Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #127
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Why didn't you just buy a center cluster with a tach in it?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #128
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Why didn't you just buy a center cluster with a tach in it?
They are expensive ($600) and there was much unresolved debate on this forum as to whether or not it would be a simple swap.

On that topic though - it still boggles my mind how Toyota reasoned that not including a tach in all MT Yarii - while including them with the AT's - was a good decision. So, yeah, I wish mine had come with the tach cluster, but it didn't so I bought one and installed it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #129
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
thats looks nice and clean... i like that one.
I agree, it looks great. Didn't realize that 3M tape was that good for
that type of installation. Being that my car is new, I am leery of drilling
holes, though if I took my time, I could do it right.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #130
A-tron

Drives: Black hb
im diging the center mount.
A-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #131
mackie421

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Finally got around to installing my Sunpro tach in my '08 today. Thanks to all of you for your information! Couldn't have done it without this thread.

I used all of the same connections, except that the bottom left wire coming out of the OBD port in my '08 was orange, not blue-green. I think someone mentioned that his '09 was orange as well.

Sorry no pics, but it looks pretty much the same as everyone else's 2 5/8 inch tachs..
mackie421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #132
FallingSakura

Drives: S13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. CANTON View Post
What tach is that? does it clear the glove box?
FallingSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #133
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I also installed my tach last week using this thread. The only thing I did differently was run the lighting wire to the power wire so the gauge is always backlit.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #134
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Here's My tach install

I used the instructions on this thread with one change (I hooked the dimmer to the stereo dimmer seeing as the new head unit didnt use it anymore)

I also chose to mount it in the upper glove to try to make it less noticeable. In hind sight, I wish the Tach itsself was a little larger and easyier to read, but hey, I can always get a bigger one later

Here are some pics

The Ground Wire

The Tach signal Wire

The power Wire

Im still a little unsure about how safe it is to be running the power wire from the fuse box like I did I gess I can always change it later too.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #135
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I just received my 3-3/4" Autometer Autogage tach. Let the installation melee begin! :-p

FYI, I found a video on "How to install a tachometer on a Toyota Echo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVWD98_nHd4

Is this similar to installing on a Yaris?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #136
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
I'm trying to understand how to install a tach. I've been attempting to research on here, read through this thread, and find what will be best for me (as I'm sure most of you have seen my different posts on this subject by now).

My question is this, can this be done without drilling holes anywhere in either the dash or other places? I'm sure I can mount the actual tach to the steering column using velcro or a strong doublesided tape. However, I am concerned about the wire routing. Is it possible? Has anyone done something like this?

Truthfully, being as I don't know that much about these kinds of wiring (I've done stereo installs only), the pictures that are here help, but I don't completely understand their orientation to the vehicle itself. Can someone help explain?

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #137
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
I'm trying to understand how to install a tach. I've been attempting to research on here, read through this thread, and find what will be best for me (as I'm sure most of you have seen my different posts on this subject by now).

My question is this, can this be done without drilling holes anywhere in either the dash or other places? I'm sure I can mount the actual tach to the steering column using velcro or a strong doublesided tape. However, I am concerned about the wire routing. Is it possible? Has anyone done something like this?

Truthfully, being as I don't know that much about these kinds of wiring (I've done stereo installs only), the pictures that are here help, but I don't completely understand their orientation to the vehicle itself. Can someone help explain?
I didn't have to drill any holes for mine. If I ever remove it all I would have to do is clean up the 3M tape residue and no one would ever know it was there.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #138
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
So I was just showing this thread to my boyfriend. He doesn't like how in the pictures people have tapped into the OBD port for the rpm readout. As he put it, "it voids the warranty like a sunofabitch." Is there a way to create a OBD plug-in for any regular aftermarket dial tach, so that no wires are actually snipped in this process?

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #139
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Warranties are voided by tapping wires, unless something is damaged by doing so. The tach signal on the OBDII connector is there for diagnostic purposes.

You could purchase a J1962 male connector to plug into the OBDII port to grab the tach signal, but you'd still need to grab power and an illumination from wires under the dash.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #140
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've done mods like that and never ever had a problem with dealer servicing, never been questioned about things like tachs etc. This is something for each person to choose what is comfortable for them, and depends somewhat on their relationship with the dealer.

On my Yaris, I know a dealer is never going to see it for servicing again, so my choice with this one is easy.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #141
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
It's relatively easy to install a tach in the Yaris as all the wire connections that are required can be made in the same general location, right near the steering column.

No drilling, etc is nessary if you use double sided tape to mount the tach.

Personally, I installed a "Speed Hut Revolution tach" (after seeing Altitude's post and pics) and really like it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #142
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
So I was just showing this thread to my boyfriend. He doesn't like how in the pictures people have tapped into the OBD port for the rpm readout. As he put it, "it voids the warranty like a sunofabitch." Is there a way to create a OBD plug-in for any regular aftermarket dial tach, so that no wires are actually snipped in this process?
I didn't tap the tach wire. I left the end of the signal wire from the tach bare and twisted (tinning it with solder would probably have been better) and just stuck it into the tach wire hole on the OBD connector and put a small drop of glue on it to hold it in place. It can be easily removed.

There are a couple of options for the power and lighting but you'll likely have to tap the lighting unless you want to wire the tach's backlight as always on with the 12v. You can use one of those fuse taps that connect at the fuse box.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #143
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Just finished installing my tach, but I haven't connected the illumination wire. I don't know which way to go, the brown wire from the dimmer or the #9 fuse?

I'd like to have dimming for this one, but I guess I can live without it, I prefer connecting it to the fuse even if that doesn't give me dimming. Can anyone confirm?
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #144
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Just finished installing my tach, but I haven't connected the illumination wire. I don't know which way to go, the brown wire from the dimmer or the #9 fuse?

I'd like to have dimming for this one, but I guess I can live without it, I prefer connecting it to the fuse even if that doesn't give me dimming. Can anyone confirm?
I connected my tach's illumination wires to the #2 fuse (Panel1).

I also added a "dimmer" that you might be intetresed in.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=dim+tach
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote