Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
xed

Drives: '08 Polar White 3dr
True of False.. a dealership in the US can order you a Yaris

I've seen a variety of comments on this and I want to know since it effects when/how I should buy.

I want to know if you can really order a Yaris through a dealership. This does NOT mean dealer installed options. Dealers can always install dealer options; that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about factory installed options, specifically airbags.

I've heard stories about dealerships telling people "Yes we'll order it." only for them to find out later that it never happened.

So what's the deal?

- Do the dealers put in a "wish list" with Toyota and then they just get whatever is the closest match to their "wish list" that shows up on the next boat?

- Or can dealers really order "Car X with factory option Y" but they just don't want to because they're worried about getting stuck with the car?

- Or is it something else all together?

The reason I ask is because I want to get an 08 LB manual with side curtain airbags but from the inventory lists I've only seen a manual+airbags in the new "S" option and I don't feel like paying 2Gs for a lip kit and a leather shift knob. I just want a manual with side curtain airbags and I don't mind waiting months if I have too, I just want to know if they can really order it or if they're just going to "take my order" and then just cross their fingers and check boat inventories.

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
ty in advance.
xed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Its more a matter of regions and allocations. Each region gets a certain allocation of a certain car that they can order speicifically each month, for my case my region was allocated 13 Yaris LB to be built and shipped for that period, however, my local dealership was not one of the 130 dealerships that was given a choice to order a Yaris. But they were able to look in the computer to see who was allocated one and made a trade so they could order my Yaris in the color I wanted, with the options I wanted. Otherwise you have to take what they have on the lot. All options are not available in all regions either. Not sure if this helps, but it was my personal scenario.
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
oilman930

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Hatchback
A high volume dealership is in a better position to do a special order on a car, at least in the eyes of Toyota. The problem is if the factory will accept the special order.

Ask your local dealership if they will try to process a special order. You will find out within three to four weeks if the factory will accept it or not.

Good Luck
oilman930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Dealers can place preference orders. It all depends on what is actually being built for which region. I went to the dealer to preference an S Hatch, and could get neither ABS or side airbags. This isn't just a regional thing. I tried a "build your Toyota" for each region, and it was the same thing. At least PNW gets them built with Power Package and All-Weather Guard but what's going on when you can't even option ABS? Some regions can't even option fog lights!
I may end up with an xD despite the extra $1500, but it includes SAB and ABS standard plus the steering wheel radio controls. Guess I'll have to learn to love that nose.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
the one im ordering from prostige toyota said that most dealers dont do it cause ppl back down and there stuck with cars and that its a lot of paperwork type stuff lol idk all i know is if u really want one just go to dealership to dealership till u get one that will order for u
Old 09-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
grampi

Drives: Corolla
I would not order ANY new car unless I could order it with exactly the options I wanted, period!
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
the one im ordering from prostige toyota said that most dealers dont do it cause ppl back down and there stuck with cars and that its a lot of paperwork type stuff lol idk all i know is if u really want one just go to dealership to dealership till u get one that will order for u
Don't you have to put down a deposit before they'll order anything for you? If someone backs out, does this mean that their deposit is returned to them or does the dealer keep it?

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
jenarae

Drives: No more Yaris!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
Don't you have to put down a deposit before they'll order anything for you? If someone backs out, does this mean that their deposit is returned to them or does the dealer keep it?

This is true...

When my friend ordered her Prius she had to put down some form of cash money.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I put down $100 for my yaris but I went through with the buy so I'm not sure how it works if someone backs out of it. It was suppose to be $500 but I didn't have a checkbook and they wouldn't take a check from my dad unless he was also on the title. so we just put together however much cash we have..

Old 09-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
2000 non refundable deposit....but it goes 2 the final price
Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
sherryberry

that's what i thought. that it was non-refundable.. so why would someone still just not go through w/ the purchase. isn't it in the dealerships' interest to take an order since that's sure $$?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
I never had to put a down payment and they ordered me in one. However I do know the sales manager so that would probably help.
Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
large volume dealers & highly rated by Toyota Dealers , can order a car sometimes . From what i hear is that any car made in Japan by Toyota you can't really order with out a huge lead time . as the production runs cutoffs are soo far out there that most people will not wait ., Toyota in Japan has the all parts made well in advance of a production run ,that's why the hatch back was in short supply in the last part of o7 , toyota thought the 4door sedan S was gonna sell alot more than the hatches were .. that's how i got mine .. A h/b , (it's loaded with everything you can get on a o7 h/b except the cold weather pkg ) was that it was not pre-order soo much as the dealer had pre-selected 2 cars like mine for his allotment from a production run .It was for someone else but the lead time was soooo long the deal fell thru & i happened to see the boat list as they were about to hit the lot ,i had a choice of wt Or black the rest is history ....... that's how i became a charter member of Club Black !
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #14
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
people telling you that you cant order this car is full of crap. we placed our order on october 20, 2006. we picked up our yaris jan 15, 2007. no deposit. nothing up front while ordering. how did we know it was gonna be a real order and not a "preference order"..?? the dealership didnt ask for a 2nd choice in anything, kinda like: "if we cant get it in black, whats your 2nd choice??" the dealer asked us what we wanted, we placed the order, and 3 months later the car was here. know what was cool?? the dealership actually called us from time to time letting us know where we were in the process, ie: order sent, order received and processed, car built, car shipped, and finally, car arrived. dont let people lead you to believe you cant order a car to your exact liking. one big factor to why were able to order a car? probably because we're in the biggest car market in the US (los angeles, CA). i know of TWO dealerships who for sure will order one you (Norwalk toyota and Carson toyota). but i agree with most people here, that MOST dealerships only have the power to preference order. the 5 nearest dealerships to us COULDNT order our car. good luck with your decision..!

--B

ps: btw, for people who talked about non-refundable deposits, that stuff is illegal in CA. a deposit, by defintion, is refundable. if its non-refundable, then its called a FEE.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
^^ Agree, Carson Toyota has pretty good sales (800+ a month) and would work with you to get the one you want. I'd say the Power Group is pretty good too. But anyway, it depends with the dealership. The smaller, family dealership that I went to offered me that they'd just do a trade but it would take a while. They said they only get a certain allotment of color and bayou blue, at that time, was the "hot" color and even the larger dealerships did not have it on their stock. So I went ahead with another color with the thought that I don't want to be in a color that everyone else is driving. lol.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
sherryberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
^^ Agree, Carson Toyota has pretty good sales (800+ a month) and would work with you to get the one you want. I'd say the Power Group is pretty good too. But anyway, it depends with the dealership. The smaller, family dealership that I went to offered me that they'd just do a trade but it would take a while. They said they only get a certain allotment of color and bayou blue, at that time, was the "hot" color and even the larger dealerships did not have it on their stock. So I went ahead with another color with the thought that I don't want to be in a color that everyone else is driving. lol.
wow really? Every single dealerships I went to .. all they had in a liftback was that bayou blue!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
When you're buying something as expensive as a brand new car, it's worth paying $100 in gas to go to the closes major city and get one there. There's a lot more competition in the larger markets so the dealerships are going to try harder for your business. It's like around here, 1 toyota dealership and they'll stick it to ya just because they know they're the only one around.

My advice: Go to your local dealership and tell them you want X car with Y options. If they don't have it in stock then they should be able to tell you which dealership does have it. Let on that you'd like them to make a dealer swap for the car and then just back out on them and go get it yourself.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote