Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
kobe52

Drives: Yaris
TRD Sway bar rattle after new suspension install

Hey y'all, I got a 09 Yaris sedan and just recently replaced the stock susp with TRD springs and tein struts/shocks. After install, I noticed a light shallow rattle sound in the rear over very shallow road bumps, sounds like the shaking a deck of cards in the box. Rechecked and retightened all the bolts. Emptied the trunk etc if it was item noise. Noise didn't go away.

When taking it for alignment I asked them to check the rear if they could find play while car was on the ramps. Apparently the sway bar has some play/flex and is rattling on the torsion beam.

Is there any suggested remedies?I've had the sway bar since 22' June. When I first installed it back then, it had the same noise, but it went away when I retightened one of the shock bolts. But now all 4 bolts seem pretty tight and to torque spec.

Maybe some sort of homemade dampener around the bar or somehow my stock shock bolts are backing off slightly(thread stretch?) and to either replace them or loctite/lock washer/nylocs?

Last edited by kobe52; 12-29-2023 at 04:34 PM.
kobe52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:44 PM   #2
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Yeah I would take that thick rubber double sided tape used for door seals or something like it and wrap it until its pressed agaisnt the torsion bar all the time so its no firmly in place.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote