's always good to have both sides of an idea present.

Last edited by Slick; 10-18-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Slick

Today I did the first trim of the three new pieces. I have to add another coat of resign to help stiffen the CF a little more before I can get the good trim going. Heres a pic of all the pieces I'm working on now. The three new ones only have 1 coat of resign and my first pieces has 3 now. The first piece is almost ready to be sanded, I think one more coat will be all that it needs
4.jpg

There is a major difference in the way the CF looks with resign. Thanks for all the comments. I'll be adding the second coat to the new pieces and hopefully the final coat on the first piece a little later.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think it looks good without resin too. Makes it look almost like a oem fabric
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Slick

I agree, the red CF does look good even without the resign. However, it would be impossible to keep from messing up the CF without resign. The CF weaves move out of place very easily, which is why all the edges are taped up before adding resign. All it would take is one good tug or push to disturb the weave.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #15
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Very nice work......keep it going,it will look great,I so wanna do the same to mine,using the Neffy and also dry weave for many accent parts....I miss working with CF.....used to work for Boeing...don't fly lol.....
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
Slick

Just a quick update. I'm slowly adding the resign layers to the three newest pieces. The good update is that I finally got around to sanding the first piece. I did a wet sand with 1500 grit and then used some Meguairs Ultra Cut to removed the 1500 grit scratches. The piece is coming along nicely. Its pretty shiny/reflective now, however, when I add the clear coat is when the super shine comes in to play. So, heres to the future

as.jpg

Unfortunately the sun is not out, as you can see the clouds in the reflection. The sun is what really makes the black kevlar pop. So far so good, i'll update again in the future when I get the clear on.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Slick

Not issues yet, it fits like OEM :) Although, every so often I go in and mock up the placement and trim where necessary. There is always that pesky drip of resign that likes to hide in odd places to hold off the trim. I was kind of bummed that I couldn't get a sun shot, but sometimes you have to work with what you have :)
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
Slick

Hmmm, sounds like plan. I'm excited about the three other pieces as well. The cf pattern almost lines up perfectly :)