Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
New GT-R Currently Being Tested In The States

Quote:
Originally Posted from Supraforums- but might have come from an Evo forum.

Around 5:30 Monday night, Keith (evo4g63) and I were heading down Cerrillos Road when we spotted the silver prototype Nissan Skyline, along with 2 black Armadas turning into an Amigo Mart on the opposite side of the road. Being that this was a rare sighting, we quickly flipped a "U" and pulled into the station. As we pulled in, the car was surrounded by roughly 12 Asian guys who were logging information. Hoping that they spoke English, we decided to get down to talk with them about the car. I asked one of the guys what he thought of the car, and you guessed it, he had no idea what I was saying. However, he did manage to whisper a question into my ear, "you know GTR", in which I replied, "heck yes". As he asked me that, I noticed a large bulge on the right hand side of the covered interior. To my pleasant surprise it was a Japanese version Skyline equipped with factory turbos. We spoke with the reps from Nissan Japan a bit longer, and after a good 10-15 minutes of leg humping, let them get back on the road. The car has Michigan plates, and is being tested on US roads, so make sure to keep an eye out for it!

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If you don't think that is a gorgeous automobile, I don't understand you.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
argh! looks hotter than hot... Can't wait!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Unmasked w/ specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road and Track
Photos of a masked Nissan GT-R lapping the Nürburgring last fall received more hits on the Internet than Miss USA did after a night out on the town. The reason: Despite its expected price tag of about $70,000, the GT-R will be the most alluring Japanese sports machine to come our way since the Acura NSX in the mid-1990s. Previously sold only in Japan, the GT-R (Skyline GT-R as it was formerly known) has been an icon to boy racers and aftermarket tuners alike since the R32 appeared in 1989. The upcoming version, which will hit dealer showrooms in late 2007 or early 2008, will be the first model marketed worldwide, thus the first official version available in the U.S. Nissan has remained mum regarding this sixth-generation model, but we have discovered some interesting new tidbits about the car.

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn confirmed that the GT-R will be built in Japan. The chassis will be assembled in the company's Tochigi factory while the powerplant will be produced at its Yokohama engine plant. The official logo for the car has also been released. As for the performance of the GT machine, here's what we know so far.

Power will come from a 3.7-liter version of Nissan's VQ powerplant. A pair of turbochargers will help it produce about 450 bhp and 360 lb.-ft. of torque. Because longtime fans of the GT-R are accustomed to more output via aftermarket tuning, Nissan has seemingly left some room on the table for buyers wanting to increase the power of their GT-Rs.

Stock boost pressure will be limited to about 10 psi, but we hear that the engine is capable of handling a lot more. A tamer version of this V-6, codenamed VQ37HR-TT, will make its way into the upcoming Infiniti G35 Coupe. Key differences between the engines are that the GT-R's VQ will have the twin turbo*chargers, lighter pistons and connecting rods, as well as a beefed-up crankshaft. Other custom parts may make their way into the engine, including racing profile camshafts and new valvetrain. It will come mated to a Getrag 6-speed transmission or a paddle-shift sequential automatic with seven or eight gears.

The GT-R will have awesome stopping power, especially if it wears the same brakes spotted during testing at the Ring. Gold-colored Brembo calipers sparkled in the sun as the GT-R attacked the famed Nordschleife. Upon closer inspection, the fronts appeared to be 6-pot calipers. As for the car's handling, we're pretty sure that it will be all-wheel drive, with a new version of Nissan's ATTESA system. For the record, the car had little trouble negotiating the Carousel at more than 110 mph. Its lap times were reported to be around 8 minutes flat, quite impressive for a test mule on a somewhat crowded track. Could it match or eclipse the Porsche 911 Turbo's time in the 7-minute-40-second range in an all-out effort? The answer awaits us in just a few months.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That is nothing short of laughable. Say hello to your new ultimate sports car America.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
OMGOMGOMGoGMGOmgogomgollyyyyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm !!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
SWEET! but i would still rather have the R34. doesn't the GT-R remind you guys of Toyota's FT-HS (from front wind-shield on back)?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Yes the GTR-35 looks similar in design to the FT-HS.

Man, I miss the Supra...
Old 02-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
argh...

time to start saving up... and sell a kidney or two

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hmmm, i've been, and always will be a Skyline biased fan...but i wonder how the FT-HS will be as a competitor, if they make it. it has 400 hp and its target 0-60 is 4 seconds...only thing is it isn't a stick...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro

here are a couple pix of the FT-HS I took at the Detroit Auto Show, so ya'll can compare

here is the Lexus version

Last edited by Black Yaris; 02-09-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
ht-hs is smokin hot, er :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:21 AM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
And they are both Hybrids
Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
firefly1_0
What the...?

Drives: '06 Blazing Blue 3 door RS.
Ahhh, the illusive GT-R.

i think it will be somewhat anti-climatic when i does show up for sale this side of the pond...

think of it this way, you make a special trip to a little store to get a rare candy bar and its a treat every time you do.

a few months later its everywhere and you are disappointed in the way it tastes because every man woman and child has one in their back pocket...

give me the Mk II supra thats parked in my backyard any day...

...and the engine is way smaller.

silly ricer, useless wings are for penguins...
firefly1_0 is offline   Reply With Quote