Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
spiceyhotwings

Drives: 2009 Yaris RS 5 door
Does any 1 know how to get fog lights on at the same time as parking/low/high beams?

I have a 2009 Yaris RS

I can only run my OME fog lights when the low beams are on. They won't turn on in the parking light or high beam mode.

What must be done so that I can turn on the fogs in any (parking/low/high beam) mode?

Last edited by spiceyhotwings; 09-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.
spiceyhotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With you OEM fogs, if you have the headlight stalk with the fog switch on the tip of it,
you can allow them to turn on in any headlight mode by cutting the wire in pin 4 of the headlight stalk connector (which is at the base of the stalk on the column). Cap off the harness end of the wire and tap the connector end to the wire in pin 13. This will allow them to turn on with the parking lights, low beams or high beams.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
spiceyhotwings

My fog light connector looks different than the one in the pic or it seems

that I can't find one that looks like that.

My connector has 2 signal and 2 fog light pins on the top row.

It has 2 parking lights and I believe 2 side marker pins on the bottom row.

It might be the same as the one in your yaris.

Last edited by spiceyhotwings; 07-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyhotwings View Post
My fog light connector looks different than the one in the pic or it seems

that I can't find one that looks like that.

My connector has 2 signal and 2 fog light pins on the top row.

It has 2 parking lights and I believe 2 side marker pins on the bottom row.

It might be the same as the one in your yaris.
That's not the fog light connector that I am showing, it is the headlight stalk connector. Does you Yaris have the foglight switch on the tip of the stalk or is it a separate console mounted switch?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
spiceyhotwings

Where does one find this headlight stalk connector?

I might not be looking at the right spot.

My fog light on/off switch is on the signal arm just to the right of the low/high beam toggle.

All the functions seem to be on that one arm.(signals,high beam on, low beam, fog on/off switch, parking lights.)
Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Where does one find this headlight stalk connector?

I might not be looking at the right spot.

My fog light on/off switch is on the signal arm just to the right of the low/high beam toggle.

All the functions seem to be on that one arm.(signals,high beam on, low beam, fog on/off switch, parking lights.)
That's the "arm" or "stalk" I am talking about. Follow it down to under the steering column cover and you will find the connector. There are three screws that you have to remove to remove the lower steering column cover. Two are under the steering wheel (rotate the steering wheel about 45 degrees in either direction and you will see them). The thirds is next to the lever for adjusting the steering wheel height.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
spiceyhotwings

Hi....I tried doing this and it didn't work. I hooked everything back to normal and am going to settle with the factory setting.

The only problem now is I think I blew the fog light fuse, because my fog lights don't work now.

I can't seem find the fuse box that houses the fog light fuse.

It's not in the one under the hood and my manual says it's under the instrument panel, but I can't find the fuse box.

I will be happy just to find the fuse box and get my fog lights working again.

Could you please give me any advise on how to find this fuse box.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi....I tried doing this and it didn't work. I hooked everything back to normal and am going to settle with the factory setting.

The only problem now is I think I blew the fog light fuse, because my fog lights don't work now.

I can't seem find the fuse box that houses the fog light fuse.

It's not in the one under the hood and my manual says it's under the instrument panel, but I can't find the fuse box.

I will be happy just to find the fuse box and get my fog lights working again.

Could you please give me any advise on how to find this fuse box.

That definitely should have worked if you understood my directions.

The FOG fuse is in the under dash fuse panel, literally under the bottom of the dash behind the lever that opens the hood.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
formulation

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4dr LB Blazing Blue
Just to be clear, by cutting the wire in pin 4 of the headlight stalk connector and capping off the harness end of the wire, this wire is just removed from the circuit. Then tapping (splicing) the end of the cut wire from pin 4 to the wire in pin 13 will allow them to turn on with the parking lights, low beams or high beams.
Thanks
formulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulation View Post
Just to be clear, by cutting the wire in pin 4 of the headlight stalk connector and capping off the harness end of the wire, this wire is just removed from the circuit. Then tapping (splicing) the end of the cut wire from pin 4 to the wire in pin 13 will allow them to turn on with the parking lights, low beams or high beams.
Thanks
Correct
Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
spiceyhotwings

Is this a fuse?

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads...01%20190-1.pdf Do you know if the part (N) on page 7 of 35 is a fuse? I fried my fog light relay and have checked all the fuses and still can't get them to work. I was wondering if part (N) was a fried fuse and if I replaced it would it get my fogs back running. If that doesn't work I was planning to put in a new aftermarket relay system.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads...01%20190-1.pdf Do you know if the part (N) on page 7 of 35 is a fuse? I fried my fog light relay and have checked all the fuses and still can't get them to work. I was wondering if part (N) was a fried fuse and if I replaced it would it get my fogs back running. If that doesn't work I was planning to put in a new aftermarket relay system.
Part N is the fog light relay. Did your Yaris have daytime running lights?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
spiceyhotwings

yes it does have DTL.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
yes it does have DTL.
Can you snap a picture of how you have things wired? You said that you "fried the relay". If you are asking if N is a fuse (where it is actually the relay), what relay did you actually "fry"?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
spiceyhotwings

I actually don't know what got fried. It's a 2009 RS with daytime lights. It is all stock pre-wired OEM fog lights. I tried to get the fogs to work with low or high beams on by cutting the 4 wire on the headlight stalk connector and splicing it to 13. That didn't work.The problem was that because of the 2009 RS model wires looked different in color from what you had posted. I tried touching the 4 wire to other pins to see if I could get it working that way and that's when something got fried. I checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. Now I was wondering if I remove the part (N) could I test it to see if it is fried? Maybe if I replaced part (N) that would get my fogs and dashboard indicator to work again. If all else fails, I'm gonna wire up the fogs the old school way. I just better not forget to turn off my fogs. I will try to get a photo but I'm not sure how to post it here.

Last edited by spiceyhotwings; 09-07-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I actually don't know what got fried. It's a 2009 RS with daytime lights. It is all stock pre-wired OEM fog lights. I tried to get the fogs to work with low or high beams on by cutting the 4 wire on the headlight stalk connector and splicing it to 13. That didn't work.The problem was that because of the 2009 RS model wires looked different in color from what you had posted. I tried touching the 4 wire to other pins to see if I could get it working that way and that's when something got fried. I checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. Now I was wondering if I remove the part (N) could I test it to see if it is fried? Maybe if I replaced part (N) that would get my fogs and dashboard indicator to work again. If all else fails, I'm gonna wire up the fogs the old school way. I just better not forget to turn off my fogs. I will try to get a photo but I'm not sure how to post it here.
There's a sticky thread on how to post pictures, but in a worst case, you can PM me for my email address and then just email me the pics.

You can test the foglight relay with an ohm meter. One pair of terminals should be about 70 ohms and the other pair should be open (infinite resistance). The typical failure mode of a relay is for the coil to fail and in that case both sets of terminals would read as open.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
spiceyhotwings

How and can the relay (part N) be easily removed? If it does happen to be fried,would replacing it with a new one solve my non functioning fog lights and fog light indicator?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
How and can the relay (part N) be easily removed? If it does happen to be fried,would replacing it with a new one solve my non functioning fog lights and fog light indicator?
The relay just pulls out of its socket. If it is bad, then it could cause all of the symptoms you are seeing.